VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or does everyone think that all vegans are "PETA freaks?" Everyone associates vegans with PETA, which is not true. Do I like PETA? Some things I do, some things I don't, but that is besides the point!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I used to be a PETA member. That was actually when I was vegetarian, not vegan. I decided to stop being a member and I send my donation dollars elsewhere. I think they do a lot of good but they are also the kind of "go to" target whenever someone wants to put anyone down who is for animal rights or vegan/vegetarian.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally find PETA to be too extreme for my liking. There are other ways to get the point across about animal cruelty in a more positive way without going to the extremes that they do.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
PETA is extreme, but someone has to be, now don't they? I agree about the association, but I don't mind. I'm ok being connected to an organization that is making changes and saving animals, no matter how in your face they are. The truth is a tough pill to swallow, so maybe I think it's ok for PETA to shove it down people's throats from time to time.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Without going into the discussion about PETA, let me just say that the average person is very ignorant about a lot of things. Sadly, it becomes the duty of every vegetarian and vegan to explain that "No, we're not all PETA members, we just choose to be vegetarian or vegan. Usually the reasons for our vegetarianism or veganism is animals, the planet, and/or health reasons, but some people just grow up veg or go veg for a spouse or other loved one."

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have learned many years ago that Vegans are for the animals and they refrain from anything made out of them. I don't see them just as for PETA people there are other programs and agencies that combat animal welfare. Even tho PETA has some nice info about what to eat as Vegan and what to wear they are not always wise in other places.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Is it just me, or does everyone think that all vegans are "PETA freaks?" Everyone associates vegans with PETA, which is not true. Do I like PETA? Some things I do, some things I don't, but that is besides the point!
It's probably because they're one of the most visible, vocal and well funded animal oriented groups in the world. I agree with you that most of their campaigns of late don't represent my personal views on how veg*nism and AR should be presented, and I don't believe they're riding the wave of the future. Groups like Mercy for Animals get more constructive work done with far fewer donations, because they're focused on specific and hard hitting campaigns.

However, in the eyes of the average public, veg*n or AR = PETA. During my early leafleting experiments last year and earlier this year I had to explain to multiple people I'm not with PETA. In fact, I had at least three take the literature explicitly because I was not in PETA and they claimed they would reject it if it had been PETA literature. That is telling of the impact PETA has had, and it doesn't speak well of them.

On the other side of the coin, "Meet your Meat" probably had a more direct impact on my life than anything else ever has, and I can never thank the people responsible for that enough, regardless of who they work for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

PETA is extreme, but someone has to be, now don't they?
Not really, no. Not in that way. How much money do you think they spent on those "sea kitten" billboards? VO could have used that same amount of money to reach probably millions of people with leaflets, and probably create thousands of vegetarians, saving many more animals than the billboards from PETA. It really does come down to a resources war and numbers game. The total amount of people, money and energy we can put together as a community is less than one thousandth of what the meat industry and other animal exploiters can, so we have to identify the weak spots in their shiny armor and hit them with precision strikes that they'll feel. Read this recent article by Vegan Skeptic that explains just why not all publicity is good publicity. You can piss in the wind or you can go for the head shot. Personally I don't waste ammo.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
People tend to not think this about me because they usually know that I'm also a feminist and that I wouldn't approve of PETA's sexist garbage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A lot of people imagine this connection, yes.

To be perfectly honest, PETA was the organization that opened my eyes to vegetarianism in the first place at age 14. But growing up a bit and maturing a lot has taught me not to be so naive about everything. PETA can be helpful at times, but they participate in questionable things and a lot of their articles and campaigns just reek of intolerance for the opposing side. Not that you have to love your enemy, but I wouldn't really want to think of my fellow humans as enemies, especially when one is promoting respect to other species of animal. I think that's my biggest issue with PETA. They have no respect for humans unless they agree with them. It's not an organization that I would want to be affiliated or even associated with.

And I'm glad someone mentioned the "Sea Kitten" campaign. I appreciate PETA's effort to address the "fish don't count because they aren't cute", but the entire thing was really a joke to everyone. I will admit that I did dress up a cute little fish on their generator, though, lol....

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
yeah, but those are the people who don't see the goals of PETA to help animals as something good because oftheir small mind

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
The thing about folks being seen as "too extreme" is they move the bar so the rest of us look moderate by comparison. Necessary evil perhaps.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

The thing about folks being seen as "too extreme" is they move the bar so the rest of us look moderate by comparison. Necessary evil perhaps.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Good point!

But I must say I don't see the too extreme part of them....Omnis I know have accused them of being too much because of comparisons like holocaust to factory farming. people find it too extreme and offensive to compare the pain and suffering of animals to that of humans. and to me this is the idea that at some point should be accepted by the population, so PETA presenting it is a good thing

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
What to me is interesting about the Holocaust flap is that the campaign was primarily designed by a Jew, based on a book by a Jew, and bankrolled by a Holocaust survivor! Not that it was necessarily a WISE thing to do even still ...

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
PeTA does some good things. But it also does many bad things. The former do not excuse or redeem the latter IMO.
Mussolini made the trains run on time. But that did not make Mussolini a good guy.

PeTA does not have my support, and will never get any of my money. There are plenty of other veg*n and AR organizations much more worthy of support, both financial and otherwise.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I support PETA in general, even though I am not crazy about all of their methods. Their end goals are the same as mine.

But yes, omnis in general often have a very negative view of them. That may be in part due to their methods and in part due to the fact that omnis do not like being confronted with the truth. PETA's extreme methods simply make it easier to ridicule or dismiss them.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I don't consider myself to be associated with Peta just because I am a vegan. I have donated money to them but I don't agree with some of their more risible tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

PeTA does some good things. But it also does many bad things. The former do not excuse or redeem the latter IMO.
Mussolini made the trains run on time. But that did not make Mussolini a good guy.
Sorry to be a pedant but I think that was just a propaganda myth.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The extreme-ness of PETA doesn't bother me. ALF is far more extreme, I agree someone does have to be extreme because no social changes have ever been made without extreme actions. That being said there are better/more effective means PETA could be using. I don't agree with the sexism involved with most of their campaigns and advertisements its almost like "respect animals, not women". Also their "boycott maple syrup to end the seal hunt" made no sense. Maple syrup is often made in Ont and Quebec by small independent companies and has nothing to do the seal hunt on the east cost.
PETA has made a couple of good videos though, "Meet your meat" and the mars animal testing videos were both very well done.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't like much of what PeTA does. I think their hearts are in the right place, but I don't agree with many of their methods. I would say that the problem is that they aren't extreme enough and they - like sequoia pointed out - exploit other groups for the sake of advancing AR.

The comparison to the Holocaust is valid, and it's not something they should feel the need to apologize for. I'd like to see less frivolity on their part, zero exploitative practices, and more hardcore messages. There's more than one way to get attention. I think an AR organization should get attention by shocking people - with images, with words, etc.; make people think - rather than titillating them.

Which is not to say that I'm against a more gentle approach. There's a place for that, too, and PeTA is allowed to take more than one approach. But there's a right way to do that, and a wrong way...

Giving awards to people like Temple Grandin? No AR organization should be in the business of doing that kind of thing. I'm not saying organizations can't take take/promote any welfarist measures, but these need to be seen for what they really are: not much in the way of help for the animals, not the real goal, and often only done when the industry profits from it in some way.

So, no, I don't support PeTA. I don't see myself as being precisely against them, but I think the AR movement as a whole needs to separate itself from many of the sorts of things they do.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts