VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I always wanted to stop eating meat, but it wasn't until I met a bunch of vegans/vegetarians that I realized that a life without any meat was possible.

Later on, I became vegan when I realized that, for me, eating eggs and drinking milk seemed... kind of hypocritical for my ethics considering the way animals are treated (those huge farms with so little room) and thought of in the dairy/egg industry (as disposable).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Later on, I became vegan when I realized that, for me, eating eggs and drinking milk seemed... kind of hypocritical for my ethics considering the way animals are treated (those huge farms with so little room) and thought of in the dairy/egg industry (as disposable).
that's why i'm trying to become a vegan. it feels weird to not eat animal flesh yet use products that come from them.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Gradual thing for me. I'm currently trying to stay away from cheese, and doing okay at it ( I had a spinach pie w/ feta over the weekend. Boooooo) It really helps that my husband is just as much against meat and dairy as I am. We help each other.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i was never a big fan of cheese in the first place (except on pizza), so it's not a big deal giving it up. i'm already starting to feel a little sick when i eat dairy in anything bigger than a small amount, because for a few weeks i ate very little to no dairy. i don't think this vegan thing is going to be that hard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rabid_child

I was handed a fetal pig in biology class and told to cut it up. I had been telling the guy for the MONTHS leading up to it that I wouldn't do it, he said I was gonna do it, I excused myself to use the bathroom and left school and walked home. (7 miles)

End of meat.
Heh, likewise I always refrained from the dissecting the frog/pig/etc in Biology way before I became vegetarian. Not the final straw for me but I guess the seeds were sown way in advance.

Never had a final straw, for me it was a "what the hell kind of thing". I'm curious by nature and change interests me. I knew it would open me up to new types of food and be healthier so I went for it. Change and non-conformity makes life more interesting. It was an over night thing and was really painless.

·
Registered
152 Posts
here's my story... most meats started making me sick when i was little, first pork, then red meats and such so by age nine i was down to chicken and fish, and i hardly ate fish either. my sister says i was always difficult to get to eat meat, but idunno about that cuz the few things i do remember eating when i lived with her were mainly meat.

so on thanksgiving when i was twelve or thirteen and everybody was trying to get me to eat their meat and it just made me not want to eat at all. it dawned on me. i just asked myself why i was still eating birds and fish anyway? and i decided to try to stop doing it then.

that's not to say it didn't take me awhile because chicken kept tempting me, but i did stop it. i wasn't a vergy good vegetarian though, cuz i'd never known any others and was ignorant of how much there is to look out for. gelatin, stock, etc... if i couldn't see it i didn't know about it for the most part.

i went vegan at nineteen, after i saw the peta veg starter kit. i actually did the denial thing even after i'd looked at it the first time, thinking that veganism would just be way too hard. but a few weeks later i looked at it again and couldn't deny it anymore.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The last straw for me was when I ordered a pamplet from www.peta2.com and when I got it and read it I was sick. The pamplet was called Question Authority and it told me all about what goes on it the factory farms and the many choices that I have besides meat and dairy.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
close to the final straw:

I was watching TV and a steakhouse commercial came on. A slab was sizzling on the grill, then a big fork came down and stabbed it. The way the meat moved when it was stabbed made me jump. It was almost like my own flesh had been stabbed. After that, meat commercials made me feel really uncomfortable.

the last straw:

Not long after the above, I had a nightmare, which I still find too horrifying to recount. Suffice it to say that my unconscious mind aquainted me, with emotion and graphic imagery, with the fact that cruelty to non-human animals is the same or worse as cruelty to humans. I woke up and said to myself, I cannot eat meat again, ever. And I haven't.

the final, final straw:

I was still lacto-ovo. A few days ago I read something Oatmeal said on here about cheese. I don't remember the exact words, but it made me think about how eating cheese without rennet is no different than eating cheese with rennet -- cows are still cruelly exploited, calves still die, there's no difference. (of course I already knew this, I just suddenly got it, you know?) And I thought, sh*t, I might as well go back to eating meat if I keep eating dairy products. I started reading the Vegan Outreach page and got a couple of vegan cookbooks from the library, and I've been eating vegan for a few days. It's not hard at all -- it's totally easy. I only wish I'd made this decision years ago.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I used to donate to some animal rescue/welfare groups, and they must have sold my name & address to PETA, who started sending me literature. For months I felt guilty eating meat while reading this stuff, but I told myself I could never quit (I was a fast food junkie). But then one night I was looking through something they sent me and came across a picture of a cow from Mexico that was going to imported to the U.S. for slaughter. They had his snout pulled up with these metal things while they were hot branding his face. His face was literally on fire. It just broke my heart. I never ate meat again.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Several years ago, I rescued a goldfish from a huge bin at a carnival, and shortly after became intensely attached to him. Soon, he was as spoiled as he could be -- his aquarium became a Club Med, and he reveled and thrived in the attention. Well, one day about a year and a half ago, I was eating grouper at my dining room table and glanced over at the fish tank, as I always did -- and stopped cold. There, on my plate, was the exact sort of creature that was living in my home as my companion animal, one who would kiss the glass when I put my finger up to it and make me laugh with his crazy antics.

That night was the last time I ever ate fish, and the other forms of flesh soon followed. I've been vegetarian for a year now, and I've never been happier!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
You guys are going to laugh at my story, perhaps, but oh well.

I was on a backpacking trip and was rolling (or whatever term you use) on ecstacy (MDMA). I returned from a hike with a couple people and noticed a few people in our group were cooking some crayfish they caught. I instantly felt empathy with the crayfish and decided that we had no right to put it in pain.

After evaluating the experience for a while, I decided that, no, those weren't just crazy thoughts while high. My empathetic feelings were still valid. So I then went Veg.

ebola

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had been doing research on the best types of diets to live off for maximum health reasons.. since I'm a little out of shape.. and realized how horribly crappy our farm animals are actually treated. I guess I had always known in the back of my head but meat just was always a part of my life and I was used to eating it. Anywho.. a vegetarian diet is very healthy so I was considering it very seriously but I wasn't sure if I could totally give up meat.. that is until my vegan sister in law showed me Meet Your Meat and I cried my eyes out.

Right then and there I stopped eating meat, and now I'm on my way to vegan.. and that's been difficult so far since my bf is still omni.. but I'm working on that! Now whenever I see fast food, milk or meat commercials I get grossed out and have to put the tv on mute!

"Beef.. it's what's rotting in your colon" - from a Peta T-shirt

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'd say so. Net good in the world was increased thanks to that particular experience. Let's get everyone on X. Actually, I do that in one of my scripts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There's some cool stories here, they should be printed and stapled together, then left in cafeterias

I can remember being very young (like 3yo) and thinking something was disgusting about eating meat. I was often left (forced to finish my food) chewing a hunk that I just couldn't swallow and feeling like I would upchuck. When I was about 13 years old, I was eating a Arby's roast beef sandwich with my Dad.. when I got a big old nasty fatty hunk. I couldn't finish my sandwich, made a big deal out of it and stopped eating red meat that day. I stayed that way for the next 8 years. Any time I would find those veins or fat chunks in chicken, I'd remember the Arby's incident & get nauseated. I always knew I wanted to be a full vegetarian but while living at home I didn't have much say in any of that, no idea how to "safely" make a switch, etc. When I was 21yo, I decided I wanted to make the change, spent a bunch of time online doing research, showed my s/o the sites I'd been looking at. We bagged up the few meat products we had in our home and gave them to family. That was 1999, haven't looked back or "slipped up", but it's a huge challenge (convenience wise) and continues to be a shock every time we learn of another "hidden ingredient". Worth it though.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'd just watched Apocolypse Now. At the end of which a tribe of native (savages one could say... that was how they were portrayed in the film) slaughter a real cow on-screen. I was deeply disturbed that night by those images and expressed my distress to my stepfather.

In his own fashion, he laughed and said "Well, I have news for you. You eat cows like that all the time!" And that's when it clicked. I've never eaten an animal since.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
That cow was being slaughtered by the locals as part of a ritual that Coppola was "lucky" enough to capture on film for authenticity. They did not actually buy and slaughter it just for the film.

Just so the facts are clear.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts