VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The How Old Are you? Thread prompted me to start this one. Since there are a handful of members about my age (I'll be 52 in June) and older, I thought I'd start out by asking them if they remember the stuff I remember...

Do you remember...

...rotary phones? Touch tone phones came in sometime in the late 1960's, but I remember using rotary phones. My language still reflects that - I'll sometimes talk about dialing a certain number, not calling it. Touch tone phones were such a sensation in their early years that I remember a book being sold that instructed readers how to play songs on a touch tone phone. I'm not kidding.

...the Apollo 11 moon landing? I was ten years old and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

...cigarette commercial jingles? "Winston Taste Good Like a Cigarette Should"

speaking of commercials, I remember '"I can't believe I ate the whole thing"
also "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

Remember the Bicentennial? Every time I turned around, something else had a flag on it. Including the mailbox on the corner.

Remember the Bicentennial Minutes that aired throughout 1976 on CBS? I do. I miss those.

Of course, I'm remembering a lot of American culture, so I apologize if you are as old as I am or older and you don't remember some of this because you live or lived in a different country. What are your memories?

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I remember all those, and the Tall Ships at the Bicentennial.

I actually remember the big black box phones - the one with the piece one held up to one's ear. And party lines. And an outhouse instead of an indoor toilet.
And no, it's not that I'm that much older than you (I'll be 55 in a couple of days), but that's what the old farmhouse had when we came here in '61.

I remember watching JFK's funeral at the house of a family friend. I especially remember Black Jack, the riderless horse, in the funeral procession, and JohnJohn saluting his father's coffin. I remember hearing the news of the shooting, live, on the radio.

I remember when it was unusual for houses to have even a window air conditioner, and the eventual luxury of central air.

I remember when cars didn't have air conditioning.

I remember wearing girdles and garter belts to hold up nylon stockings.

I remember when people bathed once a week, and many people washed their hair even less frequently than that.

I remember the first calculators - basic four function, and a good one cost $100 or more.

I remember when people first started buying color TV's.

I remember MLK's assassination, and Bobby Kennedy's.

I remember the riots.

I remember lynchings.

I remember a time when it was unheard of for a black man to kiss or even touch a white woman in a movie or on TV.

I remember Kent State, and how those who were killed were villified and degraded with rumors that they had lice, that they had venereal diseases, etc....

I remember a time when a girl's career options were pretty much teacher, nurse, secretary, or retail clerk.

I remember a time before co-ed dorms and dorm curfews.

I remember hope chests.

The first presidential election I remember was Johnson/Goldwater.

I remember when more people crossed the Atlantic on ocean liners rather than airplanes.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Do you remember...

...rotary phones?

...the Apollo 11 moon landing? I was ten years old and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Remember the Bicentennial? Every time I turned around, something else had a flag on it. Including the mailbox on the corner.

Remember the Bicentennial Minutes that aired throughout 1976 on CBS? I do. I miss those.

Of course, I'm remembering a lot of American culture, so I apologize if you are as old as I am or older and you don't remember some of this because you live or lived in a different country. What are your memories?
I remember everything you mentioned except the moon landing. I had just learned how to walk at the time.

I remember when commercials and TV shows all had original jingles instead of using one already written.

I remember typewriters. I composed my first resume and cover letter using one. My parents bought me one for college with auto correction tape. Yea baby, I was on the bleeding edge of technology. Everyone in my dorm was jealous.

I remember non-digital watches.

I remember a time long before "play dates". Just walk to your friends house and ask if he can come out and play.

I remember having to go to a library, look through a physical card catalog and pull books from the shelf to do a research paper.

I remember the pre-Atari 2600 video games. The tennis game was just a small square bouncing between to rectangles.

I can't think of more right now, but in general, I remember everything from 1971 and after.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I'm 33 but remember some of these!!

Quote:

Do you remember...

...rotary phones? Touch tone phones came in sometime in the late 1960's, but I remember using rotary phones. My language still reflects that - I'll sometimes talk about dialing a certain number, not calling it. Touch tone phones were such a sensation in their early years that I remember a book being sold that instructed readers how to play songs on a touch tone phone. I'm not kidding.
We had rotary phones until we got touch tone (which I thought were the coolest things ever when they first came out). My grandparents kept their rotary phones FOREVER because touch tone phones confused them too much
. How awful were those rotary phones?? Ugh, if you made a mistake dialing you had to start all over! It seemed like it took forever to finally dial one number!!!

...car phones. They plugged into the cigarette lighter and only the rich people had them. They were HUGE. Cell phones were also huge when they first came out.

...when VCRs first came out. I remember our first one and how exciting it was to have one and renting video tapes and taping things off the tv.

...no remote controls for tvs. Yes kids we had to actually get off our asses and change the channel! Plus we only had like 12 channels to choose from.

...record players, polaroid cameras

...when MTV actually aired music videos 24/7.

...tape recorders. No cds, taping songs off the radio (this meant calling in and requesting a song or sitting by the radio for hours waiting for them to finally play the song you want).

...penny candy

...prizes in cereal boxes and cracker jacks . We actually got cool toys!

...commercials: "Where's the Beef?", "Time to Make the Donuts!", "Calgon, take me away!" , "Mikey likes it!" (and the rumor that Mikey died from mixing pop rocks and soda ), "Who were short shorts? We wear short shorts!", "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R..."

...after school specials on tv

I gotta say I'm very grateful that I don't remember some of the stuff MLP listed. Outhouses? No thanks. We had to use those whenever we went to the park and that was gross enough. Lynches??
How awful....

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

We had rotary phones until we got touch tone (which I thought were the coolest things ever when they first came out). My grandparents kept their rotary phones FOREVER because touch tone phones confused them too much
. How awful were those rotary phones?? Ugh, if you made a mistake dialing you had to start all over! It seemed like it took forever to finally dial one number!!!

...car phones. They plugged into the cigarette lighter and only the rich people had them. They were HUGE. Cell phones were also huge when they first came out.

...when VCRs first came out. I remember our first one and how exciting it was to have one and renting video tapes and taping things off the tv.

...no remote controls for tvs. Yes kids we had to actually get off our asses and change the channel! Plus we only had like 12 channels to choose from.

...tape recorders. No cds, taping songs off the radio (this meant calling in and requesting a song or sitting by the radio for hours waiting for them to finally play the song you want).

...penny candy
I'm 35 and I remember all those things too.
In the UK I remember when we only used to have 3 TV channels.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I remember....

Sputnik

When Hawaii and Alaska were not states of the union

When passenger airliners had propellers

When Eisenhower was re-elected

Transistor radios

Howdy Doody

The Edsel

Krushchev pounding his shoe on the table, saying, "We will bury you!"

Have Gun, Will Travel

Ya ain't nothin' but a hound dog

Flower Power

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:

...penny candy

...prizes in cereal boxes and cracker jacks . We actually got cool toys!

...commercials: "Where's the Beef?", "Time to Make the Donuts!", "Calgon, take me away!" , "Mikey likes it!" (and the rumor that Mikey died from mixing pop rocks and soda ), "Who were short shorts? We wear short shorts!", "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R..."

...after school specials on tv

I gotta say I'm very grateful that I don't remember some of the stuff MLP listed. Outhouses? No thanks. We had to use those whenever we went to the park and that was gross enough. Lynches??
How awful....
Yup - you and I area clearly from the same generation.

And I remember rotary phones, too. Although touchtone phones were around, the rotaries didn't go away until into the 90's, so even us "youngsters" remember them.

Let's see - other junk from childhood to throw out there as nostalgia...

"How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?"
"I'm just a bill"
"Wonder Twin powers, activate!"

I remember when the original A-Team and Dukes of Hazzard were cool. And Knight Rider.

I remember where I was when I heard that Challenger exploded. And I remember my science teacher bringing a TV into our classroom two years later to watch the first space shuttle launch since that happened.

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I remember the Three Stooges. They'd always play the shorts when I was young. Curly Joe was the best one.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Reel to reel, 8 track, first album cover I remember is the oldest of my 2 older sisters The Beatles Rubber Soul, 45's and the little record players you used to stack a bunch of them on, the first songs I can remember were Yesterday and Norwegian Wood by The Beatles and Windy by The Association.

And I had one of these fine machines in the 70's only mine was blue... Used to think I was so cool walking the halls in school playing cassettes...

Attachment 15111
LL

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Beancounter and AmySF I had know idea that you were not in the younger group.

I remember the horizontal hold button on the TV.

I remember being transfixed by the first mixed race couple I had ever seen.

I remember when watching parades were an event everyone looked forward to.

I remember my mother handing a dollar bill to the gas station attendant and saying, "Fill 'er up with ethyl."

I remeber Watergate.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I gotta say that reading this is pretty refreshing. People my age tend to make nostalgia lists for dumb crap from the nineties. "Remember Full House?" Yes, I do, but I wish I didn't

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How 'bout the Ed Sullivan Show.

Happy Days & Laverne and Shirley

That's Incredible

Saturday mornings were the only time you got to watch cartoons.

Room 222

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:

The How Old Are you? Thread prompted me to start this one. Since there are a handful of members about my age (I'll be 52 in June) and older, I thought I'd start out by asking them if they remember the stuff I remember...

Do you remember...

hey there.....I am 36...37 in June and I remember a bit of this......

My Dads Mother had a rotary phone and it was the only one I had ever seen and I was young and had alot of problems using it....I tried to call out once and called long distance and it was a very large bill when it came in...LOL
... funny memory for me...hehe

Peace

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I remember when calculators were the latest/greatest electronic gadgets at the store. Just loads of all these calculators behind several glass counters.

I still have a rotary phone that I use quite often.

I remember when PBS was so damn boring, you really couldn't stand to watch anything on there.

I remember when you hardly ever saw anything with ' made in china' stamped on it. And 'made in japan' was common, and often associated with the item being cheap/inferior to anything american made.

I remember when all soy milk tasted like chalk dust mixed with water.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I don't have anything spectacular to report, but I have a couple of comments on some of these. Here goes:

Quote:

Do you remember...

My grandparents had a rotary phone, and I was soo confused when I tried to use it. Oddly enough, I had a toy that had a rotary phone, but I never used that part either.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I remember having to go to a library, look through a physical card catalog and pull books from the shelf to do a research paper.
This, I vaguely remember in elementary school (minus the research papers). I remember asking for a certain book, until I knew where my favorite authors were located), and them taking out the card and stamping it when I checked it out. I also remember having to look it up in 6th grade, because the school didn't have internet yet (the internet was taking off when I was in about 5th or 6th grade).

Quote:

I miss that...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm 50. My first phone was rotary. What I remember most was going down to the phone company and walking out with a bag with my new princess phone. If I remember right the phone was either free or cost next to nothing. Just for being a Pacific Bell phone customer.

I remember my cable bill in the very early 80's being $6.00 a month. I think I got 13 channels. No remote. Had to get up and change the channel.

I smoked when I was young. Cigarettes were about 85 cents a pack.

I remember playing Pacman in this local bar my friend and I used to go to.

I vividly remember the day Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone were assassinated. I was driving down the road, turning on KGO Newstalk in San Francisco and heard the news which was continuous.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I remember:

Popples
The Wuzzles
Small Wonder
Punky Brewster
Full House
Pound Puppies
Monchichi's
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the real ones)
Glow Worms
Metal baby furniture: walker, highchair, playpen, car seats (if you were fancy and a toddler-) etc.
"Mr. Owl, how Many Licks til I get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?" "Let's find out. Ah one, ah two, and three *crunch*." "Ah three.""How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? The World may never know..."
Light Brite
Gameboy
MJ, my Michael Jackson barbie doll and Thriller/making of thriller Beta tape
My Troll Beta tape
Madonna
Guns that looked like real guns
Slingshots
New Kids on the Block (my first concert)
Debbie Gibson
Tiffany
lunch boxes
trapper keepers
Beetle Juice
Matthew Modine
Saved By the Bell
big hair
bright colors
Molly Ringwald
John Hughes
Smirfs/Snorks