VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is music videos can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to make and some can even cost close to a million dollars. Could anyone explain where this money goes? What benefits do music videos bring given the enormous profit losses the music industry has suffered from in recent years?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Pretty stupid, especially since so many of them don't even get watched. It's not as if music videos are even on the "music video" channels anymore.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Pretty stupid, especially since so many of them don't even get watched. It's not as if music videos are even on the "music video" channels anymore.
I miss those days

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Thats what I am saying... They still make music videos? MTV isnt even the Music TV anymore.

People make them because its a form of advertisment plus you get paid if people show them... Just like listening to music on the radio.

I use to love them in my teens... I would put on some Fuse(What was its name before that though?) or some MTV, and watch and listen while I played computer games. I even had my friends who had MTV at times I didnt record certain videos for me.

Now the so called music channels are all full of Reality tv series, so which one really is the devil reality tv or music videos?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I want my...

I want my...

I want my EM TEE VEE

·
Registered
632 Posts
i love music videos. when they're good.
but it's sad when they're bad. there's some songs i like but can't even post because the video is just that bad.

i did find this interesting article that's more of a how to, but the first part explains how relevant music videos are in today's internet/mobile smart-device world.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

I use to love them in my teens... I would put on some Fuse(What was its name before that though?) or some MTV, and watch and listen while I played computer games. I even had my friends who had MTV at times I didnt record certain videos for me.
LOL I used to do this with my friends that had Fuse!! They got soo many videos that we didn't. Honestly I miss music videos. I discovered so many bands I wouldn't have if music videos didn't exist.

They played the best videos super late at night though so I would set my vcr and just let it go all night long and then rewatch it the next day to see what was on. I miss 90s videos!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

I use to love them in my teens... I would put on some Fuse(What was its name before that though?)
mmusa i believe. i loved fuse as a teenager, never was a big fan of mtv. music videos really are kind of dead though.. honestly. i don't see why they are made anymore.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
^ I was wondering about that as well. I think the fact that music channels ditched the videos and adopted reality tv also played a huge part.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Now the so called music channels are all full of Reality tv series, so which one really is the devil reality tv or music videos?
My brother says MTV doesn't play music video's anymore. Is VH1 the same way?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

My brother says MTV doesn't play music video's anymore. Is VH1 the same way?
Only in the early morning usually around 6am-9am. Then it's all reality tv. It seems like since MTV debuted "The Real World" it jumpstarted the whole music channel/reality tv phenomenon. The Real World was so highly successful the first few seasons and MTV/Vh1 started cranking out one reality show after another soon afterwards.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I used to love music videos. I still do, to a certain degree, and have dvd and video of some of my favorites that I still watch from time to time. (Or I just watch them on YouTube.) I used to love 120 Minutes on MTV.

I don't know why anyone really cares how much they cost to make, though. The money goes to pay the people who produce, direct, edit, and perform in them, as well as assorted staff, location and equipment rental, etc. Just like movies or tv shows.

Maybe it would be better if it were a music video about Ghengis Khan?
I'm just curious as to how it costs so much. Do the directors make that much? It just amazes me as to the cost of some music video's. As profits continue to dwindle for the music industry, I expect it will be the first thing cut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts