VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find an older thread on salads but it was taking too long. So, new year, new thread.

I love salads of all kinds. I could eat them day and night, every day of the week. I think of salads as a blank canvas. I can make a salad from any kind of ingredients that I like. I've made salads without lettuce. I've made coleslaw and skipped the mayonnaise dressing and dressed the coleslaw with a vinaigrette instead. I make HUGE salads and eat them as the main course, with soup and bread and sometimes a baked potato as the side dish.

These days I've been adding beets, walnuts and dried cherries to my salads for extra nutritional punch.

What about the rest of you salad lovers? What goes into your salads?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Spinach.

No dressing.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Sounds like a pretty boring salad to me.
Sorry, I prefer to eat my vegetables separate from each other.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I usually have grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber sliced up with the skin removed, some type of lettuce or spinach, sweetcorn, peas and bell peppers.

I often add chickpeas or cooked cold pasta. My favourite dressing is vegan mayo but I also have lemon juice or balsamic with olive oil and sea salt. I want to experiment with dressings more.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Also, vinaigrette is the worst dressing ever, anyone who puts balsamic vinegar in a salad at all deserves an evil glare to the face.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I also love potato salad with vegan mayo and fresh chopped chives.
Yum. I used to make eggless egg salad with tofu but I went off that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Also, vinaigrette is the worst dressing ever, anyone who puts balsamic vinegar in a salad at all deserves an evil glare to the face.
Go eat your dry spinach Popeye.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I usually use romaine, with cucumbers, tomatoes, nuts and raspberry vinaigrette.
Now I wish I had lettuce because I have everything else...

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Go eat your dry spinach Popeye.
eh, sometimes I put a bit of oil and spices in my salad

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I LOVE my mock ceasar salad.... it's soooo good.

I blend soaked cashews, pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), fresh lemon juice, olive oil, fresh garlic, sea salt, black pepper. Sometimes I'll throw some miso or nutritional yeast in, too, for more flavour

Pour that over a huge bowl of romaine leaves, with whatever veggies you desire (however it traditionally doesn't have many other things added)

Before I went gluten free I used to toss in some chopped up seitan (or Gardein chi'kn cutlets). You can add simulated bacon bits if you eat that kind of thing

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am a huge salad fan!

I like spinach or some other sort of dark green lettuce or leafy thing. Tomatoes are a must. I almost always choose some sort of vinaigrette dressing; sometimes I just use vinegar without oil.

I also like to add carrots, cucumbers, a little bit of cheese, broccoli, artichokes, olives, beets, and some red cabbage. (There's an awesome salad bar at my food coop; that's how I sometimes have such great options)

What are everybody's favorite proteins to add to salads? If I'm at a salad bar with good tofu, I like that. I also like chickpeas or hard-boiled eggs. I would like to mix it up though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

What are everybody's favorite proteins to add to salads? If I'm at a salad bar with good tofu, I like that. I also like chickpeas or hard-boiled eggs. I would like to mix it up though.
I put in all sources and traces of protein I can find when I'm at a salad bar.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I am a huge salad fan!

I like spinach or some other sort of dark green lettuce or leafy thing. Tomatoes are a must. I almost always choose some sort of vinaigrette dressing; sometimes I just use vinegar without oil.

I also like to add carrots, cucumbers, a little bit of cheese, broccoli, artichokes, olives, beets, and some red cabbage. (There's an awesome salad bar at my food coop; that's how I sometimes have such great options)

They have a salad bar in the cafeteria at the hospital where I work, but I don't think anyone there knows what tofu is; I've never seen it used there. There aren't many veg*an choices there. I also get chickpeas and eggs when they're available.

I've been thinking of bringing extra protein with me to add to the salads I get at work. Tofu is one thing, Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

They have a salad bar in the cafeteria at the hospital where I work, but I don't think anyone there knows what tofu is; I've never seen it used there. There aren't many veg*an choices there. I also get chickpeas and eggs when they're available.

I've been thinking of bringing extra protein with me to add to the salads I get at work. Tofu is one thing, Any other suggestions?
Beans
Fried soy meat
Lentils
Quinoa

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I love salad, and I'll throw in anything I can think of or have a taste for. Bell peppers, cucumber, beans and peas, those sesame seed sticks, all sorts of lettuces and greens, especially ones that aren't green
, carrots, beets, fruit, sprouts, the list goes on. And pretty salads make me happy, so if I'm even in a less-than-happy mood, a pretty salad could do the trick.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Sometimes I'll make a taco salad. I take Yves veggie mince, fry it up with some taco seasonings, and put it on lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, crumbled tortilla chips and ranch dressing.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I love fresh fruit in salads-berries, pineapple, orange.
Olives, cucumbers, zucchini, red bell pepper, sunflower seeds or slivered almonds, any kind of beans but mostly garbanzos.
I like miso-tahini dressing, or an oil/vinegar. I don't like much dressing at all, just a touch.
I really don't like raw tomatos

1 - 20 of 33 Posts