VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need some help.

My lovely older kitty has developed a habit of peeing on my bed - She doesn't do this anywhere else, and she does use her litter tray (also to pee). I really don't want to lock her out of the bedroom because she becomes very distressed at night if she is shut out of the room.

However, it is getting exhausting. I'm having to wash the sheets (and clothing if I'm forgetfull enough to leave some on the bed) every damn day. I really want to sort this out, but I don't know where to start.

(as a side note, anyone got any tips for getting the smell of cat pee out of stuff?...a couple of items still have an interesting odour after having been washed)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I don't know what to tell you as far as keeping her out of your room, but I have a male cat that likes to pee on the floor. He isn't allowed in any of the bedrooms for this reason. I use a product called Nature's Mirace to help with the stain and smell. You can get it at petsmart, a gallon of it is like $20.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Feliway plug in-it works, get one and plug it in your bedroom. You can get it at the fosters smith website.

·
Registered
995 Posts
She is jumping up on something soft while she goes, I had an older male cat who did thhis any time he got a urinary problem going usualy stones.

He did it on my bath mat, she needs to go to the vet and have infection or stones ruled out.

If cats are hurting when they go to the bathroom they attempt to find a more comfortable spot

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Unfortunately, I am pretty well versed on this subject and know just how maddening it can be, it is very important to make sure your cat isn't sick just in case, if not buy this litter and all the peeing will stop:

http://www.amazon.com/Elseys-Preciou...&s=home-garden

They have it at pet stores, for whatever reason this always works. I know someone who was going to give their cat away because of the nasty pee-pee smell and convinced her to try this and the problem was solved immediately, I have another friend who swears by this for her two feral cats as well.

I agree with the poster who suggested Natures Miracle for the odor, there is nothing better at getting rid of these awful smells and it's all natural because of the way the enzymes work at destryoing these types of odors.

Good luck! Let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

Big oops, the original link I put in my post was wrong, here is the litter I was referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Elseys-Preciou...206430?ie=UTF8
Wow, I may have to try this litter. There is nothing medically wrong with my cat, he is just territorial and likes to pee on the carpet. I have to lock him in a room at night with tile so he doesn't pee anywhere because I notice he likes to pee on the carpet at night. Drives me nuts, some areas of the carpet are orange now and the only thing to get rid of the smell is that Natures Miracle. Without that stuff, the entire house would smell like 5 day old urine.

I think I may try this litter. I use the feliway, I use nature's miracle, I spray no-go is his typical spots and he still wins.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sunshinegal, so far everyone I know who has used it finds that it does the trick. Just in case anyone looks at the first link, which is not the right litter, the name of it is called "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract" and they sell it at a lot of places. I believe it uses some type of synthetic pheromone that drives cats to use it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Pee on his bed. That'll learn 'im.

I saw on a show where if you mix a couple tablespoons of baking soda w/a few drops of lemon juice in a spray bottle w/water it's suppossed to work real well. I haven't tried it yet, but just an idea if you already have that stuff around your house. I'm sure, assuming it works, if you add it to your laundry that should take care of the odor. Very inexpensive, especially since you have to wash sheets everyday.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You might not want to do this, but I had a cat that urinated outside the litterbox frequently. I put her in a crate (cage) with a litterbox, food, and water when I was not home and if she had not urinated when I got home, I let her out and praised her as soon as she did. If she had urinated, of course, I let her out immediately. It worked.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank everyone for their replies and advice!

I haven't launched into anything yet, as for the past few days it has all been ok.

She's been checked by the vet, and she's perfectly fit and healthy.

So I've started out by moving the bath mat, and removing any piles of clothes etc. So far so good.

I've been monitoring her litter tray use, and she's happily using it, and everything that's coming out is normal.

She does have some attachment issues so I wondered if this was a problem, but I'm going to cross each bridge as I come to it. But all the ideas you've given me have been really helpful. Thank you!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts