VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not really endlessly fascinating (although one can always hope), but I thought I'd post a bit about myself anyway. I'm not sure whether introductions are de rigeur on these boards or not, but I figured it couldn't do any harm.

I'm a 23 (turn 23 tomorrow, that is) year old straight white male, of 3/4 Jewish ancestry (1/4 is Swedish, 1/4 Russian Jewish, and 1/2 Polish Jewish). I go to the University of Chicago, where I'm majoring in economics. I used to be a mathematics major who specialized in economics, but it turns out I'm bad at math.

I'm usually in the south side of Chicago, Illinois, for college, but sometimes I'm in St. Louis, Missouri.

I'm became a vegetarian almost 10 years ago (summer of 1997, I think), and became a pseudo-vegan around two years ago. (note: I make an exception for honey in my veganism, because I don't think its production is morally objectionable (I hope I'm not sparking some great controversy here). I first became a vegan at college while still being ovo-lacto at home, because I didn't want to drive my mom crazy. Eventually, while talking with a counselor about 9 months ago about being more assertive, I decided to tell my mom that I was going full time vegan, and if she found this too onerous, I could cook for myself.) I don't consider my being veg*n a big part of my identity, and I'm not really an activist (although I am veg*n for ethical reasons, not health reasons). I suppose my view is that ethics is intuitive at its core, but should be subject to rational scrutiny. (I approach ethical matters with a mix of Humean sentimentalism, Benthamite utilitarianism, and Moorean intuitionism)

I'm something of a politics junkie type. I'm a liberal with a few libertarian tendencies (I might be considered a "moderate liberal," but I'm not moderate about everything. For example, I support free trade and think Bob Rubin was a great treasury secretary, but I opposed the Iraq war from the beginning). Blog-wise, I like Brad DeLong, Ezra Klein, Julian Sanchez, Majikthise (Lindsay Beyerstein), Matthew Yglesias, and Pandagon.

I like some pen & paper role-playing games (e.g., Dungeons & Dragons, etc) and some computer games, mainly strategy (Civilization-type games). Currently, my computer's very outdated, so I don't really play contemporary games, and I don't really play games much at all anymore.

I enjoy cooking. It's really not a chore for me, even independently of getting to eat the food. Cleaning up afterwards, on the other hand, is a chore, and my sink has a definite tendency to accumulate dishes. I like to consider myself a good cook, although I have a somewhat limited repertoire. Like everyone else here (probably), I found "Vegan With a Vengeance" a lot of fun. (hurray banana-pecan pancakes!)

I've never liked drugs, smoking, or alcohol (except red wine as a component of marinara sauce). It's more an issue of what I personally find appealing than a moral issue for me, though.

I also like to garden, especially herbs. Currently, I don't have a garden, and my apartment has a north-facing window, but I'm looking into possible ways I might grow something, and am trying to get in touch with my landlord about it regarding an unused bit of the apartment buildings' grounds. (might work, might not)

I also like fictional writing, although I don't do as much as I'd like. Currently, my big project is "Commander Lance Proton, Space Ranger!" a sci-fi/space opera novel. I'm attempting to give it an atmosphere of 50s retro-kitsch while still making it more than a gimmick and taking the premise seriously (while still giving it a bit of humor). I've tried NaNoWriMo before. I got about 7% done before the month ran out.

I'm an atheist. I don't have any definitive certainty that there is no god, just as I don't have definitive certainty that Elvis isn't still alive, but it doesn't strike me as a matter of great uncertainty or speculation. I'm not an evangelical atheist: I just believe what I believe, and don't believe what I don't believe.

I usually like to think of myself as a basically upbeat, optimistic guy. Lately I've been having some problems, including academic and psychaitric problems, but I'm trying to overcome them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

I like some pen & paper role-playing games (e.g., Dungeons & Dragons, etc) and some computer games, mainly strategy (Civilization-type games). Currently, my computer's very outdated, so I don't really play contemporary games, and I don't really play games much at all anymore.
Hello fellow gamer. Absolutely adore Civilization. I've been playing civ4 recently with some amazing user-made content. Got distracted by one of the best game series ever created - Baldurs Gate and am finding my life is being sucked away by old graphics and great gameplay.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.