VeggieBoards banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Astarte

I'd just watched Apocolypse Now. At the end of which a tribe of native (savages one could say... that was how they were portrayed in the film) slaughter a real cow on-screen. I was deeply disturbed that night by those images...
Christ. I'm glad I never watched that film. Even if, as Epski said, it wasn't scripted.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
(But Apocalypse Now is at least on the www.ahafilm.com "unacceptable" list. I read that too, that it was a local ritual. Still, when I found out it was a real live cow that got slaughtered, I didn't want to watch the film again.)

About the main topic:

I said this already on my introduction thread but I went lacto-ovo-vegetarian after I read some animal rights quotes and after I saw a PETA ad which depicted a dog standing on a plate and featured the text "why not?". I thought veganism was only about the "unequality of taking advantage of animals" and not also about not supporting the horrible treatment in dairy and egg industries etc. I went vegan (somewhat gradually though: first using soy products and finally giving up cheese) after having read some things from a local Vegan Society page (you know, the logo with the sunflower or some other plant).

So my story is "good to read" in that it shows that the work of animal rights campaigners (like PETA and the Vegan Societies) really pays off - I'm a living example of that.

It seems btw really weird (and of course horrible) to me that you have those dissections there, since in my country it's not an obligation at all in school (only when you study to become a doctor, I think), and I have never had to even choose between dissection and some other option: we had to cut a dead fish once, but that's all I have experienced.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Hrm, for me the "click" came as a combination of two events. First was a dinner with Rabbit on the menu that made me realize I didn't like meat that much. A bit later I had to kill a mouse that one of our cats had gotten into (seemed a better way to deal with it that letting the mouse slowly die) and that event was the "click" that connected my beliefs on non-violence to diet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I didn't have a last straw--I went vegan overnight. About 3 years ago I went out to dinner with friends to Black Angus. Late that night, I had excruciating abdominal pain--it was so bad that I thought I was having respiratory distress. I went to the emergency room where they ran blood tests for bacteria, but they sent me home when they came back clean and the pain passed. I had two more episodes, and decided that I had had enough. After about 15 minutes on the internet, I figured out that I was having gallbladder problems and that my body had basically stopped being able to process cholesterol. The most logical thing to do was to cut out all animal products in order to eliminate all cholesterol. Over the course of the following few months, I learned about the ethical, spiritual and environmental reasons to be vegan and I never looked back!

BTW, I stopped having pain after going vegan and my cholesterol dropped 60 points within a couple months.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i guess there was no "final straw" for me either. when i was a freshmen in high school we had to disect a fetal pig and i almost fainted. i physically could not eat pork for a few weeks and it got me thinking, but i did not think i could give up meat for good. i was afraid that if i tried and i couldnt do it, it would mean i did not belive in it as strongly as i thought. i was afriad of failing at it. then when i was a senior, i started hanging out with a vegetarian boy. he proved that it could be done, and it gave me confidence that i could do it myself. he helped me with the difficult times and my mom was very supportive. (she even said she had seen it coming for a while :-D).

i became vegan gradually, but the thing that made me start trying it was when i was doing some reseach for a school project in college and i found out about rennet. and it made me question why it was alright to kill a calf for cheese, but not for a burger. so i decided to give it up. it was very difficult, especially at college, but i am doing it and proud of myself for the commitment i have made.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had been thinking about it for a long time (well, a few months-- which is an astounding amount of time for me to be interested in anything) and one night at dinner I was eating my spaghetti and I knew that I was going to be offered a meatball, and when I was, "No, I'm going to become a vegetarian" just came out. My family mocked me at the time (and a few times since
) but eventually they realized I was serious and laid off for the most part. Honestly, it's my hatred of violence that motivates me to be veg, but it's my pride that keeps me going in my more selfish moods-- I couldn't live it down if someone found me eating meat now.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I quit red meat 6 or 7 years ago, and chicken/fish just over a year ago. The truth? I didn't want to be one of those "semi-vegetarians" that the real veg*ns despise, who are labelled vegetarian because they don't eat red meat, but who actually AREN'T. That perpetuates the idea that people can' eat meat and be veg and it isn't true. So I quit. My reasons are entirely due to my animal rights beliefs, but since I have always been an incredibly picky eater I didn't think I could give up chicken and fish (we also had a lot of it stockpiled in the freezer and I didn't want it to go to waste). Now I don't miss them at all.

I don't think I will ever be vegan, but I am looking at ways to reduce diary consumption and to find some alternatives. I am not very experimental with food, and I grew up with parents who would not cook for me, leaving me to my own devices (Kraft dinner, tomato soup etc.) so veggies and fruit were actually not even a part of my diet for a number of years. Now I eat 5-6 servings a day, so i have done a lot already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i guess there was no "final straw" for me either. when i was a freshmen in high school we had to disect a fetal pig and i almost fainted. i physically could not eat pork for a few weeks and it got me thinking, but i did not think i could give up meat for good. i was afraid that if i tried and i couldnt do it, it would mean i did not belive in it as strongly as i thought. i was afriad of failing at it. then when i was a senior, i started hanging out with a vegetarian boy. he proved that it could be done, and it gave me confidence that i could do it myself. he helped me with the difficult times and my mom was very supportive. (she even said she had seen it coming for a while :-D).

i became vegan gradually, but the thing that made me start trying it was when i was doing some reseach for a school project in college and i found out about rennet. and it made me question why it was alright to kill a calf for cheese, but not for a burger. so i decided to give it up. it was very difficult, especially at college, but i am doing it and proud of myself for the commitment i have made.
Oh man. I didn’t know about rennet. Thank you for that. You may have been the one to finally get me off cheese.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My "final straw" scenario occurred when I was 19. I was in Maine on a fly fishing trip (fishing was my favorite activity and I had planned on trying to become a professional bass fisherman as an adult), and had gone out to fish a local stream near our cabin while my friends took an afternoon nap. About a half hour into it, I caught a small salmon, no more than 10 inches long, which I quickly released back into the water before heading down to the next pool. After my first cast, I happened to glance down at the water by my legs and there was the salmon I had caught a few minutes before, belly up, as it slowly floated down into the pool I was fishing. As I watched it make its way across the pool then disappear into the rapids below, I decided that when I got home from this trip I would give up fishing, sell all of my fishing equipment (I had thousands of dollars invested in gear), and become a vegetarian. Which I did. And later that summer I took the next step and went vegan.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts