VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about a year and a half since I've discovered raw.
I was skeptical about it at first- maybe a little bit in disbelief about people actually living on uncooked foods.
Now I love the idea. I've tried so many times to maintain a high raw diet. Once I went as long as a month at 80%.

I want to be raw. At least 75% for now. It's so hard. I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this. I think we can all use a little inspiration!

So this thread is for everything to inspire, be it recipes, stories, events, experiences, anything!

Today was terrible. I woke up, I had some pear chunks, apples, raw almond butter... then my cousin came downstairs and I got irritated (she and her mom have been staying out our house for 4 months now, and I've grown very intolerant). I wound up eating ridiculous amounts of granola and nut butters because they're comfort foods... then, for dinner, I ate so much soup... sooo much soup. Of course, everything is vegan.. but still.

I'm tired of being tired for somebody my age (17). I'm sick of having acne even though I do try so hard to be healthy and I am vegan. I'm sick of being a little overweight (just a little, I got too skinny last year and gained a little too much back) because I binge on peanut butter and granola. I want to be raw!!

So, tomorrow, this is my plan:

Breakfast: banana, grapes, flax meal.
Lunch: (eaten periodically throughout the school day) pear, apple, Lara bar, 16 oz. coconut water
Then environmental club after school, then workout (weights and running- first time running in months!), then yoga, and then dinner... Not sure what it'll be for dinner, but it will be raw!!

So let's all inspire and be inspired!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Think about how you'll feel after you eat the less-than-healthy-as-raw foods.
That usually helps for me. Especially stuff with gluten. But it's also not the end of the world if you eat cooked food.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing is I get bursts of energy after eating a lot of granola and peanut butter and other high-fat foods. But it is short lived. Nothing gives you energy like good ol' carbs!

So, today was 98% raw. I did have some peanut butter- just a little, though.

I went to the gym after school and went running for the first time in months. I was surprised out how good it felt- I thought I would be tires after 5 minutes. Instead, I ran for about 12, then walked a few, then ran for another 5, cooled down, then 20 minutes on the eliptical, and I still felt SOO energetic. But I had to leave since yoga was starting.

For dinner, I had a really good cauliflower lemon ginger recipe:

About 1/2 head cauliflower
2-4 Tbsp raw tahini
Fresh ginger root (to taste)
juice from about 1/2 lemon'
1 carrot
salt, to taste
water

Just blend everything in the food processor or blender until it's smooth. Add a little water to get it going.

I tossed some with some kale and had it on slices of yellow squash. Yum!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I find watching certain videos can be motivational/inspirational. I love Freelee and Durianrider, they're both so very passionate about the lifestyle, it's impossible not to get a little pumped after watching their videos. You can find both on youtube.

Also, especially with all the exercise you're doing, I would be starving if I only ate what you described. If you want to stop feeling tired, like you say, I dunno...maybe up your calories a bit? As long as you keep your fat comsumption as low as possible, you shouldn't put on any weight even if you up your calories. Remember: low-fat, high-carb vegan!

I'll be revisiting this thread. I also need help staying on the right track. But I try not to beat myself up too much if I do eat some cooked food. I just try to keep it as low-fat as possible.

It's funny how when I'm on my own for a while, it's so much easier to keep it up, while, as soon as I'm hanging out with a friend, my willpower just deserts me!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love theliferegenerator and mahanomi a lot. I don't really watch Durianrider or Freelea. Freelea always comes off as a little conceited to me, but I guess she has reason to be.... but still

I wasn't too hungry, actually. I think that's one thing about high fat diets- they keep you full. I've heard people say that high-fat diets are good for short-term weight loss diet, but it seems like eating a lot of fruit is a lot healthier than eating a lot of nuts and seeds.
I do find it so hard to eat 80-10-10. I love fruit, but almond butter is so good. If I have a banana with 2 or 3 tbsp of almond butter in the morning, that's already all the fat for the day! It's soo hard!

I know what ya mean. My mom especially sabotages it for me by wanting me to make granola bars or soup for her.
Today was only a third raw... I'll do better tomorrow. I want to aim for every other day 95-100% raw for now, at least. I get so excited when I think about being raw, so I know I want to do it. It's just so out there- especially when I run into people who still think it's weird that I'm a vegetarian, let alone vegan.. o.0

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhkay, today was not so great. I ate mostly cooked, but that's okay. My sissy is home for the weekend, so...
Tomorrow I want to start out a high-carb high-raw diet. I found a good recipe site and am scribbling down a bunch of the recipes to put into my raw-recipe binder. I think one of the biggest problems I have is the lack of diversity in diet. My meals are usually either zucchini slices with tomato slices and cauliflower-mash or a kale-carrot-apple salad. I need to have more options!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had a yummy salad for lunch today: marinated curry cabbage with apple pieces!

Recipe:
1 small head of cabbage
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup soy sauce
Juice from half a lemon
1/3 t curry powder
1/3 t turmeric
1/2 t cardamom powder

Mix it all together with a cut up apple and let it sit in the fridge over night. Enjoy! It makes a lot though, so I had about 1/3 of it for my lunch today =)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like recipes that make a lot. I'm more likely to eat raw when I have leftovers sitting in the fridge!

I want to try out a warm raw soup recipe where you pour some tea over grated veggies and herbs! Soup is definitely one of my biggest weaknesses! Especially during the Winter!

·
Registered
566 Posts
So the raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are pretty affordable these days, so I've been eating them as cereal (Ugh, I know my almond milk is store bought so it's not raw) and it's pretty delicious! And I've taken tokeeping several bananas in my office drawer so that they're always handy for when I get hungry and risk eating the wrong foods.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use store-bought almond milk too

It's so difficult to make my own, and it always seems to sour before I can drink it in time...

I was so hungry today. I had a green smoothie for breakfast, then snacked on fruit and a larabar the entire school day and came home soo hungry. So I ate a lot today... Mostly raw, I think, but a lot of fat.
I'll be doing tomorrow 100% raw, try to keep it low fat.

I'm thinking about raw cereal tomorrow too! I have a banana sliced up with some grapes, then I add dehydrated buckwheat sprouts, cinnamon, a drop of vanilla, almond milk, and some maple syrup. It's soo good! Especially with strawberries, but they're hard to find now

Right now, I'm really obsessed with this basil-lemon-ginger sauce, I blend together:
1 avocado
some ginger root
about 1/2 lemon
sm.all handful of basil
coconut water
1/2 Tbsp miso

It goes great on zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice, and it makes enough for a few meals too

I have so many raw recipes I want to try now! I made some buckwheat crackers, so I might have a mini raw pizza tomorrow with a big salad!

·
Registered
566 Posts
hmm...I might be on to something!

The other day I decided (by decided I mean I didn't have to time to make effort) to just leave with a bagfull of apples for my breakfast and lunch. I felt terrific!! Something raw foodist Megan Elizabeth said in one of her videos: you should find your staple fruit to have as the bulk of your diet and the other fruits as complementary. Now Freelee and Durianrider's staple is the banana and Megan's is the mango. I tried using both as the bulk of my diet on seperate days and neither made me feel like the apple did. Maybe...just MAYBE the apples felt "right" because they actually grow where I live, in Ottawa, Canada, where bananas and mangos just aren't natural, just imported. So maybe...if you pick a fruit that is native of the region you live in, it feels more...natural/right? Maybe some of you can give me your feedback on this? Meanwhile...I'm going to go stock up on apples!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

So maybe...if you pick a fruit that is native of the region you live in, it feels more...natural/right? Maybe some of you can give me your feedback on this? Meanwhile...I'm going to go stock up on apples!
That is actually a strong theory in the nutrition community. It's important to eat local because it is what naturally grows where you live and it puts your body in sync with nature. It is believed that eating local helps your body to adjust to the changing seasons. Of course I'm not wording that well, but I think you get my point.

Love this raw thread. I'm really, really, really interested in going raw. I'm just a bit intimidated. And I love soup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to be needing some raw inspiration too! My husband and I went 100% low fat raw for a total of three days lol. We felt amazing, but then headed down the cooked food path and ate 100% cooked/vegan processed meals for over a week and I have felt terrible since. It's tough to get back into raw once you slip like that. But today is a new day and I've eaten three bananas, and a red bell pepper stuffed with avocado and onions. I'm tired of not having energy. I'm only 24 and I'm tired all day. I have three children to keep up with I can't be falling asleep on the couch mid-afternoon.

I'm concerned about getting enough calories as I'm breastfeeding, and thats why I've decided to relax about the fat portion of low fat raw vegan. I'm terrified that I will "dry up" if I don't get enough to eat, but feeding myself enough is difficult when my hands are always so full. I need to teach myself to like dates. I'm in Ontario, Canada and it is cold and very un-inspiring most days. I miss the energy I felt in those three days of going raw. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, but my skin felt clean, inside my tummy felt clean, my hair felt cleaner, everything just felt fresh and energized. I feel like a wee bit of a moron for going back to cooked foods but it was a day where my baby was fussy. It was 7:00 pm and I'd only consumed 900 calories from raw. I'm not going to put as much pressure on myself, either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I always watch Food Matters or Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead when I need a little inspiration!

I've also been trying to grow my own fruits and vegetables...but especially focusing on things that keep coming back year after year, like fruit trees and bushes. So far I have a fig tree, blueberry bushes, and a couple grape vines. This spring a variety of fruit trees are on my to-do list!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
This isn't exactly inspiration, but here's something I'm trying out to get myself eating more (sweet) fruit. I wrote the numbers 1-130 on a piece of paper, and each day I tick off how many pieces of fruit I had, with the goal of 130 during February. More would be better, but I picked that because it's an average of 4-5 per day. It's not inspiration but rather personal accountability. For anyone struggling with eating more fruit (or a certain number of raw meals per day, or something), it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clarita Osita- that sounds like a fun idea! But I have no problem eating enough fruit- aha! I've been really into watermelon. They had a sale at WF yesterday- 2 for $10, and my mom only let me get two :(

Oh well...

I feel really good right now.

For breakfast, I had tons of watermelon and some berries.

snack: banana

lunch: leftover raw high carb lasagna, spinach, and a mango and some strawberries on the side

snack: banana, 2 apples

D: green juice.

Super yummy, and i have so much energy! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts