VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because I usually read about these things in the slipup confessional, and I think the slip ups- where someone deliberately chooses to eat a non-vegan food(kudos to you guys for jumping straight back on the wagon though!
)- are a lot different from doing it accidentally , so two seperate threads are needed IMHO.

Morrisons Vegetarian omega 3 capsules. Now morrisons are notoriously bad for shoving milk in everything, but this claimed to be lactose, gelatin, soya, wheat, gluten and yeast free on the front... but I checked the ingredient list later to find beeswax. D'oh!

Constant. Vigilence. *note to self*

·
Registered
34 Posts
I go to a cafe in town on about a weekly basis. They've got amazing bbg tofu, but it's suposed to come with ranch/swiss. If you're vegan they substitute the dairy with rice + beans) and sometimes avacado if they're really friendly.) There was one lady who didn't exactly grasp the entire vegan concept when she started working there and left off the cheese, but didn't realize ranch is dairy as well. I ate around the ranch for the most part, but it's not that easy. (now that I think of it, this might be a slip-up because I found out after one bite there was dairy but ate the rest anyway as opposed to chucking it. Whatever. It wasn't a concious decision to order it.)

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapower View Post

What is ranch by the way? Sorry but I'm UK...
ranch dressing explained.

Here in the US the HFS sell salad dressings made by Nasoya. They're all creamy dressings, but they're made with soy and completely vegan. Good thing, too, because I've always loved Ranch dressing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks Amy! I thought it would be like salsa so I couldn't work out why it wouldn't be vegan...

I've just bought some reduced out-of date egg-free mayonnaise but I haven't tried it yet...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapower View Post

What is ranch by the way? Sorry but I'm UK...
I had no idea that ranch dressing was an American phenomenon. My life would be so much easier w/out the constant lure of ranch dressing everywhere! Consider yourself lucky! It's like heroine. Creamy heroine that's good with pizza & fries & salad & chips & veggie. Sigh.

I ate "by accident" some mint-yogurt dipping sauce along with my bulani the other night. I'd always enjoyed that appetizer as a vegetarian, and it wasn't until I'd eaten half of it that I realized that now that I'm committing to veganism I need to re-think my routine orders. Must remember. No dairy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My mother make wontons in large batches, and freezes them so she doesn't have to make them that often. Since I am the only vegan in the house, she makes a seperate veggie batch just for me, while the rest have pork in them. They are kept in marked freezer bags to distinguish which ones are veggie wontons. One day, she was cooking some wontons for me for lunch. I almost finished the whole plate of wontons until I bit into one with meat in it! blech.... so nasty, I had to spit it out.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Crap! what's wrong with Subway bread????

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Crap! what's wrong with Subway bread????
not all of it. I just read in the vegans and vegan wannabe's slipup thread that the wheat one has honey in. I always get the wheat one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I had no idea that ranch dressing was an American phenomenon. My life would be so much easier w/out the constant lure of ranch dressing everywhere! Consider yourself lucky! It's like heroine. Creamy heroine that's good with pizza & fries & salad & chips & veggie. Sigh..
One of the powdered mix envelopes (I think Hidden Vally Ranch) is vegan. It's only one version - like JUST the dip but not the buttermilk dressing or something - all I know is it's available at your regular supermarket and is easy to whip up with soymilk and Veganaise and tastes so EXACTLY like "regular" ranch. I always, always have this stuff mixed up in my fridge.

Oh, and the Naysoya stuff is vegan too, though I like the freshly mixed-up stuff better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
DoveInGrey said:
from doing it accidentally , so two seperate threads are needed IMHO.

Morrisons Vegetarian omega 3 capsules. Now morrisons are notoriously bad for shoving milk in everything, but this claimed to be lactose, gelatin, soya, wheat, gluten and yeast free on the front... but I checked the ingredient list later to find beeswax. D'oh!
What's wrong with beeswax?

·
Registered
676 Posts
What's wrong with beeswax? It's from bees.

I wouldn't be happy with someone ripping the walls of MY home apart just to get an ingredient to use in coating pills. Nor do I think the bees appreciate it. There are many "bee" threads here if you want further discussion.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Today I ordered hummus and pita from a pub along with a side of sauteed cabbage. There was no other info about the cabbage on the menu and I didn't bother to ask how it was cooked because it's a fairly veggie-friendly place. I put one bite in my mouth and tasted the horrible flavor of bacon. I haven't had bacon since I was about 3 years old and the taste, scent, flavor etc. has always been unappealing and sickening to me, even before I was veggie. I immediately spit it out and rinsed out my mouth. It made me gag it was so disgusting. Turns out it was made with bacon grease. :blech: I sent it back and they brought me some steamed veggies instead.

*shudder* That taste is so disgusting, I wonder how anyone stands it.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
The first time Iwent to the Blue Mango Rest. (on a list of veg*n friendly Rest. in our area) alone (wife was out of town) and the second time I went with wifey We were served the brown rice. I had explained to the same waitress both times about being vegan and she seemed to understand completely Well we take everybody there for one of our daughters B-day and I explain the vegan thingto her, and when we go to ask for the brown rice she says no It's made with butter and you can only eat the white rice. I got over it but I felt ? what the word for it ? Disappointed? Dang it pissed me of for a minute though.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've been buying soy milk from a little grocery store across the street from my apartment for a while now. The other day I noticed that it says "lactose-free" rather than "dairy-free", so I checked the ingredients, and sure enough, D3. Sucks, because now I have to walk ten extra minutes to the big grocery store just to get soy milk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i bought some soy yogurt and while eating the last one of the 6 pack i read on there 'contains traces of milk' even though milk was _not_ in the ingredients list >_<

i love quizno's veggie sub but did not realize the red wine vinegarette they put on it contained cheese
ever since it has been balsamic (glad they have that choice)

ordered some fried mushrooms from a local joint and asked what was in the dipping sauce and they listed it all off and it was ok to eat.. a few hours later i felt like crap and ended up in the bathroom being sick. i called and they said it had milk _and_ honey in it (i am lactose intolerant) so i got real mad that the waitress lied to me >
|

uhm yea i am sure there are many more but that is all for now :s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts