VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting concept...

Quote:
The British creator of a film imagining the assassination of U.S. President George W. Bush is concerned his motivation will be obscured in the international uproar over its audacious realism. "The film does not take the assassination of Bush as the premise for entertainment," said writer/director Gabriel Range, 32, whose film Death of a President is scheduled to receive its world premiere tonight at the Toronto International Film Festival.

"It's the starting point for what I hope are some quite serious reflections on these extraordinary times we live in."
Full story...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Death of a President weaves newly shot and archival footage of Bush to depict a wholly plausible and absolutely spellbinding "what if?" scenario of the murder of the U.S. commander-in-chief in the very near future Oct. 19, 2007, to be exact.
$50 says some nutcase is going to attempt something really stupid that day.

Quote:
"It isn't about the assassination of Bush, really," Range insisted. "It's about using the dramatic device of the assassination as a means of looking at America. It's an imagined future to reflect on America today."
Um... the title of the film is "Death of a President."
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'ts not "Death to Bush." It's "Death of a President." I imagine that gives the director more allegorical license. But, without seeing the film, I can't really say. I'm sure some reviewers have written about it after seeing the film in Toronto, if you want more details.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

More details would be nice.
Well then put Google or GoodSearch to work. Search the film and probably "review" and I'm sure something will come up. Alternately, look for coverage of the Toronto International Film Festival, where it recently screened.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm more interested in the results of the historical inacuracies of the "Docudrama" Path to 9/11. I'm more interested in watching the escalation of scare-tactics, and the use of contrived news to manipulate US elections. Orange alerts seem to happen right around election time to manipulate swing voters. Some where down the line they are generally exposed as the lies they are. To make it look real, they round up a few Muslims. I wonder if this film will harm or help the anti-war cause?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
The alarmist news stories and editorials provoked worldwide by the film - along with death threats for Range and festival organizers
It's frightening that someone can worship someone like Dubya. It's even more frightening that someone can worship him so much that (s)he'll make a death threat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts