VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be fun to have a thread where Neo-Pagans and people with similar beliefs or those interested in them could talk and discuss things.

So I identify as a pagan and as a witch. (I view Witchcraft as a practise, not as a religious belief.) Imbolc this year is going to be exactly 5 years since I did my self-initiation. Which is a very scary thought. Looking back it's kinda embarrassing because I'm amazed at how much I didn't know back then.. And then looking forward is kinda exciting because I know there's so many more things I'm going to learn. (But I'll never know it all, not by a long shot. )
Anyway, my beliefs are a mishmash of different paths. My main influences are Wicca and Druidry with a smattering of other things.

So, anybody else?

Clarification:
Neo- paganism is an umbrella term used to identify a wide variety of modern religious movements. Although they do share commonalities, contemporary pagan religious movements are extremely diverse, and there is no set of beliefs, practices or religious texts shared by all of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism_(contemporary)

I know wikipedia isn't the best source but it gives the gist of it.

DISCLAIMER

This thread is NOT here to try to "convert" anybody, to "preach" to anybody (nobody forced you to click on this thread
) or anything similar. Please, please, please for the love of all the gods and the FSM, can it just be a friendly discussion thread? Please?
If you wish to debate then you are more than welcome to start a thread in the Compost Heap to that effect.

Please don't derail this thread, please? Pretty please?

This is either going to work or be a spectacular disaster. If it last longer than a week without getting derailed I'll make everybody rainbow fairy cakes.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
A discussion thread eh?

Could be useful for the purposes of knowledge.

So, erhm, what is the core beliefs of the neo-paganism that you practice?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Can you elaborate on your beliefs a little more?

I'm not pagan, but I'm interested in what you believe in and why. I'm not going to try to deconvert or belittle you, I'm just curious

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I'm not going to try to deconvert or belittle you, I'm just curious
I don't think she ever would assume that about you though.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i read tarot cards. I have long wanted to get more into the healing arts too. My ex's mother used to practise Reiki and it was a fascinating thing. I injured my arm after a car accident and she did something to it, and pretty much sorted it out. Interestingly, she could also tell the precise parts of the arm which were injured.

My ex hurt his knee once and decided to test her by telling her that he had hurt the wrong knee, and after working on the knee for a couple of minutes she told him there was nothing wrong with the knee. She asked if it was the other knee. It is fascinating stuff.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

i read tarot cards. I have long wanted to get more into the healing arts too. My ex's mother used to practise Reiki and it was a fascinating thing. I injured my arm after a car accident and she did something to it, and pretty much sorted it out. Interestingly, she could also tell the precise parts of the arm which were injured.

My ex hurt his knee once and decided to test her by telling her that he had hurt the wrong knee, and after working on the knee for a couple of minutes she told him there was nothing wrong with the knee. She asked if it was the other knee. It is fascinating stuff.
And how does that differiate from a regular medical examination?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
^It was done using touch and sensing energy fields. She has a gift. Her children can also do water dowsing.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK.. I'll try. (This is quite hard for me, I'm very private about my beliefs because I just expect people to mock me.... )

Right, I try live by the Wiccan Rede* "An It Harm None, Do What Ye Will." That's actually what made me start to think seriously about becoming veg*n. The other thing I live by is the Three-Fold Law. That's the view that everything you do will come back to you thrice. Basically, it's like Karma.

In terms of deity. I don't necessarily belief in a deity as such. My view is that there is a divine something. As far as I'm concerned, us humans, in an effort to try to understand it (which is impossible, it's too big for us to really understand it) have humanised it down into deities. All religions and belief systems (I'm not including lack of belief systems here
) are just an effort to try to understand and connect with it. I don't really have a name for it but some pagans call it "The One".
What I personally do is kind of split it into two: the feminine and the masculine energies. (Yes, another humanisation, I know.) I refer to them as the Lord and the Lady. Or the God and the Goddess.
This is about to get even more confusing, I do apologise. I'll try to find a website that explains most of what I'm try to say but in an easier way.
OK, in terms of the gods. For me this is splinting down the Lord and the Lady even more. Easiest way I've read of explaining it is the following:
Think of a disco ball/mirror ball. It's one thing but it has lots of sides/faces and each side reflects something slightly different to its neighbours. The gods are sort of like that. They're not separate entities in their own right, they're all just different parts of the overall whole.
So say I'm going to do a spell for.... Let's say, a safe childbirth for a friend. (I cba to research the exact gods I would use like I normally would.. For a spell like that I would take days in planning it
) So I would research for a goddess of childbirth in whichever pantheon I'm going to use (I tend to use the Celtic or the Greek but if I'm doing it for somebody else I will ask them if there's a pantheon they would like me to use) and then a protector god. The reason being is that for that specific spell I want the energies of safe childbirth and protection in it. (I don't "use" them, I ask if they would be present.)

Argh, this is hard to explain. I'll try to find somewhere that explains it better. (There are passages from books that I know which explain it brilliantly but I can't write them up here because of the copyright issues. If you're really interested I can direct you to the books and the chapter/page numbers and you can see if a library has them. I need to go to sleep soon but tomorrow I'll do a hunt for some websites that will explain things better. )

As for nature. I don't "worship" nature. My worship is done in nature.

As for the other things I do.. Well I do practise Witchcraft. I also read tarot cards, oracle cards, I'm trying to learn runes. Trying to learn Ogham. I do crystal healing. (I try to only have crystals that have been responsibly sourced. I say "try" because a lot of people buy me crystals as presents and they don't know about the damage that crystal mining can do. I try to slip it into a discussion with them but I'm too nervous to ever outright say something about it because I don't want to hurt their feelings. ) Dowsing. Meditation. Interested in Reiki.
My current ongoing pursuit is shamanic dreaming. Well, I say pursuit. It was actually my interest in shamanic dreaming that led me to discover Wicca and from there Paganism due to the research I was doing.

And now I'm tired and highly embarrassed so I'm going to crawl back into my Hobbit hole.

*Yes, I know I don't call myself Wiccan but I would probably say that about 90% of my beliefs come from Wicca.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Feels like I'm on /x/ all over again.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Ooh I was thinking about making a thread myself

I discovered Wicca about 6 years ago. I was solitary for the first 3 years, then joined a small coven in Prince George. This is where I learned almost everything I know currently, including chants and songs that are some of my favourites. I was with them for a year but had to move back home. When I moved to Calgary, I joined a Celtic reconstruction group but I didn't resonate with them and stopped attending after a few months (the fallout from this was very, very dramatic.
) I've never been initiated but I'm currently (finally) working on a self initiation year and a day practice.

So
Hi.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I studied this a great deal when I was a teenager. Inspired by Anne Rice to delve into it all. Good stuff- I'm not Wiccan now, but think its a pretty harmless and centered school of thought. More power to you! (/pun)

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Ooh I was thinking about making a thread myself

I discovered Wicca about 6 years ago. I was solitary for the first 3 years, then joined a small coven in Prince George. This is where I learned almost everything I know currently, including chants and songs that are some of my favourites. I was with them for a year but had to move back home. When I moved to Calgary, I joined a Celtic reconstruction group but I didn't resonate with them and stopped attending after a few months (the fallout from this was very, very dramatic.
) I've never been initiated but I'm currently (finally) working on a self initiation year and a day practice.

So
Hi.
Hello!

That's sad about your coven and the reconstruction group.
I've never been in a coven (I don't think there's any around here
). I did have the pagan society at my uni but that wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs.
I've actually been thinking about doing another self initiation. After all the stuff at uni I've kinda strayed from the path and I think the year and a day thing will be good for me.

So... Just thinking of subjects to talk about... Anybody have any books they really like or favourite authors? Any hated authors?
I know the book I always advise to be one of the first books people read about the subject is The Triumph of the Moon by Ron Hutton.

I'm currently reading a really interesting book. The Book of English Magic by Philip Carr-Gomm and Richard Heygate. It's really good. Got little bits of everything in it and it's mainly about the history (for example, the chapter I've just read was about alchemy). It also has interviews from people who practise whichever subject the chapter is about, a list of recommended reading for each chapter and also some try it yourself things. (So how to find ley lines, for example.) Some of it is a bit fluffy, I don't agree with all of it (I'm highly annoyed at most of the stuff written about Tolkien in there. They've got it wrong) but overall it's pretty damn good as a fun read.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I wanted to say that you did a very good job in your explanations, and that your practice and inspirations are very similar to mine

I may type up my feelings and experiences on the subject too, sometime. I'm just not feeling up to the task at this moment ~

I do agree that "And in it harm none, Do what ye will" is a great motto - Funny - I actually bought a sticker that says this earlier today!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Scott Cunningham has been a great influence, I have many of his books. He's very straightforward and easy to understand, and doesn't shove specific rituals/spells/ideas down your throat. I've heard bad things about Silver Ravenwolf but never actually read any of her work, opinions?

Also, would anyone be interested in a book exchange?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Your explanation made sense to me, Annia. Thank you

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I wanted to say that you did a very good job in your explanations, and that your practice and inspirations are very similar to mine

I may type up my feelings and experiences on the subject too, sometime. I'm just not feeling up to the task at this moment ~

I do agree that "And in it harm none, Do what ye will" is a great motto - Funny - I actually bought a sticker that says this earlier today!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Scott Cunningham has been a great influence, I have many of his books. He's very straightforward and easy to understand, and doesn't shove specific rituals/spells/ideas down your throat. I've heard bad things about Silver Ravenwolf but never actually read any of her work, opinions?

Also, would anyone be interested in a book exchange?
Regarding Silver Ravenwolf... I started reading her Teen Witch book.. And quickly stopped. This is a pretty good summary of why she's so bad.

I like Scott Cunningham. I've only got his "Wicca" and "Living Wicca" books though. Kate West is one of my favourite authors. Although the fact I've spoken to her several times (online, on another forum
) is probably a factor in how much I like. She's a lovely lady.

I think a book exchange would be good. Only problem for me is that I'm very attached to my books and the few I have that I don't like I would feel bad pawning them off to somebody else. But I don't mind getting hold of good 2nd-hand copies of the books I like and exchanging them.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Figured you guys might like this. Just found it on one of my other forums.

It's a What Would Your Deity Do?

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]
WWAD? Artemis- Turn him into a stag to be ripped to shreds by his own barking
hounds.
WWAD? Athena- Stare him down, then beat the crap out of him in a most logical
manner.
WWAD? Apollo- Test their musical skills in a fair contest.
WWAD? Aphrodite- Don't you mean "who" would Aphrodite do?
WWAD? Astarte- Make love AND war.
WWBD? Bacchus- Get them drunk, then turn them into dolphins.
WWBD? Britannia- Rule!
WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you're enlightened, it doesn't. If you're not
enlightened, it still doesn't.
WWCD? Ceres- Discuss it calmly while holding a scythe.
WWCD? Cerridwen- Stir it up one more time.
WWCD? Chaos- No one is quite sure, but it will be messy and . . . interesting.
WWCD? Cthulhu- Does it matter? No one will survive anyway.
WWCD? Cthulhu- Devour them ALL . . .
WWDD? Demeter- Lay waste to your lands if you don't have her daughter back by
10PM and don't even THINK about laying a hand on her!
WWDD? Discordia- Throw some fruit, start a war, and sew the seeds of chaos all while
munching on a hotdog bun and setting up shop in your pituitary.
WWED? Erishkigal- Strip them and hang them on a hook to rot.
WWFD? Flora- Say it with flowers.
WWFD? Fortuna- Play the lottery, I'll bet.
WWGD? Gaia- Remind them to worship the ground they walk upon.
WWGD? Ganesha- Saddle up his rat.
WWHD? Hades- Tell them to go to hell.
WWHD? Hecate- Show them the right path or is it the left?
WWHD? Hera- She'd get jealous.
WWHD? Hercules- He'd labour to come up with an answer.
WWHD? Herne- Lead them on a wild hunt!
WWJD? Janus- Look the other way.
WWJD? Jupiter- Strike them down with a bolt from the blue.
WWKD? Kali- Tear out their beating hearts, drink their blood and dance on their
twitching corpses then wear parts of them as jewellery.
WWKYD? Kwan-Yin- Have mercy.
WWLD? Loki- Turn left at the next corner, buy 5 chickens, "borrow" some jewellery,
change into a seal and steal some apples, for starters.
WWLD? Luna- Moon them, of course.
WWMD? Mithras- Cut the bull.
WWMD? Mars- Suit up for battle.
WWMD? Mercury- Change his mind . . . again.
WWND? Narcissus- Huh? Is someone else here?
WWPD? Priapus- Rise to the occasion.
WWSD? Sekhmet- Drown her sorrows in blood.
WWSD? Set- You don't wanna know, but it won't be nice.
WWSD? Shiva- Dance the night away.
WWTD? Thor- Hammer out a solution.
WWVD? Vesta- Keep the home fires burning.
WWVD? Vulcan- Live long and prosper.
WWYD? Yahweh- Send his son to do the dirty work, while he sits on his cloud
thundering the aeons away.
WWZD? Zeus- By Jove, he'd flirt with the girls![/SPOILER]

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think neo-paganism is extremely interesting, and I especially like the reverence for nature and the Wiccan Rede. "And in it harm none, do as ye will" is a pretty great saying to live by. I also think the duality of the masculine/feminine god/goddess is rather interesting and refreshing in contrast to the common monotheism. I studied Wicca for about two or three years, and although I got a sudden mental wave of skepticism and transitioned to atheism, I still consider Wicca a positive, empowering belief system. My interest in Wicca and vegetarianism arose at the same time, and I initially didn't even think about a possible connection, but I think the whole "harm none" ideology may have definitely led me to this more humane lifestyle.
I'm currently an identity-searching teenager, so who knows; maybe I'll eventually return to neo-paganism in the future.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts