VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new veg*n.....And am very passionate about doing things for a reason...not just because that's what is expected of me. Obviously, I realize that hard core vegans do not consume any honey...But, I honestly have not read up on that issue as of yet, and am not sure why...I understand everything else...as I am trying to push all animal procucts out of my life....Even my beloved berkinstocks...But HONEY? I am very uneducated on this subject and one love any enlightenment...Thanks!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Those links were really good. Thank you epski. I say to each his own though so it's your personal decision.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You're welcome, Tiggzie. Those are the three best sites I've seen when dealing with this issue. I've never liked honey, though I didn't object to it as sweetener in cereal or whatever, if it wasn't noticeable. Now, I'm fine with having a good reason to avoid the stuff. But, yes, it's a personal decision. Nice to have the information when making the decisions, though.

My wife still eats honey.
That's one reason we say she's a total vegetarian instead of vegan. She's also the roach- and spider-killer of the household. If I see 'em first, I let 'em loose outside.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'll check those links to learn about vegans....! I dont know where to classify myself since I am vegetarian but i consume dairy products and honey.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Epski, when I first moved to New Orleans I never really killed any insects except biting mosquitoes... however, 8 months in this former swamp with roaches in my kitchen drawers, and my tupperware containers, and in my flour, and in my shower has toughened my up a little, and I don't hesitate so much to kill them anymore.

All other insects are free to come and go. I even had a couple anoles in my house, and a gecko.

I'll admit that now that I'm in a new apartment with much fewer roaches, I've quit killing them again. (They still drive me insane however).

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jilhrt2

...as I am trying to push all animal procucts out of my life....Even my beloved berkinstocks...
You don't have to push them out of your life...just replace them with the vegan ones.

Do a search on "honey" in the thread title here on vb....it's all there.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow......there is so much to learn. Thank you Epski for the great links, they were very informative. It is so overwhelming, everything that I have learned in the past months about veganism. And I still have a lot to learn! Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Veganism is a process <-------------------Tape that to your computer screen, your fridge, inside your purse, etcetera!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just a quick question...honey isn't created for humans is it? Don't bees just do this by themselves, and we happen to eat it? It doesn't harm them in anyway, so why can't vegans eat it? I'm not trying to attack, I'm just curious why you guys think this way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whether people eat honey or not is based purely on their personal beliefs. Most vegans, I assume, believe every animal--no matter how small or large, should be respected and protected, not exploited for whatever luxuries they give us. It's really based on if you believe that. I admit, I never thought about bees in that way before. After reading the links Epski posted it opened my eyes. It's similar to a vegetarian who eats chicken--why? I had a conversation with my boss the other day who doesn't eat red meat, but will eat chicken and pork. I used to do that when I was younger and less knowledgable...I asked her why? She said, "Don't you think chickens are just dumber?" It was a very ignorant comment, but one most people assume about other animals. If they don't live or interact as we do, we assume there is no intelligence inside and we rationalize killing them for their lack in ability to "feel pain." I think it's a ridiculous argument, but only because I made the choice to educate myself on it...Anyway, sorry to get on a rant there, but do you think bees can feel pain or not? They are an integral part of our "circle of life." Can we really afford to sacrifice there natural world for a few candles and tea with honey?

*Side point* I am curious as to why everyone on here has decided to become vegan/vegetarian. Many believe we were meant to be herbivores and it is just plain wrong to sacrifice an animal for a meal. Personally, I am because I don't agree with the meat industry as it is. I don't think it's wrong to eat meat....at least not before we evolved into the creatures we are today. Now, with the world in the state that it's in we cannot afford to sacrifice our land, water, and our precious cousins for a "good" steak. (This is my summarized version....Trust me you don't want me to get into it....That's a whole other post--probably a book. Just curious on other people's views!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS....Did anyone watch Walking With Cavemen on the Discovery channel...I thought it was fascinating...As an aspiring filmmaker myself, I really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jilhrt2

*Side point* I am curious as to why everyone on here has decided to become vegan/vegetarian. Many believe we were meant to be herbivores and it is just plain wrong to sacrifice an animal for a meal. Personally, I am because I don't agree with the meat industry as it is. I don't think it's wrong to eat meat....at least not before we evolved into the creatures we are today. Now, with the world in the state that it's in we cannot afford to sacrifice our land, water, and our precious cousins for a "good" steak. (This is my summarized version....Trust me you don't want me to get into it....That's a whole other post--probably a book. Just curious on other people's views!
We're actually omnivores, but that just means we're highly adaptable. It doesn't mean we must eat meat.

I'm vegan because for reasons pertaining to animal welfare, animal rights, my own health, and -- the one that got me started down this path -- for the environment.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I look at it like this, you can kill bugs, any bug,

1) We are bigger then they are PERIOD!. so we can step on them.

2) They are bugs, not animals, BUGS!

3) That is the way this planet is, we are at the top of the food chain. PERIOD

·
Banned
0 Posts
I think that you level of stress and the way your body deals with stress is equal to what you eat also, a vegi person who is all streessed out is going to have more health problems than a meat eater who is humble.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts