VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened during the night. The ritten was gasping for air and I tried to give si some syrup for an energy boost. I think the worst part of it is that I never intended to keep the ritten, but thought I could drop the baby off at the petshop. I tried but 'm still sad. I am so totally unable to keep orphan animals alive despite good intentions as I also took in two baby squirrels who also died in the night. I had a wildlife place who had offered to take them at the time but it was Saturday and they would not take them until Monday. Of course they were dead by that time.

I feel like this situation was similiar in that was I was spending most of the day eagerly waiting by the phone in hopes of getting someone who had a nursing rat at the feed store after the petshop was close3d that day.

Then I came out here to try the rat board and see if someone there might take in an orphan, but it wouldn't let me log in.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Sometimes I hate to even bother trying to save injured/abandoned animals....I hate it when it doesn't work out. If it makes you feel any better, a guy I work with rescued five baby voles last week when their mom died. He was able to keep them alive and he released them Thursday into the wild. So at least there are five little voles who have a chance at life! Don't give up trying, it's definitely worth the effort.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
The effort is worth something. She at least was cared about when she died, which is far more than most animals in human hands ever get (the 10+ billion killed per year in the US in labs and on farms). It's good that you tried.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with what everyone said. You tried, you cared. Who knows, maybe by just trying to save the baby you may have influenced another to try something similar if the situation presents itself. Maybe someone learned through you that ALL life is precious. We have a big influence on people without even being aware.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm so sorry.

I remember when I lost my first rat after she had a stroke. I brought her to the vet and she was on meds and steroids and seemed to be getting better...then she had another stroke and didn't make it.

It's absolutely heartwrenching.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I meant to respond to this before.

I'm sorry for your loss, Eclipse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.