VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the vet today.

I met this really really kind lady.

The vet had been giving a c-section to a dog when I got there and as it turned out this was her dog. And when I say hers, I mean she found it on the street, pregnant, soaking wet, shivering and practically starving last week. She brought it straight to the vet to check for a microchip. It didn't have one and the vet suggested that it looked homless, or at least had been for a couple of weeks. Although it was a pure bread Jack Russel so they opted for the latter. Anyway this lady rung around all the vets in this area, of which there are more then a dozen and the animal shelters, leaving her contact details. She even rang the pounds who told her to take them in (ie: death row) she said No Way was she going to take this dog in or even leave her address (which they asked for) because she wasn't going to see this dog and her pups killed.

She told me that Susie (the dog) went into labour this morning and wasn't pushing just panting so she had to have an emergency c-section and delivered 3 healthy little pups.

I thought it was such a wonderful thing this lady had done. She effectively saved the life of Susie twice, as well as the pups. She made a joke about this costing her over $300 all the time smiling and saying she couldn't wait see Susie recover and put up some posters to see if anyone recognised her, but said she was happy to keep her if she couldn't find her home.

This lady is such a wonderful person. She had happily saved this dogs life and paid dearly to do so, for a dog she didn't even know.

What a sweetheart.

I didn't ask if she was vegetarian. I wonder if she would have done the same thing for a cute pot bellied pig. Even though it makes me sad to think that she probably wouldn't have, I still think it is amazing what she did do.

She was gushing with happiness when the vet told her to come on through and see the puppies.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
That's awesome! I wish more people were so generous and caring. =) =) =)

(BTW, the chances of a purebred Jack Russell terrier facing death row are pretty slim which is probably why they wanted her. Small breeds are generally adopted out real easy. It's the black labs and rottweilers and pits that no one takes.)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

(BTW, the chances of a purebred Jack Russell terrier facing death row are pretty slim which is probably why they wanted her. Small breeds are generally adopted out real easy. It's the black labs and rottweilers and pits that no one takes.)
There's currently a lab/pitbull mix at the shelter i've just started volunteering at .. i guess the poor guy doesn't have a chance

The story about the lady caring for that JRT was heart-warming though .. nice to know that there's such kind people out there.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Actually, locally, there are more small and medium sized dogs than big dogs in shelters... cheeno is in a different state though so it may be the other way arond there...

·
Registered
878 Posts
its the same in my shelter that i work at (work i mean volunteer)

but there is always pretty big dogs and if a little dog comes even if it has a bitchy additude it will get adopted in like a week while some of the big dogs are so much nicer

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Cheeno.

When you said the part about her paying dearly to help this animal out - even though it wasn't hers - I couldn't help but think of all the pet owners out there who might have just put the dog down rather than spend the $$$ for specialized care.

This woman racked up some good karma for herself that day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.