VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years now we've eaten no red meat or poultry, though we do eat dairy, eggs and fish. Now my five-year old is ready to take the vegan plunge, and hubby and I thought "why not?" I can do without eggs, and fish is spendy anyway, but what do I do about dairy?

I've become so accustomed to using cheese, cream, milk, yogurt and butter to add richness, mouth-feel and flavor to our meals. Soy milk tastes awful to me unless it's flavored, and as a diabetic I can't handle the added sugar in flavored milk.

I'm curious about almond milk. I've heard you can make it at home, and that it can be rich enough to skim a "cream" from. Any experience with this? Any ideas for yummy dairy substitutes would be very welcomed. Also, a starter recipe for seitan. Did I spell that right?

Thanks,

Brandy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never tried almond milk. So I'm really no help
But good for you in making the decision to give up the other stuff. You've made a wise choice! Good Luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i buy almond breeze sometimes which i think is really delicious, but i don't know about making almond milk at home. one thing i would say is that i used to be a dairy addict, too, and when i first tried a lot of the dairy substitute products, including soymilk, i didn't really like them. what i did was just stop using the real products (i guess one at a time would be easiest) and then introduce the substitutes, so you aren't comparing the tastes so much. everything tastes better when you aren't expecting it to taste like something else. good luck!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Almond milk is really delicious. (And I agree, some soymilks taste like licking the floor.) So, switching to almond for drizzling over cereal or drinking plain is probably a good idea.

I always say, do not attempt to play with cheese substitutes. They all taste, well... horrible, and nothing like cheese. Experiment with tofu to add "richness" such as in lasagna.

Margarine is good. I always liked it better than real butter anyway...

·
Registered
520 Posts
there is a cookbook called "the uncheese cookbook" by joanne stepaniak. it has some pretty good cheese like recipes.. in fact, i like most of her cookbooks!

recipes include substitutes for specific cheeses, and also just cheesy-like foods... fondues, and stews, and baking..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, all! Sunday will be our first all-vegan day. I bought some rice milk, which tastes ok, but has a faint aftertaste which reminds me of the smell of play-dough. I also bought some hazelnut milk which I like better than cow milk anyway. I've been making popcorn and sprinkling with nutritional yeast when I get a real craving. I'ts very cheesy and in fact tastes more like real cheese than 'cheese flavored' popcorn does.

thanks again

brandy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts