VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
When did sandwiches become news? This McRib thing is everywhere, and before that it was the Double Down, the Baconator, whatever other greasy concoction they can think up... I mean, really?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was disgusted when a relative of mine who recently claimed to have gone vegan made a post on Facebook saying he just had to get one. Hopefully he was joking.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I tried a McRib back in the omni days. Never understood what all the fuss was about. It tasted very much like a slab of plastic with barbecue sauce poured on top.
Morningstar Farms Riblets lightly grilled on a bun with onion, pickles and a smidge of vegan ranch dressing is more like it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The McRib "returns" every other year. I guess it's easy to forget terrible food, so people are duped into rushing out and rekindling their love of gastric distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Morningstar Farms Riblets lightly grilled on a bun with onion, pickles and a smidge of vegan ranch dressing is more like it!
I generally avoid the meat mimicker products, but those MS riblets really are delicious.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Who the **** cares and why is this news?!?
My thoughts exactly.

Apparently it was a slow news day at the ol' Washington Post.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I tried a McRib back in the omni days. Never understood what all the fuss was about. It tasted very much like a slab of plastic with barbecue sauce poured on top.
I never really understood what was so special about it either. A few years ago (when I was an omni) I remember there being a cold sandwich they sold at 7-11 that tasted pretty much the same.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Who the **** cares and why is this news?!?
There was a thread about McDonald's having veal burgers. I don't see how this is much different. Maybe it should have been put on the off-topic section, but I thought it was news that some people here would care about.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I worked at McDonald's for 14 years. I hated McRib time. You always had to stir the sauce and you would always get splatter burns from having to squeeze the grease out of them in order to get the sauce to stick to them. I think the ones you can make from Morningstar Riblets are better - all you need to add is a bun, onions and pickles.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I worked at McDonald's for 14 years. I hated McRib time. You always had to stir the sauce and you would always get splatter burns from having to squeeze the grease out of them in order to get the sauce to stick to them. I think the ones you can make from Morningstar Riblets are better - all you need to add is a bun, onions and pickles.
Squeeze the grease...?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
yuck!!! years ago when I was a young child and early teen my mom got me one of those McRibs and I took a few bites of it and told her to get me something else to eat almost threw up the rest of the lunch or dinner.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'd be hard-pressed to choose which is the more unhealthy food... a McRib sandwich or the Morningstar Farms vegan equivalent.

They're both heavily processed junk food.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I'd be hard-pressed to choose which is the more unhealthy food... a McRib sandwich or the Morningstar Farms vegan equivalent.

They're both heavily processed junk food.
Calories: 210

Fat: 3.5 Grams

Saturated Fat: 0 Grams

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Sodium: 620 mg

Fiber: 6 Grams

Sugar: 24 Grams

Ingredients:

WATER, EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MOLASSES, TOMATO PASTE (TOMATOES), VINEGAR, TEXTURED WHEAT PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, WHEAT STARCH, PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL COLOR), CANOLA OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF SALT, NATURAL FLAVORS, YEAST EXTRACT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, METHYLCELLULOSE, EXTRACT OF MALTED BARLEY AND CORN, WHEAT GLUTEN, CARAMEL COLOR, SUNFLOWER OIL, XANTHAN GUM, ONION POWDER, GARLIC POWDER, SPICES.

vs.

Calories: 450

Fat: 24 Grams

Saturated Fat: 8 Grams

Cholesterol: 75 mg

Sodium: 890 mg*

Fiber: 2 Grams

Sugar: 3 Grams*

Ingredients: We'll never know and they'll never have to tell us.

==========

Yep, those are two totally equivalent products.

*Edit: I also find it curious the McRib is listed as containing only 3 grams of sugar. I think it's safe to assume they're evaluating just the patty and not including the sauce they come drenched in. The barbecue sauce that comes with their nuggets (which on it's own has more ingredients than the entire Morningstar product) lists 10 grams of sugar in a 1 oz serving (HFCS is the base, naturally). Not to mention an additional 260 mg's of Sodium.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts