VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

· Registered
6,222 Posts
I've recently gotten back into running and so far it's going well. I haven't gotten my speed back yet (not that I was ever super fast) but can do 5miles comfortably now. I signed up for a half marathon in September as something to train for!

· Registered
6,222 Posts
I've been out of town and pretty busy the past 5 days so I couldn't get much running in. I have to say I miss it! Looking forward to getting back into a routine with it now that I'm home!

Also, I find I snack on junk food more when I'm not running....

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Just ran 3.8 miles at 10:00 at night... The temp is in the 80s (F) right now and the humidity made me feel like I was swimming, not running
Looks like tomorrow will be a treadmill day...

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerit View Post

This may sound really pathetic, but I ran a two mile race in 22:17. Sad, I know, but I've been overweight and bubble all my life, so this was a good start to me.

On the subject of chubbiness, I went down a pant size. WOOT!
It's not pathetic, you're just starting out!! Keep up the awesome work!

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!
I intend to stick with it so long as my feet/knees let me keep going.
I'm an overpronator and that's given me some issues (foot, knee, hip, and back pain) throughout the years, but I've found that strength-training, weight loss, and paying attention to how I balance on my feet / consciously rolling my feet back outward have all helped. If I need to, I'll wrap my feet again, consider arch support, etc.
I'm a big-time overpronator and have had knee surgery in the past. Sounds like you have a good game plan! The two things that REALLY help me are strength training and making sure I add milage to my routine SLOWLY no matter how good I feel/how much I can do. Best of luck!

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I just found this great interview with vegan ultra-marathoner Scott Jurek: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/avital...3.html?ir=Food

I... I can't even fathom running that much!

It's super inspiring to say the least, reading that and reading this thread have got me considering getting my lazy butt off the couch more
Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes is a pretty good read (he's not vegan). It's about him running in school, giving it up and getting back into it in his 30s...

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

ooo On wed I ran my 3 miles in 24 minutes!!!! Im thrilled I didnt realize I was getting back in shape so fast! Today I have 3 miles also
My son has an early doc appointment so after that.
Congratulations on the pace!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl View Post

Good luck Addie! Looking forward to the report.

I am all over the place in how long it takes me to run...depends on the surface (sand or ashpalt), temperature, humidity and whether or not I have to BE somewhere or can pay attention to the trees and the wildlife along the way.

Sadly, the maritime forest I showed in the photos a page or two back has been burning for a week. We've had a drought and a thoughtless camper in a hurry threw his cooking charcoal into the woods on his way out of town thinking it was out. So far, on sixth of the forest hast burned. All of us here are deeply concerned for the old growth trees (300 years old) and the wildlife.

Sad that we may have lost our main running trails for months, and the beauty and shade for years.
I'm am so sorry to hear about the fire

· Registered
6,222 Posts
My 5k run this morning was definitely fun. It was hot and sunny but, considering the time of the year, the humidity wasn't bad. My pace was pretty good and near what I was hoping for. I started a little further back in the crowd than I should have, so my start was a little slow but that's ok. The course was an out and back along one of the rivers in DC. Nice view. And the event was cool, it was organized to raise money for a foundation that provides medical support/money to wounded soldiers and their families.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.