VeggieBoards banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belledozer View Post

I take 1000mcg of B12 daily. Could this be why the mozzies will hoover and land and not bite?? I didn't know that B12 could be used as a mozzie repelant.

Prior to going vegetarian last year the mozzies in the summer used me for all their meals. Hey I consider it another benefit of going vegetarian. Thanks OregonAmy for letting me know that it was the B12 that was repelling those pesky mozzies.
I don't know about that because I've been vegan for almost 4 years, take a B12 supplement, and the mosquitoes chow down on me big time. They leave my omni bf alone though. I thought it was because vegans have tastier blood.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've been veggie for 10 years.

I had an incident whereby I had no access to deodorant for a couple of days, and I was skint. I smelled awful.

The moral of the story: It doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I've been veggie for 10 years.

I had an incident whereby I had no access to deodorant for a couple of days, and I was skint. I smelled awful.

The moral of the story: It doesn't make a difference.
This controlled study disagrees with your personal experience
Besides, there's bound to be individual differences (and it even mentions this in the study abstract). I remember back when I was in biochem, the professor was discussing this phenomenon. There is actually a biochemical basis to this.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Maybe not directly related.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0814175146.htm

My guess is it could do with the enviornment set up by your body, without the compounds and such, that are in animal products.
Bacterial contamination is just another source of bad odor. The study controlled for this sort of thing: if someone had bacterial contamination, their diet is unlikely to affect their odor (unless the diet was somehow feeding the bacteria as well).

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belledozer View Post

I don't know if we do smell better. What I do know is that I'm normally a mozzie magnet, and they love to snack on me over the summer. Last year I went vegetarian, and I noticed that while they would hoover around me in clouds, and would land, they wouldn't bite me. I only had about 3 to 4 bites over the summer, and even though I did get the rare bite, it would itch very little, and the welt from the bite would go away within a couple of days. Ditto with fleas. Hmmm, I wonder if the lack of meat in my system had something to do with it??? It's something to ponder.
!!!

that is what happened to me when I was last camping. Other people got bitten on and off, but I NEVER got bitten but was always covered in mozzies. I was l/o at the time I think. I don't know if it's related to veg*nism though, a couple of my veg*n friends were there too and they didn't have this problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well my cousin ate pastrami and then came over here and gassed up the whole living room for hours
and when she left we all agreed that her *stuff* stank! Even with the air purifier on! Horrid smell. We have 5 vegetarians in this house, and ours smells pretty good compared to that stank.

Can't believe I just typed that! LOL

21 - 29 of 29 Posts