VeggieBoards banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i was practicing some reading comprehension exercises and one of the things was an arguement for the when the 2nd millennium started. The guy argued it was 2001 inwhich it started. But i could never understand why people would think this. He said it was simple addition. You start at 1 and add the 2000 and you get 2001, but really you dont start at one, you start at zero and the 1 signifies the completion of the 1st year and a new one is in process. Which means you start counting from Jan 1 0000, that is the very start of the first year and if you add 2000 years to that you get through Jan 2000, but not the end of Jan the very beginning, right where you started counting from only 2000 years later. Which means the millennium started Jan 2000.<br><br><br><br>
So does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
<a href="http://www.astronomyboy.com/millennium/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.astronomyboy.com/millennium/index.html</a>

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I think you mean 3rd, not 2nd.<br><br><br><br>
Also, with all the changes made to calendars over time, it wasn't even exactly Jan 1 2001 when it began.<br><br><br><br>
None of the Millennium stuff bugged me (pun intended) because I couldn't give a Rat's arse about it really (all those running around saying the end of 1999 were annoying, but their ignorance wasn't harming anyone).

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I've been over all this in my head, and as much as I'd like to have a firm stand on "This is precisely when the new millenium started!" I just can't. I don't think my life will be any better or worse depending on when I think the millenium started. Fact is, we have a calendar system. I don't think most people are going to say, "hu?" when you tell them "Oh, I did that in 2001." Unless my actual communication with people is going to be hampered by a faulty understanding of when a millenium ends or starts, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Still trying to figure this out?<br><br><br><br>
Try this: a child has it's first birthday. After a child is born it is living in it's first (1) year, not it's zero year. A year from it's birth it's now one year old, but has entered it's second (2) year of life.<br><br><br><br>
2000 was the year we were living in, not the year we had completed.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right Red, but if there was no zero year then we are still counting backwards and the 2000th year would be the year we were living in and would be completing in dec 2000

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now it doesnt actually matter when the millenium happened, its just one of those pondering things.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
And I usually do like those pondering things, but this is just one topic I can't make myself care a whole lot about.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by majake</i><br><br><b>now it doesnt actually matter when the millenium happened, its just one of those pondering things.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Did the millenium actually happen? or is it just in our minds?<br><br><br><br>
The year is just a number. It could be 25645, or 20,200,500,203.<br><br><br><br>
Chinese, arab and jewish calenders are different, what is the right number?<br><br><br><br>
(that will give you something to ponder on)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Oooh now that's interesting, 1vegan. There's also the highly complex Mayan calendar, which hasn't been in widespread use by any people group afaik in quite awhile.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by skylark</i><br><br><b>Oooh now that's interesting, 1vegan. There's also the highly complex Mayan calendar, which hasn't been in widespread use by any people group afaik in quite awhile.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
The Mayan calendar is interesting. I wrote a program that showed the time and date on one's computer in the Mayan way; I lost it though, and have been meaning to write a new one. I'm starting to learn Java programming and plan to make a web browser version of it one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts