VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You already have it. Just stop using antibacterial soap all the time. Voila. That stuff kills off the GOOD with the bad. (as do antibiotic medications)

I use soap, don't get me wrong. I just buy soaps that are not antibacterial.

*eta* not trying to insinuate you USE antibacterial soap all the time. I'm saying use it infrequently. Like, after you sneezed and you need to cook your food. Otherwise, after restroom visits and general handwashing needs, use something that won't kill everything on your hands.

And we need the good bacteria (anything that isn't a communical disease/virus) to help keep us healthy. They keep our immune systems strong, keep our bodies fighting off the little things without us noticing there, or barely noticing them (mild cold) so that when something bigger comes along, we are strong and used to fighting things off, and our bodies work better to kill the invading virus/bacteria.

We tend to over-use antibiotics and antibacterial soaps. These soaps were originally created to help those whose bodies could NOT fight off the invading bacterial. People with low immune systems, people with HIV, AIDS, and other immune deficiencies. These soaps helped save these people's lives. And that is a GREAT thing. But they started mass-marketing them to people who didn't NEED them. And now many people don't have the strong immune systems they used to, because of them. People who didn't need the extra immunity help.

Anyway. Rambling.

·
Registered
441 Posts
small amounts are found in yogurt.

i have an autoimmune gut-related disease in which i need more healthy bacteria, and i inject a probiotic acidophilus daily to compensate. i cannot have yogurt (which doesn't have enough, anyway), but it's good to include in your diet if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies so far! i am specifically wanting to know about the kind laurie15 mentioned. is it only found in yogurt? how else can we get it? what else is it in? how much is enough? i hope to hear from others!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our guts are full of bacteria, some good and benefical, some bad and nasty.

A diet high in sugar and fat promotes growth of bad bacteria, which causes gas and indigestion.

'Probiotics' are certain types of good/beneficial bacteria found in some foodstuffs. To get these probiotics into your diet, eat foods like asparagus, certain types of natural live bio yoghurt, Jerusalem artichokes, unrefined wheat, and oats. 'Prebiotics' feed the probiotic bacteria, and you can now get prebiotic-fortified cereal. My advice is to probably take a probiotic and prebiotic suppliment once a day after a meal.

They help digestion, help keep you regular and prevent colon cancer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
sp - the brand I use is bio K. they make a vegan version (I am not sure if you are, but either way) however, there are a ton of varieties.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.