VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on my personal experience, I'd say most people who consider themselves environmentalists consider traveling as an interest or hobby. I always thought this was counter-productive to what the environmental movement stands for. For those who consider themselves environmentalists, do you like to travel?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm... I get where you're coming from: reducing your carbon footprint from traveling options (Cars, planes, etc)
But really it depends on HOW you travel. Most environmentalists do car-pooling (even others for that matter) it's not just to reduce your CO2 emission but also to save some money.

I'm not an extreme environmentalists but I do care and I just started changing my lifestyle. I do like to travel but surprisingly i'm more interested in the other cities of Canada than going outside Canada. (most people tend to run away from their country for vacation when they have only seen a fraction of it, i dont get that!)
I do car-pool and I use the public transportation on a daily basis.

I also see travelling as a learning experience so there is much more positive features than negatives ones to traveling.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't travel very much - but when I do, I usually go by train.

Since my trips aren't that long.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I do see the issue here. I care about the environment and am trying to make choices to become more environmentally friendly but I also love to travel the world. I'll have to think about how to do that in a more environmentally friendly way.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, I'd like to see the Egyptian pyramids and visit the rainforests at some point. The Amazon in particular. Other than that, I have no interest in traveling. I understand some people would like to see the world that they're trying to save but it's just not something I'm interested in.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Travelling, especially by plane, does have an environmental impact. I make myself feel okay about it by thinking that in my non-travelling life, I do ****-tons more than your average American to be kind to the planet. There are some things that are just too important to me to abstain from, given that so many other people are doing absolutely ZERO about the problem. Remember, there are still NASCAR racers who burn through gas for kicks, recreational pilots who fly for no other reason than "it's fun," and average people with giant TV's, giant cars, and giant houses. Plus, I think travelling has positive effects when it comes to other world problems. When it comes to international relations and moving forward as a global community, it's absolutely imperative that we learn about other places and people.

·
Registered
963 Posts
When I travel it is to experience a different culture and to learn from that culture. I also tend to travel somewhere and stay gone for a couple months at a time, so it isn't like a flight then a week later another flight. Plus I stay in peoples homes and do my in country travel by bike or many, many people in a car pool so I think the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I think travelling is an important thing for everyone to do. Being environmentally conscious does not mean depriving yourself of experiences like this. For me, travel always has been and always will be essential to my personal growth.

Besides, the meat industry is responsible for more pollution than all forms of transport (aviation, cars, trains, boats, etc) put together. Of course many will argue that giving up steak falls into the same category as giving up travelling, however, you don't learn about other cultures and expand your mind through a steak. Instead you end up causing unnecessary suffering for animals and often kill yourself prematurely in the process. And a steak addiction will do a lot more to harm the planet than jumping on a plane 1 time a year will, or even getting on a plane 8 times a year, which will be more likely for me in a few years' time as I'm on a student budget right now.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Based on my personal experience, I'd say most people who consider themselves environmentalists consider traveling as an interest or hobby. I always thought this was counter-productive to what the environmental movement stands for. For those who consider themselves environmentalists, do you like to travel?
I love to travel, I always take one big trip every summer, this year it's to Brazil. We'll be biking the country, as we always do. Not only is bike-traveling freaking AMAZING to see everything (what do you really see, whizzing past at 50mph?), but you also feel more apart of a community as a whole, and people are much MUCH more likely to be friendly to a bike tourist then a motor tourist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.