VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who here lives in/near Chicago? Who's eaten at the Chicago Diner? For non-Chicagoans, the Chicago Diner is an all vegetarian/nearly all vegan restaurant on the near north side, which was dubbed "The hub of the Animal Rights movement of the midwest" by The Vegetarian Journal's Guide to Natural Food Restaurants.

I've only been there once, and it was pretty damn good. I got the nacho plate with seitan "chorizo", and the lentil loaf. The loaf was actually not that good, but the nachos were great, the cornmuffin great, and the samples I grabbed from other people's plates were much better than my loaf.

I'm probably going to back next month if I can make it into the city, but am looking for recommendations on what dishes are really good so I know what to try next.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I visited chicago just last november, and I did get a chance to eat at the Chicago Diner - I forgot what i got there, but it was quite good! I also got to try a couple of the cakes, which were incredibly good - I'd recommend to any one going there to make sure to save room for dessert!

Also while i was there I got to go to Blind Faith Cafe, a bit pricey, but very, very good! I had these seitan chicken fingers as an appetizer, and the marinara dipping sauce that came with them was simply the best that I have ever had in my life and i would practically kill to get the recipe for it
.. and, if i remember right, I had the Mongolian stir fry - i do recommend this dish.. Well, I must admit i wasn't too impressed with the piece of cake that i had there - the frosting was super rich and the cake itself was a bit dry, but still yummy overall.

Dangit .. I miss Chicago .. Here in the orlando area of florida, there's only one all-veg restaraunt, and just a small hand full of other vegan friendly places around.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kreeli - I've never been to that website, I'll check it out.

Michael - If you wanna make the drive we could go there sometime.

ObsidianZebra - Chicago is indeed one great place to live. The AR scene here is pretty lively, even if the environmental scene is a bit lacking. Not only that but northern Illinois has quickly become one of the most progressive spots in the country. Although the weather here sucks! It's reaching -30 windchill here tonight, and in 6 months, it'll be 110 with the humidity.

·
Banned
559 Posts
last time i was in chicago i went to Pick me Up (i think that's what it was called). AWSOME! it was totally by chance, too...i was with some friends and none of them were veggie, so i wasnt planning on eating but the other place they wanted to go to was too full (at 2 am, hm.) so we went to Pick Me Up. hot damn. i went all out and ate way too much. they have some kick ass vegan carrot cake. ohhh yeah. hopefully i'll go back in the not so far future.

my ex took me to this really sweet japanese grocery too in Mt Pleasant...i had a little too much fun there and came back with hoards of tea. yum. i want to go back.

i'll have to check out the chicago diner next time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best veggie place in Chicago is Amitabul! An "oil free" totally vegan Korean restaurant. Chicago Diner is fantastic, but the desserts totally suck. I don't know if there is a worst vegan cheesecake in the world. Can they make the cakes any drier? The Pick Me Up Cafe is a vegan's best chance to convert their non-veg friends from the dark side. They still serve carved up animals, but they have a good selection of vegan/vegetarian items as well as the best vegan desserts in Chicago.

In Chicago? Come to the next Vegan Meet Up! http://vegan.meetup.com/

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm about two hours from Chicago as well, and have been wanting to check out the Chicago Diner as well. When I went to the yearly animal rights conference in chicago last fall, the chicago diner catered all the food. Pichula, that's interesting that you didn't like their desserts, because the people I've talked to so far have said the best part of the place is their desserts. hmm... one of these days I'll check the place out for myself.

Also, Earthsave Chicago has monthly vegan potluck dinners with different animal rights speakers, 4th sunday of the month that I'd like to check out too....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I'm about two hours from Chicago as well, and have been wanting to check out the Chicago Diner as well. When I went to the yearly animal rights conference in chicago last fall, the chicago diner catered all the food. Pichula, that's interesting that you didn't like their desserts, because the people I've talked to so far have said the best part of the place is their desserts. hmm... one of these days I'll check the place out for myself.

Also, Earthsave Chicago has monthly vegan potluck dinners with different animal rights speakers, 4th sunday of the month that I'd like to check out too....
Where do you find out about these events (the monthly potlucks, and annual AR conference)? I'd like to know when these are happening in case I can make it. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kpickell :

"Pichula, that's interesting that you didn't like their desserts, because the people I've talked to so far have said the best part of the place is their desserts."

I have had people tell me that Chicago Diner makes the best desserts. I honestly don't get it. They SUCK. Their cakes, brownies, and cookies are stale and tasteless. Their cheesecakes are lumpy and rather gross. I love their food, but they should give up on their desserts. Pick Me Up Cafe makes much better desserts. It's like night and day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im from California but visit chicago often. I eat at the dinner almost everday when Im there. I love just about everything. I always get the ' chicken" cesar salad. I love the artichoke dip (always is a little different) I have had and love the rueban sandwich....the ravioli dish...the nachos....the 'bacon" burger...the 'chicken parmesean" sandwich..quesedillas...u just cant go wrong here
I also love the chocolate cake when its fresh or it can be 2 dry...also the chocolate torte is great. Another fav in Chicago is Karens Cooked its a bit more upscale in decor...the lasanga is so yummy and I have also had a great chocolate cream pie there however the dess. are usually better at the diner. Also another great find is sweet occasions ice cream parlor. They make GREAT soy ice cream and I am picky on what I like in the soy ice cream dept. Thet rotate out the flavors they have 2 during the busier months and at least one when slowers I had chocolate chip (vegan chips 2) yesterday. I really love the strawberry but ive missed that one in the rotaion for awhile. Happy eating...now Im starved headed over 2 Karens Cooked YUM!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the diner! I have found that the appetizers are usually better than the main courses, especially the nachos, vegan quesadillas, and the wings. The sandwiches are also very good, but stay away from the gyros!!

(I eat there way too often
)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts