VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breatharianism is often ridiculed around here. However, in this day and age of amazing discoveries and breakthroughs in the life sciences, what if we could alter our DNA so our skin had chlorophyll thereby allowing us to absorb energy directly from the sun through photosynthesis? Wouldn't that be a huge step forward, certain to significantly reduce both human and animal suffering?

So to take everyone to the next level, we could create an endogenous retrovirus that would enter our germ cells, snip the DNA at the right place and insert the magic code sequence for chlorophyll production and photosynthesis. Think about it - a new superior race: Homo sapiens solaris! The Green Man!

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Breatharianism is often ridiculed around here. However, in this day and age of amazing discoveries and breakthroughs in the life sciences, what if we could alter our DNA so our skin had chlorophyll thereby allowing us to absorb energy directly from the sun through photosynthesis? Wouldn't that be a huge step forward, certain to significantly reduce both human and animal suffering?

So to take everyone to the next level, we could create an endogenous retrovirus that would enter our germ cells, snip the DNA at the right place and insert the magic code sequence for chlorophyll production and photosynthesis. Think about it - a new superior race: Homo sapiens solaris! The Green Man!
I already do this.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We would never get enough energy by doing so. To steal a websites math due to excessive laziness, which I briefly checked and also fixed (they had 400 J/s/m2, I want to assume full cloudless sunlight on a very very high mountain, best case scenario) 1000 J/s/m2 x (0.5 x 1.8m2) x 0.05 x 3600s = 162000J= 162kJ per hour (or 38.7 kcal, a bit less than half an apple). This is assuming an average person is half a meter wide and 1.8m tall, and the 5% efficiency of photosynthesis. We would have to stay in the sun for 51.7 hours a day assuming a 2000kcal diet. I may have a TARDIS as my avatar, but even I can't do that.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:

I'm totally down with that. As a bonus, hopefully we'd quickly lose any taboos about nudity we currently have, cause how ridiculous would it be to shade ourselves from our life-giving sunshine?
And we'd be green, which would be bad-ass.

There's just no down-side here.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obankobi View Post

We would never get enough energy by doing so. To steal a websites math due to excessive laziness, which I briefly checked and also fixed (they had 400 J/s/m2, I want to assume full cloudless sunlight on a very very high mountain, best case scenario) 1000 J/s/m2 x (0.5 x 1.8m2) x 0.05 x 3600s = 162000J= 162kJ per hour (or 38.7 kcal, a bit less than half an apple). This is assuming an average person is half a meter wide and 1.8m tall, and the 5% efficiency of photosynthesis. We would have to stay in the sun for 51.7 hours a day assuming a 2000kcal diet. I may have a TARDIS as my avatar, but even I can't do that.
Way to totally bum me out.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Yeah, but wouldn't we be attacked by aphids?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

I already do this.
Pictures or you don't exist!

Quote:

We would never get enough energy by doing so. To steal a websites math due to excessive laziness, which I briefly checked and also fixed (they had 400 J/s/m2, I want to assume full cloudless sunlight on a mountain) 1300 J/s/m2 x (0.5 x 1.8m2) x 0.05 x 3600s = 64800J = 194.4kJ per hour (or 46.69 kcal, about half an apple). This is assuming an average person is half a meter wide and 1.8m tall, and the 5% efficiency of photosynthesis. We would have to stay in the sun for 42 hours a day assuming a 2000kcal diet. I may have a TARDIS as my avatar, but even I can't do that.
Even so, it reduces our dependence on food so we need much less! And maybe there are other alterations we can do as well!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It would be kind of cool to absorb water through our skin, but it would probably interfere with our interactions with water. Like we wouldn't be able to swim in salt water and if we spent too long in the water instead of just getting wrinkly we'd probably get sick.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

It would be kind of cool to absorb water through our skin, but it would probably interfere with our interactions with water. Like we wouldn't be able to swim in salt water and if we spent too long in the water instead of just getting wrinkly we'd probably get sick.
That would only be the case if we absorbed salt water through our skin.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

That would only be the case if we absorbed salt water through our skin.
I'm guessing that whatever process was developed to enable us to become hydrated through topical absorption would be sensitive to things like salinity of the water. But I don't know, just seems like there would be sacrifices.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I'm guessing that whatever process was developed to enable us to become hydrated through topical absorption would be sensitive to things like salinity of the water. But I don't know, just seems like there would be sacrifices.
I agree. Taking a whiz wouldn't be nearly as gratifying.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I'd get very depressed from a life without cooking and eating

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
We might have to either splice in some sun resistant factor or turn dark green/brown because the current UV levels would burn us all if we went naked every day in the summer...

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:

So what you're stating is that we need to increase our surface area. So that means we'll need leaves too.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
No, I would rather have symbiotic algae embedded in my skin like corals and giant clams. It's much prettier.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Breatharianism is often ridiculed around here. However, in this day and age of amazing discoveries and breakthroughs in the life sciences...!
People who ridicule breatharianism are just ignorant.

Also, you should expect to see your proposal in Lierre Keith's next book, similar to her claim (culled from a website) in her last one about how vegans want to divide the serengeti to keep carnivores away from herbivores.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Also, you should expect to see your proposal in Lierre Keith's next book, similar to her claim (culled from a website) in her last one about how vegans want to divide the serengeti to keep carnivores away from herbivores.
I'm so excited at the prospect....

Btw, I've done some thinking. Ideally the new species will be smaller than homo sapiens sapiens, maybe just about a meter tall, with bigger head-to-body ratio to preserve our ginormous brains. Here's a sketch of what I envision they will look like:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:

No, thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts