VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Personally, it's the man in the purple-dotted trousers and a glowing neon-green bowtie that scares me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I liked the man in the yellow hat. He was very good to George. You must not like George (the monkey) if you don't like the man in the yellow hat. I have a couple of those books and could share a story with you about George and the man in the yellow hat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've always considered the man in the yellow hat creepy, even when I was small. What kind of man spends all of his time with a monkey? And how did he get George in the first place?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

I've always considered the man in the yellow hat creepy, even when I was small. What kind of man spends all of his time with a monkey? And how did he get George in the first place?
He stole George from his home and presumably family in Africa... From the first book:

Quote:
"What a nice little monkey," [the man] thought. "I would like to take him home with me." He put his hat on the ground and, of course, George was curious. He came down from the tree to look at the large yellow hat... [George] picked it up and put it on.

The hat covered George's head. He couldn't see. The man picked him up quickly and popped him into a bag. George was caught.

[The picture accompanying this text depicts George in a sack, only his head visible, with a very surprised look on his face.]

The man with the big yellow hat put George into a little boat, and a sailor rowed them both across the water to a big ship. George was sad, but he was still a bit curious.
(wiki)

George was also stuck in a zoo. From the freedom of his home to the bars of a zoo...

I'm curious if, as children, people had an instinctive negative response to George being caught and taken away from his home?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Nope, but then I guess I wasn't as enlightened as some of you were as a child. I recall liking the curious George books but now trapping an intelligent animal such as a monkey/ape? in the wild like that would bother me.

I am not against zoos in principle, but I do think some animals don't belong in captivity and that animals should not be taken from the wild when there are ones bred in captivity.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Despite appearances, I think that George was actually in complete control of the Man in the Yellow Hat. He was George's lackey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts