VeggieBoards banner

The non-vegan vegan police.

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Kiz 
#1 ·
Has anyone encountered people who know you are vegan and let you know what you can and can't eat?

At a couple BBQ's this weekend this one person jumped on me for eating chili. She says "You can't eat that! Its got meat in it!" I had to explain to her it was vegan chili. Then later she jumped on me cause I had a marshmellow in my hand. "You can't eat that!' she exclaims. I then had to explain to her that it was on the ground and I was picking it up before someone stepped on it.

Have you have any encounters with the non-vegan vegan police?

#3 ·
yes. my friend Jenn. she is constantly on the watch, checking on how old the leather shoes I am wearing are, or when out, "why can't you just order the pasta? you ate pasta at that one place!" (I called ahead to check for egg)

she's always trying to trip me up or "catch" me not being vegan. it's fun.

I tell her she's "impersonating a officer"

#4 ·
I have had people do that to me sometimes. I think they want to try to catch you making mistakes or something so they can pick on you about it.

Sometimes when someone finds out you are veggie/vegan, it is like being audited or something. You are this big target for an interagation as they grill you with questions to see if they can trip you up and go 'ha ha! you are

not real vegan'.

I think they secretly feel guilty about eating meat so they want to make you to be imperfect so they feel better about themselves.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Doesn't she realize there is extensive training and a rigorous certification process to becoming a member of the vegan police?
one time we were at a resturant and were discussing footwear and she proudly told me she bought vegan earth shoes. unfourtunatly, she was eating a steak at the time.

i love her, because she really is a good person, but she thinks I am a vegan for attention.

#7 ·
After announcing recently to my LO husband that I'm going vegan he's taken it upon himself to point out things he believes I can't eat. The other night I was muntchin' on peanut butter toast and he says "you can't eat peanut butter... it has milk in it!"..... really? since when!? Dork

#8 ·
I had been vegan(beegan) for a couple of months when one night at my parents house for dinner I was eating chikn nuggets and was squirting some honey onto my plate. My brother's girlfriend looks at me and the honey on my plate and says in the snottiest voice "Don't you know that some vegans don't eat honey"

O RLY?!

Ugh, my brother and his gf are always trying to find something wrong with my food. Their new thing is making fun of the raw food bumper sticker that's on mine and my bf's car.

#10 ·
Oh yeah, the gotcha! police.

When I told my neighbor I was a vegetarian, she pointed out that my shoes were made of leather. I told her they LOOKED like leather, but they weren't. She almost didn't believe me because they looked so "real" to her!

And anyway, I had only recently become a vegetarian, and wasn't converting my wardrobe or anything yet at that point.

#11 ·
Only once but he was joking. He tried to point out my shoes were leather but they weren't.

I wasn't even vegan then, though, I was L/O at the time.

My mom scans the food labels on items I bring home to point out milk and eggs. She seems to forget that my children and husband still eat milk and egg ingredients.

"Oh, Mary, this has milk you know"

"Yeah, no kidding, those are Matts snack chips for work"

:sigh:

Mary

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Oh yeah, the gotcha! police.

When I told my neighbor I was a vegetarian, she pointed out that my shoes were made of leather. I told her they LOOKED like leather, but they weren't. She almost didn't believe me because they looked so "real" to her!

And anyway, I had only recently become a vegetarian, and wasn't converting my wardrobe or anything yet at that point.
Someone did that at the Fur March last year here in downtown Chicago..I was wearing my veggie docs and we were chanting in front of all the bad Fur stores on Michigan Ave and these people wearing leather coats and furs were pointing saying "Look! They are hypocrtics - they are wearing leather shoes!" Of course, I said they weren't -not like these people cared or would have believed me.

What idiots

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

My family likes to say "You can't eat such and such..." I always say "No, I choose not to eat such..."

It feels like a big difference!
I really like that Poppy, it is a big difference!

As a newbie vegan, I'm starting to hear from the non-vegan vegan police as well. On Sunday my friend's mother came to see a show I was in, and afterwards she said "I just couldn't stop staring at your vegan shoes..." Yes, they were leather and I bought them about four years ago. I've decided to convert my wardrobe slowly rather than everything all at once (I can't afford to replace all my shoes right now but I'm working on it)\\. I explained that, but I don't think she cared. She just thought she was being funny and clever. I'll let her think that!

#19 ·
I have an old leather belt and an old leather wallet, both things my sister gave to me a long time ago.

I could have tossed them, but I simply don't want to and what's done is done as far as purchasing the things anyway so I still wear the belt and carry the wallet on me despite myself.

When I was talking to an old friend and mentioned I was vegan she goes, "Honey, you're wearing a leather belt."

No bull?

I had to explain to her why I still have the damn leather belt and she just nagged at me for going vegan in the first place.

I like it when I tell people I'm vegan and they groan at me and whine like it's the end of the world that I have ethical beliefs.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think in response, any time that person is eating something vegetarian you should grab him/her and say "You can't eat that! It doesn't have MEAT in it!!"
That's good...I like that!

For the most part...people leave me alone(but that might be because I don't get out much
) But that'll be good to use in case someone does along to 'police' me...

#25 ·
My sister kind of does this, but it's more for my own benefit. For instance, she'll tell me not to eat the soup, b/c my mom used chicken broth and forgot to tell me.

Or once, when we ate at a friend's house, I asked what was in the stuffing, and as my friend was trying to list the basic ingredients, my sister said, "Is there any animals in the stuffing? She doesn't eat any animals or animal products."

She kind of asks the nosy questions so that I don't have to, which is nice, although it can be a little annoying sometimes.

#26 ·
I'm not a vegan and I've never encountered an omni vegan cop, but all these funny stories reminded me of something that happened once...

I was eating at Chili's with my husband and his family, and I order their black bean burger. It arrives and I take a bite, and my grandma-in-law says, "Oh Eli, I don't believe I've ever seen you eat meat before!"

First of all, of course you've never seen a vegetarian eat meat before. Second of all, if you saw a vegetarian eating something that appeared to be meat, wouldn't you second-guess what you were witnessing and open up your mind to the much more likely possibility that it was a VEGGIE BURGER?

Haha. I think my grandma-in-law must be of the same breed as all those people you guys have encountered who have never heard of pleather or veggie burgers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.