VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to actually eating fresh fruits and veggies so I completely loaded up at the store so I would always have something vegetarian to eat on my week #1. I've never been a fan of pineapple, grapefruit or papaya and so I completely stopped eating them when I was a pre-teen.<br><br>
20 years later I decided to give them another chance and today I chopped up some pineapple and it was actually really good!!!! Moments later my tongue felt really funny, then shortly after that it felt like someone had been scouring my tongue with sandpaper!!! OUCH!!!! I only ate about a 1.5 cups and I already want to throw it away! I'll probably save the rest and make a juice tomorrow with some other veggies/fruits, hopefully that'll be better. I did some research and it seems that pineapple has a chemical <a href="http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/pineapple-enzyme-tenderize-steak1.htm" target="_blank">bromelain</a> that starts to "tenderize" your tongue, good thing it wasn't actually an allergy *phew*<br><br>
Are there any other "fun" surprises for this poor n00b? What kind of things did you discover when you switched to being a vegetarian?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Pineapples are very acid and may give you a sore tongue. Prehaps the one you had wasn't ripe enough so choose a <b><i>very ripe</i></b> one that has deep yellow skin a sweet smell to it.<br><br>
You can also counteract the acidity by adding a pinch of salt, soaking the fruit in water or eating it with yogurt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts