VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a Smiths song on the radio the other day - when I was half asleep in bed. And wondered why I'd neer listened to them before. Anyone a fan? If so where is the best place to start?

I'm the type of person that buys EVERYTHING a band has ever put out so feel free to make a list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Smiths were GREAT! There is not really a bad place to start. . . there's not really a bad place to start, but I would say start with either 'The Smiths,' 'Meat Is Murder,' or 'The Queen Is Dead.' After you have collected all of the Smiths you can handle, if you're not sick of Morrissey's voice and lyrics by then, you'll probably want to start picking up his solo stuff, which is a little less consistently good than the work he did with the Smiths . . . but still worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yum... the Smiths. You can't really go wrong with them. If you're new to them, they have a couple best of albums that, while not exhaustive, are a decent place to start. Otherwise, you can just get everything.

I was listening to them during my workout yesterday, in fact. Good stuff.

·
Registered
712 Posts
yes yes.

and Bona Drag is a great Morrissey album.

Here in Manchester there is a 'Morrissey / Smiths' club nite on ever couple of months, where (funnily enough) every single song played is by the Smiths or Morrissey (or a cover version). And maybe a David Bowie, Pulp or Suede track thrown in for good measure.

I always have a great time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Smiths fan. My favourite album is Hatful of Hollow, but it's probably not the best one to start off with. Try 'The Queen is Dead' or 'Meat is Murder'. There are tons of Best Of... albums too, but none of them are very good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rank isn't bad either (live LP), but I think The Queen is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come are the two best. Hatful of Hollow is great too. The Smiths were really cool at releasing singles that were non-album tracks, Panic is one I think, and Ask, these appear on most compilations.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Smiths is one of two groups I love to death, but am ashamed to admit so. (due to their extreme 80's-ness) The other is Simon and Garfunkel. But nonetheless, the Smiths, and Morrisey, are both so so very good!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was a huge fan of the Smiths when they hit the big time in the early 80's. I had friends who worked in a record shop and they were fanatics. I've still got a white lable of "William it was really nothing" they gave me. The Smiths were really badly misunderstood in the 80's, and most people (inc the press) hooked onto the title of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and decided that they were therefore a sad and misearable band, without ever actually listening to the lyrics to see that perhaps there was more than one way to interperet the meaning.

For me the Smiths improved with age. The musicianship got tighter and the songwriting matured.

Best albums? I'd have to agree with Riceboy, best album (and high in my top ten) The Queen is Dead followed by Strangeways Here We Come. As a newbie to the Smiths I'd really recommend Louder than Bombs as it covers their entire output and (if I remember correctly) is not just a singles album. Pure class act.

·
Registered
62 Posts
indeed! brilliant lyrics, yammy sound, and Morrisseys' voice - while taking a bit getting used to - is really full of soul.

my faovrite songs, in both sound and lyrics are 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', 'The Queen Is Dead', and 'Bigmouth Strikes Again'.

this is from 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', brilliantly condensing an intelligent criticism into seemingly silly lyrics:

"From the ice-age to the dole-age

There is but one concern

I have just discovered :

Some girls are bigger than others

Some girl's mothers are bigger than

Other girl's mothers

"

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Yeah, Morrissey has a great voice, not dull like most singing voices nowadays. The guitar parts are in some way original and unusual, an example would be How Soon Is Now, in which I think the guitars are pretty weird. (All the covers I know of that song are horrible, especially the t.a.t.u. version of course.) Although I generally dislike the cold sound of the 80's, I somehow have grown to like the Smiths a lot.

I'm not sure what I consider the best album. Haven't concentrated much on Strangeways or their first album, so for me the best album at the moment is either The Queen Is Dead or Meat Is Murder. Both albums have excellent tracks. "Frankly, Mr. Shankly" has one of my favourite lines ("I didn't realize that you wrote poetry/ I didn't realize you wrote such bloody awful poetry"), I don't apply any specific meaning to them, they just are great lines. "Bigmouth Strikes Again" is another of my favourites, great guitar melody and odd lyrics. And the third great track from TQID is "The Boy with the Thorn In His Side", a good love song.

Lyrically the song Meat Is Murder might be the best song by the Smiths, although I never listen to it, it's too sad: the lyrics are kinda preachy, but they were intended that way, and the good message is there nevertheless.

And Meat Is Murder has "Barbarism Begins at Home", which I guess is my all time favourite track from the Smiths. The guitar (yet again) melody/riff/whatever is absolutely wonderful, the guitars somehow sound cynical and desperate and aggressive at the same time, and the lyrics are very simple but sad, dealing with domestic violence.

Like someone said before in this thread, viewing the Smiths as a completely depressed and miserable band is exaggeration, although (again great in their simplicity) lines like "and when I'm lying in my bed/ I think about life and I think about death/ and neither one particularly appeals to me" are pretty pessimistic.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I actually love the pessimism of the The Smiths -- it usually comes off as somewhat self-mocking or tongue-in-cheek to me.

Put me down as another Smifs fan and also an unabashed fan of 80s music... not the stuff they play on 80s retro stations so much, more the bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Psychedelic Furs, Love and Rockets, and of course The Smiths

·
Registered
0 Posts
I own "The Queen is Dead" and it I like it a lot. What other albums of their's would you suggest that's kind of in the same vain as that record?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
They're all great albums. Try some of Morrissey's solo albums too. Many don't believe they're as good as his work with Johnny Marr, specifically, and the Smiths in general; but, I happen to believe Viva Hate is excellent.

Any Smiths/Morrissey album you can get your hands on will make you happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts