VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For most of my life, I always knew what clothing size I wore at any given moment. I could walk into any clothing store and know what size to try on.

It's all different now. It seems as if everybody insists on having their own clothing sizes now. I have NO idea what size to try on wherever I go.

For years I wore a size 6 Petite in pants. That's all changed now. Last year I bought two pairs of pants at JC Penney that are a size 4. I've gained a little weight in the midsection this year, and now I can't close those pants completely. I can't button the buttons and hook the hooks without feeling like I've being winched into a corset or something. A couple weeks ago, for the first time, I took off the belts that came with the pants because they made the pants too tight to wear.

So when I took jeans into the fitting room at Target last night, I had several different sizes to try on because I really had no clue which one would fit me. I was confused when the first pair I tried on, a size 4, FIT ME. They were a wee bit tight, but I could close them completely and I could breathe.

WTF happened? Why do I have size 0 pants in my closet from one store, a size 2 from another store, a size 4 from another store, and a size 6 from yet another store?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

For most of my life, I always knew what clothing size I wore at any given moment. I could walk into any clothing store and know what size to try on.

It's all different now. It seems as if everybody insists on having their own clothing sizes now. I have NO idea what size to try on wherever I go.

For years I wore a size 6 Petite in pants. That's all changed now. Last year I bought two pairs of pants at JC Penney that are a size 4. I've gained a little weight in the midsection this year, and now I can't close those pants completely. I can't button the buttons and hook the hooks without feeling like I've being winched into a corset or something. A couple weeks ago, for the first time, I took off the belts that came with the pants because they made the pants too tight to wear.

So when I took jeans into the fitting room at Target last night, I had several different sizes to try on because I really had no clue which one would fit me. I was confused when the first pair I tried on, a size 4, FIT ME. They were a wee bit tight, but I could close them completely and I could breathe.

WTF happened? Why do I have size 0 pants in my closet from one store, a size 2 from another store, a size 4 from another store, and a size 6 from yet another store?
what happened? western obesity and and global marketplace with different sized consumers maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have that problem with clothing now too. At this point in time, my closet is a rainbow of sizes from extra smalls that are still too big to extra larges that barely fit. It's very frustrating. When I go shopping and someone offers to help me find things, I never know what to tell them. I've mostly given up on sizes. I write my measurements down before buying new clothes and go right to the sizing charts for that particular company.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just list the sizes in inches or centimeters and be done with it. Women's sizes (00, 0, 3, 4, 13) make no sense to me. Why not just list the waist / inseam / stomach / breast / neck?

A person can have all these measured and then they will know their comfortable range and there will never be any confusion.

I don't like having to try on smalls and mediums of every shirt I want to buy because it depends on the company as to which size I wear. I'm a medium build, but most mediums I try on are HUGE.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Victoria's secret is really big on this. They want every woman to feel like she wears a larger bra size, i guess.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, damn vanity sizing. Men's clothing does the same thing. The New Yorker had an article on the relationship between men and clothing a while back and in it they took out a size 36 in a bunch of different stores and the vanity sizing was crazy. Some stores are just worse than others. Old Navy came out pretty bad, but Ralph Lauren is lousy with vanity sizing too. When something says size 30" it ought to be that size. People look at me funny when I say I wear size 28's, but that's apparently the new 30".

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I wish i was rich enough to hve someone make clothes for me, i'm not really into fashion, and i wouldn't be getting crazy expensive materials, i'd just have a perfect fit for myself. In pants i'm a size8-11, maybe 13 now, i haven't been shopping in a long time. Shirts i've always been a medium sometimes a large, i got a shirt that is a small, trust me i'm not small, my sister is. I hate just shopping but this makes it so much worse, and i have to take 3 pairs of everything in different sizes to try them all out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
And they fit differently in different places. I can never find jeans that are tight enough in the thighs without being too tight on the hips. I wish they made more high waisted but still fashionable jeans (aka non-mom jeans)
And sometimes a small/6 fits, sometimes it's even too lose, but then some 8's or 9's are way too small for me. It's incredibly irritating. It always leaves me frustrated.
If only those maternity elastic waistbands were fashionable

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

This annoys me too, Amy. It seems like these days, you can't buy anything without trying it on because sizes mean nothing.
Except T-shirts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

Except T-shirts
T-Shirts too. At Target, the smalls are often too big width wise, but at places like Forever 21, sometimes the Larges don't even fit. No consistency! If I order online, it's a gamble. The Medium Chinchillin' shirt I have is too tight, but the Medium X-Files shirt I got fits perfectly. I bought a Large with the Medium, just in case the Medium as too small.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

T-Shirts too. At Target, the smalls are often too big width wise, but at places like Forever 21, sometimes the Larges don't even fit. No consistency! If I order online, it's a gamble. The Medium Chinchillin' shirt I have is too tight, but the Medium X-Files shirt I got fits perfectly. I bought a Large with the Medium, just in case the Medium as too small.
There is no consistency in shirt sizes, also. I've always been pretty petite, with a small torso, short waist and narrow shoulders, but the X-small shirts at Target are too tight on me. Who on earth is THAT tiny?
I usually get a small at Target. The medium is usually too big on me.

Yet I've tried shirts at other stores where the small is too small and it's the medium that fits me properly. I know clothing can run big or small, but that's ridiculous.

And don't get me started on "one size fits all". No, it doesn't.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
It doesn't matter. Stores never have my size anyway, so I have to order online. It's Russian roulette.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:

There is no consistency in shirt sizes, also. I've always been pretty petite, with a small torso, short waist and narrow shoulders, but the X-small shirts at Target are too tight on me. Who on earth is THAT tiny?

Yet I've tried shirts at other stores where the small is too small and it's the medium that fits me properly. I know clothing can run big or small, but that's ridiculous.

My sister is that small
Not right now, she's pregnant, but when she's not, she's super duper tiny with big boobs.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Clothing is probably one of the things that I find should be the same (although, even shoes for men don't matter... I can wear shoe sizes from a 10-12 and have them all fit with the same amount of space--they're even the same basic size). But for clothing, I think they should be standardized across the world. Labels should have pants with a waist/inseam/hips type of measurement on them (even for men's, just for consistency)--and put the measurements in inches and metric--although really they should probably just make them all metric. Similar for shirts (although like have a set range for sizes, like a small must fit from a certain size to another, medium for another, and large for another, with sizes below and above as well).

What's really messed up, is that the most comfortable shoe size I have is 10.5 in men's that have to be wide (given one company that I normally have to buy from given the fit)--yet it is a 10 in women's shoes (long story, know some women, kind of came up one night--doesn't even have to be wide), yet I cannot fit into the 8.5 men's shoe because my foot won't even fit into it!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

It's beyond frustrating. I really don't understand people who love to go clothes shopping.
I like shopping for clothes, but that's probably because I almost never try anything on...I hate going into a dressing room and avoid it whenever possible. I'm lucky enough to have a mall and a Kohl's close enough that if I grab something that doesn't fit, I can do returns on my lunch hour. I prefer the inconvenience of having to go back and return something to trying stuff on in the store...I don't even know why I hate it so much, I just do. I don't usually have a problem with sizing...it's pretty consistent for me, maybe because I stick to the same 2-3 stores. I'm boring like that and will sacrifice fashion for convenience, lol.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:

Seriously...it's very annoying. I am, currently, a size 12...at just under 5'5" that isn't exactly huge and yet many times I need to grab a large shirt, where I would normally fit into a medium. Where does that leave the person who is the next size or two bigger? It's just crazy.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts