VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want to write about an incident that happened this afternoon and i hope this is the right thread. my story does have to do with animal rights but someone can move it if it is wrong...

disclaimer:: you might need a tissue if you are as emotional as me

today was my first day back at work since three weeks ago and i was kinda excited cause i get to ride my bike along the canal/river which is the nicest and prettiest ride. alot of ducks live there so i was anxious to see the ducklings that are out and about at the moment (thanks to the nice warm weather) and i was curious to see how big they had grown.

so going to work was really pleasant, i saw some of the older ducklings that have certainly grown and i also saw some new ones they must have been born while i was away. so so sweet

coming home wasn't as nice ..... let me just explain that being summer and not many places to swim (well there is only the indoor pool) ALOT of kids/teens come down to the canal to swim and i really do mean alot of them. they sit with their friends (often drinking alcohol) and go swimming when the weather is good, cause it's nice and shady and with lots of trees and long grass. the perfect place to spend the afternoon relaxing.

so back to my story, when i was halfway home i came across three young boys (perhaps about 13 years old) who were throwing stones at a mother duck and her ducklings. i often see this and always say something and this time i immediately slammed my brakes on and shouted HEY!!! and the kid put down the stone and said something to me (but i didn't understand cause he was speaking german) and i just stood there giving them evil looks letting them know that their actions are not tolerated by me and i will not watch them throw objects (as other passer-by's did) at the ducks. so then they walked a few metres away and i kinda left cause there's not much i could say to them (unless i had of spoken english to them but they wouldn't have understood me)..... anyway, i got past a few bushes (3 metres or so along the bike track) and i looked back at the mother and her ducklings and i saw that one of the babies was floating there, not moving and s/he was on it's side. i freaked out totally, turned around really fast and rode back to the kids and yelled (in bad german, the only words i could remember "IT'S DEAD" and i was trying not to cry while looking at the dead duckling and her mother quacking frantically at her dead baby and then going back to her alive babies. then i think the kids tried to tell me that it wasn't them that killed it and is was one of the kayakers (who frequent the canal) ..... and i didn't know what to believe... i was crying by then (luckily my sunglasses hid this) and i was in shock. i just stood there for about 5 mins not knowing what to do watching the mother circling around the dead baby and quacking her little heart out

i took off and kept crying as i was riding home.

i still want to cry now when i picture the innocent little duckie who had a whole life ahead of her/him and it was taken away by heartless humans.

she/he mustn't have been more than a few weeks old

the people swimming are in the ducks home so we should respect them but the majority of people are SO uncaring and don't give any thought to them at all.

the amount of people i see throwing stones at the ducks is astonishing AND i see dogs chasing after them too. it makes me so mad

i'm sorry if that was really long but i am still really upset about it.

i wish i could have done more.

i felt so frsutrated that i couldn't explain myself properly and why they shouldn't be throwing things at animals. maybe one day my german will improve

i realise i've missed out a whole lot of other thoughts in this post but i must get to bed.

my wish is that more people would see animals as individuals and not just a piece of the landscape.
LL

·
Registered
878 Posts
i hate people that chase or do anything to the ducks it makes me so mad

like a little while ago there was this huge family at the beach and the little kids were chasing the baby ducks

so me and my friend are like HEY !

then im like STOP CHASING THE GEESE THEY ARE ENDANGERED !

so maybe they wud stop

meanwhile the parents are cookin and talkin not caring if THEIR STUPID LITTLE KIDS CHASE THE GEESE

anyways then later me and my friend were just floating around in my air matteress and we see the little kids again only this time they ave a metal or tin can and they are throwing them at the geese and it hits this little babby that cant keep up when they are running away

i felt so angry and my friend started screaming stop and all this

thank god for my friend shes the only one that cared out of all my other frineds !

but anyway i cant beleive the parents were ot caring too like wut kind of people will they be when they are older !

·
Registered
146 Posts
im not a big fan of crying, but this made me cry. it's almost like no one cares any more. we are conditioned not to care, and we throw away our admiration for life and our innocence. and by the time we realize what we've done, both are gone. have you ever read "howl" by allen ginsberg? he says it better than i can, but i can see it a little more everyday. what kind of world will we have to wake up to 50 years from now, and will the next generation hold it to an even lower standard than we do now? it's really not for me to say wether this can be slowed down or if it is just inevitable. people talk about keeping tommorrow as bright as today, but what happened to you is a reminder that today is pretty darn blithe too. i really can't begin to understand why these things are allowed to happen. i just wish something would hit us to show us what a miracle the world is. then maybe we'd respect it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i am more than happy to simply not assosiate with a large percentage of the human race. why do we (ick i don't like to use that word) act so stupid? humans are supposed to be evolved and smart and crap (though i personally think we arn't the smartest) so why can't people get it in their heads the KILLY IS WRONG. i never realized that that was such a hard concept for most people to grasp.

oh well, i'm in agrement with xeno, what little faith i had is quickly disapearing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That is so horrible! I hate when people think torturing and hurting animals is humorous and a "cool" thing to do!

I remember, my mother told me, when they were kids, my uncle use to stick frogs on their electric horse fences, and put firecrackers in the mouths and watch them explode. I never look at my uncle the same way...it is so pointless and cruel, and all it ends up in is a life being taken for simple, cold-hearted entertainment! What is the freaking point?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.