VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can we compete??? They do it for $20 an hour where business in the USA charge $100 an hour. Looks like some IT positions are being outsourced to.... India .

Now, all kinds of knowledge work can be done almost anywhere. "You will see an explosion of work going overseas," says Forrester Research Inc. analyst John C. McCarthy. He goes so far as to predict at least 3.3 million white-collar jobs and $136 billion in wages will shift from the U.S. to low-cost countries by 2015. Europe is joining the trend, too.

Wow...buckle down...it's gonna be a bumpy ride

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3818001.htm

·
Banned
559 Posts
i just went to some lecture about this (re: the 'india thing') last week.. pretty damn interesting. (ok it wasnt all about that, but a nice chunk of it was).

but i need sleep and dont have anything intelligent to offer in addition to what you said....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greedy corporations at their best. Just as all the manufacturing jobs moved to Mexico and elsewhere where they could pay slave-wages and pollute as much as they want, this is no different.

Back when the 90's boom was still in full swing I was just getting into the IT field. The US government was importing (for lack of a better adjective) people by the tens of thousands from places like India, Pakistan and east-Asia to fill the alleged IT-worker shortage.

Meanwhile, I managed to find $10/hour jobs for 3 months at a time, and then got laid off and spent 1 1/2 years unemployed when the bubble burst and finally gave up altogether early last year and got a job in a different field.

Why? Because the people being imported to do the same work I was willing to do (and countless other people here in America like me) were willing to do it for dirt cheap cuz it got them into the country.

I don't blame them - I'd have done the same thing. But the irresponsible nature and outright blatant disregard for domestic problems in the greedy and absurd pursuit of greater profit margins that the corporations, and the congress-critters that voted for their bills, displayed makes me sick to this day.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ah, try reading the book "Harvest of Empire". It's all about the causal nature between US companies setting up shop in Latin America and the influx of Hispanic people into the US. But its way more interesting than the way that sentence made it sound!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I think "white collar globalization" is bull****. I don't think it is really happening, except for a few small entrepreneurs, mostly partnerships of just 2 or 3 people, who write computer programs from home in 2 different places, or so some kind of graphic art multimedia thing from their homes in 2 or 3 different places, possibly far away. The actual work-from-home revolution of the large corporation is just somebody's fantasy that never existed. Companies have insisted on having workers come to a central location and work there -- for whatever reason -- I don't know what it is -- but that is what i have seen with everyone who works.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditto - The rather large bank I used to work for outsourced all of their IT work too. The bottom line on profitability and cash flows is very important in the financial industry (and is very important in other industry's as well). It affects their ratings. Ratings are commonly viewed as a gage to make financial decisions.

So, anything they can do to get the profitability up they will, trust me. Future business as well as current business depends on it.

I don't however, agree with it. I do though, understand why it's done.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Any ideas on how to sway CEOs to keep their businesses in the US?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
No, offer to provide an education experience for them, having them work $2 an hour with no benefits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.