VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
I can't go to town as often. I can, but it's not worth it. We try harder to combine even more errands than normal. I'm forced to stay home and workout here rather than at the gym which i enjoy sooooo much more. Tighten up.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't drive. Thank goodness. I would be homeless if I had to pay for gas (and a car payment and insurance).

Shouldn't all cars be electric by now? What the hell are we waiting for?!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Right now not much. I use about 18 gallons of gas a month. At $3/per that's $54 a month. At $4/per it's $72. So less than $20 difference to me in direct costs. However if we are talking about all the other things I use that depend on petroleum to be made and shipped it makes a much bigger impact.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's not the price that bothers me so much as the gasoline itself. If I lived in a bigger city with lots of pedestrians or a town that actually caters to bicyclists, or if the local mass transit actually went through my neighborhood, I'd choose one of these alternate forms of transportation. Most definitely.

·
Registered
16,247 Posts
I'm very frugal about how often I'm willing to drive. Much of my daily needs can be accomplished on foot, but I do find that I have to drive across town or up to the Valley a couple times a week. I'm so broke these days as it is, I have to be very specific about when and where I actually drive.

·
Registered
18,258 Posts
I just eat a lot of beans and they are pretty cheap.

Joking. I do not drive and with the rest who said I would not be able to afford it anyway. I even think if I was working it would be out of my budget.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I keep having to spend more and more on gas. I think the government should put in legislation to control unnecesssary increase in gas prices (i.e. whenever there's a war going on in oil-producing countries which happens a lot these days).

·
Ankle Biter
18,427 Posts
So far, I'm fine. While nothing but a convenience store and an ABC store are within walking distance, I don't have to drive far at all to do what's necessary. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods trips might become less frequent, but that's okay. I drive a mini, so my mileage is quite good.

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
I keep researching more and more about converting a gas powered car to electric. Saw a pickup truck online the other day, where they hid the 18 golf cart batteries under the bed of the truck.

Also getting closer to pumping up the tires on one of my curbside bike finds and also thinking about how big of a mini "truck bed" I could build on the back of the bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Years ago when gas first went over $2 a gallon, I started cutting back on my driving and combining trips. I'm so used to it now that it is second nature. If gas went back down to less than $1 I would probably continue the habit just because its better or the planet.

With this recent price hike to over $3 a gallon, I have noticed that when there are social events aways from my house, I'm not as likely to go if I feel obligated but wouldn't otherwise go. I have only gone to the events that really mean something to me. This is actually a good thing, because it is helping me learn to say no and be OK with it and also realize that people often don't care/notice or if they do, the ruffled feathers are usually temporary.

I have also considered getting a motorcycle. I'd keep my truck too, but the bike would sure help with the gas milage. I drive a little old Ranger that gets about 24 mpg.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

it's ok for me. Even tho I drive far, my car is good on gas.
I feel horrible for all the soccer moms around here with their huge minivans. I don't know how they do it.
whew. thankfully i don't have a minivan and an evil suv.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.