Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live food carnivorous/omnivorous.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to see what everyone thinks about keeping pets. The reason for my sudden interest is that my roommate recently bourght a frog that only eats live food. Morally I am questioning whether I should take part in the care of the animal or just have nothing to do with it.

Is it too ironic that my pet eats live animals and I don't eat any animals at all?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think it would be more unethical to cage and starve a creature than to feed it the food it was designed to eat. If you are going to partake in the domestication of an animal, you have to care for it. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonPep'r View Post

I think it would be more unethical to cage and starve a creature than to feed it the food it was designed to eat. If you are going to partake in the domestication of an animal, you have to care for it. Just my opinion though.
I agree with that...once you own the animal it would be cruel to deprive it of its needs. However, buy purchasing this animal I am contributing to the deaths of more animals (insects and mice) because of the pet's nutritional needs. As a vegetarian, my goal is to reduce animal suffering and deaths.

Is the difference between the animals I would eat versus the animals my pets eats so drastically different that it is insignificant? I don't think so. And yet, I still own the pet and had no problems purchasing it with my friend. I guess I am at a moral crossroads...where do I draw the line? Is this whole idea hypocritical?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I voted rescue animals only. I do have a snake who eats frozen mice, but I bought him about 12 years ago before I thought seriously about these issues. I'd never buy an animal again. I have 3 adopted cats too.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I would let your room mate care for it, but as for me, I couldn't do it. I am just too much of a softy and would feel terrible for the thing that had to be dinner and wouldn't want to watch that. I know that's the way it is in nature, but I can't watch that either.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I voted rescue pets only even though two of my present dogs aren't rescued. However, out of the 21 dogs we've owned or fostered in my life (15 years) only 3 have been brought as puppies: a Basset Hound when I was 1 year old, a Grand Basset Griffion Vendeen in 2003 who had to be put to sleep at 18 months due to really bad problems with his hips and our present Labrador puppy who we got after Paddy (a rescued cross breed who we had for 7 years: the longest we've ever had) was put to sleep. There was a massive gap and my mother had been wanting a labrador puppy for years. We checked the rescue centres beforehand but the only dog we could find under a year old was a Great Dane cross and mum was desperate for a puppy. The other non-rescued dog we have is the father of our Grand Basset Griffion Vendeen puppy. The breeder had five of her dogs stolen. She got them back but it made her think about her older dogs and Bertie had gone sterile and she wanted a good home for him. We gave a donation of £300 to the Basset Griffion Vendeen Resuce when we got him though.

Our other dog is a Basset Hound who, judging by her character and markings, is related, if not half-sister, to the Basset Hound puppy we got when I was 1 year old. She had been very badly treated when we got her
She weighed only 13kg. She's now over 26kg and we still get comments about what a thin Basset she looks!

Any other dogs that we may get will be from the rescue centre though.

Regarding feeding: even if I was vegan (which I'm aiming for) I would never feed my dogs vegan food. I chose to go veggie and I will choose to go vegan. I will never force any other living creature to be veggie or vegan. I would bring up any children that I'd adopted up as veggie or vegan but if at school or at a friend's house they ate meat, I would be upset but it would be their choice.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
A friend of mine has a frog as well. He catches flies from his apartment for it. I guess if he didn't feed the flies to the frog he'd probably just spray them anyway so it's hard for me to feel like it's a completly bad idea. I guess the other thing is that he doesn't feed them directly to the frog, just puts them into the frog's tank and then the frog has to catch them himself. It's probably better than the ground up farm animal parts that I feed to my cat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I stared at this for a few seconds, I'm not going to lie..because none of my pets fit that I guess, then I reread the topic..

I have had rescued pets before, not now..and personally I couldn't keep a pet that I had to feed live things too, especially snakes that eat mice and such little critters...

...What's the concept with vegan pets?...I thought cats and dogs needed meat.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
my mutt's a rescue and he eats raw meat mixed in with dog food. Since by nature canines are carnivores I see no ethical dilema with this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My husband and I only adopt animals that are rescues. That way we are giving an animal that may be abused or worse a chance at a forever home. We currently have 2 adopted xracers (greyhounds), and a hedgehog that was rescued after going awol in a freight shipment.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absence View Post

although there are vegan petfoods out there for cats and dogs (it's a controversial issue, you might want to search for threads on it to understand the topic more thoroughly), the term 'vegan pets' could also apply to naturally herbivorous animals like rabbits

maybe the OP should have added in an option of 'pets I had before going vegan'?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I voted:

Rescued Pets.

Vegan Pets.

Non-live food carnivorous/omnivorous.

I have bought pets in the past & I'm not proud of it and wouldn't do it again.

Right now I have two kitties who we feed meat-based food, so obviously I don't mind having carnivorous pets. I have fed insects to geckos before (just for a few days while the owner was away), I didn't really mind doing it at the time but I probably wouldn't want to do it now. I definitely couldn't feed live rodents to another animal.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absence View Post

According to one of my uni lecturers, dogs can live without meat.. cats can not. A dog's digestive system can handle only veg, but a cat's can't. However, whether this is good for a dogs health is debatable.

Don't quote me on that mind, as it was a while ago and i might have mis-understood...!

I have 3 cats, 2 were rescue cats, and one was from my dad's friend who adopts loads of cats that no one else wants (he's ace).

My opinion is to feed to the animal the same sort of thing it should eat naturally... eg, my cats eat meat cat food. I wanted a lizard not long ago, but don't think i could cope feeding it live food. I searched everywhere trying to find a lizard which didn't need meat or insects, but couldn't find one!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Right now I have dogs, cats, rats, fish, and a rabbit, all of which have meat in thier diets, except for the rabbit, of course. I think that being vegetarian is a choice, and I personally won't make that choice for others. They all get very high-quality food (Canidae, Felidae, Mazuri) because my pets come before anything else, even my religion (Buddhism) or being vegetarian. That being said, I could never ever feed rodents to an animal because of my pet rats. Right or wrong, I just couldn't do it. I would actually like to have a pet snake because I think they are neat animals, but I have yet to find one that I wouldn't have to feed rats/mice to, or live food. Besides, I think I have enough animals!

Oh, and I will ALWAYS have rescued animals! The exception I make is fish, who I can't seem to find in rescue. I do have a few rescued fish, but I am setting up a new tank right now, and if I can't find the ones I want in rescue, then I will go to the responsible pet store and get them there.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I voted:

Rescued Pets.

Vegan Pets.

Non-live food carnivorous/omnivorous.
I picked those, as well as Live food carnivorous/omnivorous.

I may well adopt bearded dragons (and possibly snakes) later in my life so that's why I chose that one. Although, I would probably get the frozen food for the snake(s).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

1 dog is a lab mix that was a Katrina rescue and the other is a

golden retriever that I witnessed being thrown out on a country road!

1 cat I took in as a stray and other one I found on Petfinders.

I can't and won't have an animal that I have to feed another live animal to. I just can't do that. Even though it's natural, I can't watch an animal die.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have two beautiful rats. I buy them a mixed rat food which I know has chicken in it. They love meat. My partner is an omnivore and feeds them fresh meat on occasion and they snatch it out of his hand. It would be cruel to deny them of something they need in their diet. Veg*nism is my choice, not theirs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have a cat and dog, both being rescued, one from my backyard, one from the street. I switched from kibble to raw food about 7 years ago, which was 3 years after I went veg. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to a) become vegetarian myself and b) find myself up to my elbows grinding up chicken hearts, liver, drumsticks, or whole rabbits, after becoming veg!!

Cats are obligate carnivores and need meat. Dogs are omnivores and get a wider range of food which includes crushed fruit and veggies, and neither need grain, which is what's in most pet foods because it's cheap.

I switched to raw because my cat at the time had inflammatory bowel disease and she was cured as soon as we took away the processed food and put her on raw. When I saw that, I switched all of them over, even though I was totally disgusted but I am able to differentiate my disgust from their needs!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts