VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Star Trek, and always have ever since I was a kid.

But here is where you can say 'that really doesn't work'... my biggest pet peeve is the universal translator. Shouldn't they all look like a badly dubbed godzilla movie? Mouths not matching up with the words?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The universal translator hacks into your minds creating the allusion of the lips actually moving with the words.

My biggest pet peeve is the rubber-foreheaded alien trope. C'mon, you visit all these planets but yet you are telling me that all aliens across the universe look essentially like us with maybe a different shaped skull, ear lobe or nose?

Also, warp drive is impossible since you can't actually send information outside the warp bubble and therefore would never be able to get the ship to stop.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Not to mention, even if "warp drive" or light speed was made, it would take a really long time just to go from star to star. Technology is amazing but it will never get past light speed. The universe has limits, and we can't surpass them sometimes.

For example, the closest star to Sol is Alpha Centauri, at a distance of 40 light years away. Even if we managed to get a craft going at light speed, the fastest possible, it would take us 40 years just to get there. Hence, unless some kind of wormhole opening/closing technology was discovered, or we were able to surpass light speed just enough so we actually went back in time (as in the trip actually takes 40 years but feels like 20 minutes for both parties, in and out of craft - long, complex story) traveling huge distances like that is convoluted and kind of impossible. Actually, not impossible, just extremely improbable.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I think Alpha Centauri is closer than that, but it's at least several lightyears away. And most are much farther- I think our galaxy alone is more than a hundred light-years across.

Faster-than-light travel is generally thought to be impossible, but what always strained my ability to believe were the time travel episodes.

ETA: and hybrids between humans and another species such as Vulcans. Vulcans had different blood chemistry and differently-arranged internal organs.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Uniforms with zippers up the back really don't work.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

The universal translator hacks into your minds creating the allusion of the lips actually moving with the words.

Quote:

My biggest pet peeve is the rubber-foreheaded alien trope. C'mon, you visit all these planets but yet you are telling me that all aliens across the universe look essentially like us with maybe a different shaped skull, ear lobe or nose?
Yeah that's always bothered me as well.

Not to mention the fact that apparently we can go to any alien planet in the galaxy and eat the local food without any trouble at all. Jesus, I can't even take a trip to Mexico without getting severe gastro-intestinal distress but apparently we can travel light-years to alien planets and the food is always edible.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Oh, and if someone's new and in a red shirt you already know not to get too attached to them.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:

Also, warp drive is impossible since you can't actually send information outside the warp bubble and therefore would never be able to get the ship to stop.
Well, what if the warp bubble was like a whoopie cushion, with a bladder at one end? That would work, wouldn't it?

I think I figured out the backward zipper problem: they must have mini-tractor beams they use for getting in and out of their uniforms.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Well, what if the warp bubble was like a whoopie cushion, with a bladder at one end? That would work, wouldn't it?
:O

Actually...

Actually, yes it would...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

That would be so freaking cool... if everytime the Enterprise went to warp there was this huge farting sound.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
My question is, do they have sonic bidets in the 24th-century, or do they merely replicate toilet paper, and if so, does one have a choice between brands, softness, texture, etc., or is this a privilege reserved solely for bridge officers?

Seriously, if it's possible, Alpha Centauri is about 4.37 lightyears from Sol. Our galaxy the Milky Way, however, is about 100,000 lightyears in diameter.

According to Sternbach and Okuda, two of The Next Generation's designers and techno-babble experts, only about 17% of the galaxy has been explored by the Federation at the time of the Enterprise-D. There are discrepancies in the universe, however. For example, according to them, warp factor one IS the speed of light. After this, warp factors go up, exponentially, with a gradual degradation in efficiency, so that, theoretically, warp ten is unattainable, because power usage approaches infinity. But, in the episode, All Good Things, the Enterprise, fitted with a third nacelle, was able to haul butt at warp thirteen. So much for theory. Anyway, warp two is about 9-times the speed of light, warp three, 15-times, and so on, until warp nine is in the neighborhood of 1000-times the speed of light. At warp nine, a ship could cross between earth and Alpha Centauri in half a day.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I've never really watched Star Trek.

(I did see the recent re-boot movie, and I decided there is something supremely sexy about Spock. He's all, "HURR, I AM STOIC! I CAN KICK SERIOUS ASS!" Lemme tell you, if that's the case, I'm sold. Order me one of him.)

But I saw this video, and have since decided the video creator is onto something when she says "Working on the Enterprise is pretty much a non-stop party as far as I'm concerned. Probably because the only parts I pay attention to are the Kirk/Spock moments, Scotty when he's drinking, Chekov when he's macking on his girlfriend and doing no work, and Uhura singing."

Also, because she is clearly making fun of Ke$ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZWaWrvJ7nA

Maybe I should start watching.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:

They actually go on to explain that to some extent far later in the series by saying that all the intelligent races were "seeded" millions of years ago by a vanished transsapient culture, and therefore evolved into similar forms. It's sort of a stretch scientifically but it's based loosely on the real hypothesis of Panspermia, although in Pansmermia hypotheses there's not always a deliberate "seeding" of the genetic material.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:

T
EDIT: I swear I answered Rotoshaves question before I saw JoshJames reply.

They actually came up with an explanation for this. In TNG, Picard and crew visited a dead planet and discovered a long dead race of beings that claimed (from their recordings) that they looked for life elsewhere in the universe but found none, so they seeded the galaxy with their DNA and the various environmental conditions on each planet allowed different bipedal beings to evolve.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

Uniforms with zippers up the back really don't work.
I think there are gizmoes to deal with that, even available in the 20th century.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I think there are gizmoes to deal with that, even available in the 20th century.
Mini-tractor beams.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

Mini-tractor beams.
Nothing so fancy, more like an alligator-clip device and a chain to pull on. The next time I see one advertised in a mail-order magazine I'll try to remember to post the link here.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Nothing so fancy, more like an alligator-clip device and a chain to pull on. The next time I see one advertised in a mail-order magazine I'll try to remember to post the link here.
Motorized zippers?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts