VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was in dr. weil's daily e-mail tip (sorry i couldn't find the direct link from his site, so this is quoted from the e-mail)

" 04.09.2003

Tip: The Not So Good News About Sprouts

Sprouts became popular in the 1970s as a New Age staple, often replacing lettuce in sandwiches, filling salad bowls, and forming huge mounds of garnish on platters. Sadly, the idea that sprouts are good for health has little science behind it. As the youngest forms of green plants, they are probably full of enzymes associated with new growth, but those compounds are destroyed in our stomachs. In fact, some sprouts might not be good for us at all. Raw legume sprouts contain natural toxins, so I remove raw alfalfa sprouts from any foods that I am being served. I also avoid raw clover, mung bean, lentil, chickpea, and other bean sprouts (which don't taste very good anyway). I have no issue with cooked bean spouts and no objection to raw sprouts of nonleguminous seeds. If you like radish, sunflower, and buckwheat sprouts, go ahead and enjoy eating them.
"

i love to sprout - and i love to eat them - so this was quite disturbing. does anyone have any additional (or hopefully conflicting
) information on this?

i just don't want to give up my sprouts!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I've heard this from other sources as well, but I don't think sprouts are that toxic. I'm somewhat of a fan of Dr. Weil, but he is a bit of an alarmist at times. For instance, he's also very much against standing close to electrical appliances and cautions against drinking water out of non-clear plastic jugs. There may be some truth to there being dangers from such things, but I don't think the dangers are as great as he makes them out to be. I've had to stop reading one of his books because it was so anxiety-producing. I'd be interested in hearing more on the sprout subject though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
On a per calorie basis, sprouts are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Broccoli sprouts are especially healthy and a John Hopkins study showed that broccoli sprouts have 10-50 times the cancer-fighting agent in mature broccoli, see link: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/19/10367

As for bean sprouts, they are also packed with nutrition. I have never heard of the toxin thing mentioned by Weil. Here is a link to read about the nutritional content of various sprouts: http://www.easygreen.com/articles/nutritional_data.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, i don't think i'll give up sprouts either. and since eggplant pointed out that he is a "bit of an alarmist", i'll just use my own judgement in the matter - after all, sprouts have been good to me so far

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I'm not too sure about Weil either... only place I've heard this.

I love sprouts, but buy mung sprouts at an Asian grocery 'cause they're really big and tender. I can never get mine like that-they come out stringy. I use a paper towel lined colander and rinse.

Can anyone offer recommendations?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yes they have toxins in them but many of our foods have toxic substances. Spinach has Oxalic acid which can cause kidney stones if eaten in HIGH amounts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Umm....I think I'll eat the sprouts over a stinking french fry any day.

I think everything is toxic on some level anyways...Hell, even life is an std.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
fiber....think fiber at least.....and grow your own. It's fun watching them grow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts