VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Line Cinema's two-movie adaptation of Tolkien's prologue to The Lord of the Rings, after many delays, has begun filming. The first, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," is scheduled for release, Dec. 14, 2012, and part two, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," for Dec. 13, 2013.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...html?tag=stack

I can't figure how Elijah Wood, reprising the role of Frodo, can be part of this story, unless it's to be told as a flashback or something.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

New Line Cinema's two-movie adaptation of Tolkien's prologue to The Lord of the Rings, after many delays, has begun filming. The first, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," is scheduled for release, Dec. 14, 2012, and part two, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," for Dec. 13, 2013.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...html?tag=stack

I can't figure how Elijah Wood, reprising the role of Frodo, can be part of this story, unless it's to be told as a flashback or something.
Yeaaaah, and now they have Orlando Bloom making a guest appearance.

Honestly, this is looking like a disaster.

If the novel had never existed, and they had to come up with a cash-in prequel to Lord of the Rings, I imagine that it would be exactly what they're doing. Disappointing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Noooooooooooooooo!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Honestly, this is looking like a disaster.

If the novel had never existed, and they had to come up with a cash-in prequel to Lord of the Rings, I imagine that it would be exactly what they're doing. Disappointing.
Which explains why they're making TWO movies from the book. *ka-ching*

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
To be honest, I'm such a fan I'd pay $200 or more... money is a non-issue when it comes to LOTR/The Hobbit.

I was able to disconnect myself from the books when I sit back to enjoy the films. I have to admit, ask any of my friends, I raged when I saw TTT for the first time in theatres. I was damn near ready to walk out when Arwen showed up at Helm's Deep. But then I realized that being a purist was no fun at all, so I learned to VERY MUCH enjoy Jackson's work.

I can't wait for The Hobbit. OMG, I haven't had to "wait" for a film since ROTK in 2003. Woot!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I am excited about the Hobbit movies! I had waited for the LOTR for YEARS. I LOVE the books; recently re-read all of them. I know they didn't follow the story to the letter, but for entertainment sake, and I think it worked quite well. I imagine they will use flashback so Frodo and Legolas can appear as this will bring in more people. I have HIGH hopes for these movies and can't wait to see them!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
love the LOTR movie trilogy and am looking forward to the Hobbit movie(s).
the main thing i'm happy about is that Peter Jackson is directing it...after all.

re the 2 parts, this is an interesting comment from a fellow fan:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Jackson is actually splitting the book into two movies. The first movie will carry out the entire story of The Hobbit, and the second book will have to do with the period between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. I have heard it suggested that it will center around Gandalf and the White Council's fight against the Necromancer, although I don't think that's been confirmed.

Given the numerous possibilities for story-lines relatively unrelated to The Hobbit, I think it's a bit premature to call including Bloom a bad idea. Although I will admit to a bit of skepticism...
^taken from this recent news article.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSis View Post

love the LOTR movie trilogy and am looking forward to the Hobbit movie(s).
the main thing i'm happy about is that Peter Jackson is directing it...after all.

re the 2 parts, this is an interesting comment from a fellow fan:

^taken from this recent news article.
That's very interesting. As I recall, although its been many years sinse I read the books, Tolkien wrote extensive appendices and other supplemental material, including The Silmarillion, which touched on the larger issues going on in Middle Earth before, during and after Bilbo's little journey. There's enough to keep us in movies for the next century.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

That's very interesting. As I recall, although its been many years sinse I read the books, Tolkien wrote extensive appendices and other supplemental material, including The Silmarillion, which touched on the larger issues going on in Middle Earth before, during and after Bilbo's little journey. There's enough to keep us in movies for the next century.
true dat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts