VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm curious about vegan (or in some cases vegetarian) B-12. If that vitamin is found only in meat products, how can they make a veggie-friendly version? Where does the source come from? And are they truly veggie-friendly or a pipe dream of some kind?

I've been doing some reading and some sources say that it is rare for a B-12 deficiency, so is it really necessary if the diet is relatively good? Can a person get tested for the deficiency?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Can a person get tested for the deficiency?
absolutely. Your general doctor should be able to get your blood tested or find someone that can.

B 12 is synthesized using bacteria. Animals aren't independently capable of producing it. B 12 tablets should say something like "suitable for vegetarians" on the bottle. And there's a lot of foods that are fortified with the vitamin anyways.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Yep, there is vegetarian b-12. And you can get tested for deficiency, I just was. I was found to be deficient - fatigued, depressed, poor sleeping. The good thing is, the vast majority of vegetarians never have a problem with b-12. Vegans can have a problem (as I'm an example of), but it usually takes 3 to 5 years to develop. If you supplement, there never should be a problem.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Eggs are a very good source of vegetarian b-12
"When it comes to chicken eggs the raw yellow has most of the vitamin B-12 with 1.95μg per 100g serving (33%), however, this equates to 0.33μg per yolk or just 6% of the RDA. The eggs of other animals are higher with a goose egg providing 7.34μg (122% RDA) of vitamin B-12 per 100g serving, and a duck egg providing 3.78μg (63% RDA). "
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...itamin-B12.php

And here is a place full of info on getting vegan b12
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
What every vegan should know about B12

Quote:
To be truly healthful, a diet must be best not just for individuals in isolation but must allow all six billion people to thrive and achieve a sustainable coexistence with the many other species that form the "living earth." From this standpoint the natural adaptation for most (possibly all) humans in the modern world is a vegan diet. There is nothing natural about the abomination of modern factory farming and its attempt to reduce living, feeling beings to machines. In choosing to use fortified foods or B12 supplements, vegans are taking their B12 from the same source as every other animal on the planet - micro-organisms - without causing suffering to any sentient being or causing environmental damage.

\t Vegans using adequate amounts of fortified foods or B12 supplements are much less likely to suffer from B12 deficiency than the typical meat eater. The Institute of Medicine, in setting the US recommended intakes for B12 makes this very clear. "Because 10 to 30 percent of older people may be unable to absorb naturally occurring vitamin B12, it is advisable for those older than 50 years to meet their RDA mainly by consuming foods fortified with vitamin B12 or a vitamin B12-containing supplement." Vegans should take this advice about 50 years younger, to the benefit of both themselves and the animals. B12 need never be a problem for well-informed vegans.

\t Good information supports vegan health, pass it around.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Given that Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies are more widespread in the general population than previously thought it is reasonable to assume that deficiencies in the veg*n population are at least equal in prevalence. In large studies of the U.S. population 39% were found to have sub-optimal levels of B12 and 77% had sub-optimal levels of Vitamin D. As others have stated it can take several years to go through your B12 stores, but that assumes you had adequate stores to begin with. These two vitamins are implicated in a lot of important health issues and I advise everybody (veg*n or not) to have their levels checked. I did and was found to be deficient in both. Best of health to you!

http://www.ajcn.org/content/71/2/514.abstract

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/169/6/626

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information, everyone. I have plenty of reading to do now!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I never think about it, and my tests (I get all my everythings tested, for different reasons) always come back with no deficiencies

·
Registered
765 Posts
my hubby just give me VITB12 injection when necessary - been feeling fine but lately feeling bit fatigued and drained so time for one. it does help as I took them even when I was eating meat back in the days.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

my hubby just give me VITB12 injection when necessary - been feeling fine but lately feeling bit fatigued and drained so time for one. it does help as I took them even when I was eating meat back in the days.
Is your husband a dr?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

no his not a doctor but he knows exactly where to inject me. been doing it for years.
I didn't know you could purchase injectable B12 without it being done or prescribed by a doctor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
in cape town you can buy the vitb12/vitb6 50ml bottles in pharmacy's. my hubby must still give me injection. i hate needles
) so take some courage.. it also burns.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

in cape town you can buy the vitb12/vitb6 50ml bottles in pharmacy's. my hubby must still give me injection. i hate needles
) so take some courage.. it also burns.
Quote:
Oh interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll stick to taking B12 pills though and eating fortified foods.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Oh interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll stick to taking B12 pills though and eating fortified foods.
do what works.

some people need the injections however so its good to share sources.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once I found some vegan B complex vitamins, things really change. I get around 200% on most days, to upwards of 83000% (look up enerB shot) occasionally. B12 went from top priority months and months ago, to something I don't even really need to think about anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts