VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for those of you with rabbits =)

I'd like to know their stories, names and personalities

And pictures, of course =D

I have two bunnies, a girl and a boy. As of now they live in separate cages, but the plan is to have them in one cage. The boy is castrated, so no worries! (Soon I'll be getting a new, big cage they can live in)

The girl, Morell (thats the norwegian name for Cherry), is a mix and I dont know how old she is. I rescued her myself from a farm close to here..She lived with a male rabbit and they had had 18 children, but none survived. She was terrified of humans but not aggresive. Of course she was pregnant when I got her, and she only got two children. Both those got great homes and I see them very often (gave them to friends who live in my street)

Morell loooooves food and she's quite cuddly. She never bites, not even when she had her babies. Shes not scared of much.

The other rabbit is a newcomer, named Leopold.

I bought Leopold from a breeder in my city. Leopold is 6 months. He was bred by the breeder then sold, but the owners were moving away so they put him up for adoption through the breeder.

Leopold is a dwarf rabbit but larger than Morell. His ears go downwards, and hes all black with tons of fur. He's a LionheadTeddy Dwarf (not sure what the name is in english)

They get along with eachother fine![attachment=4798:RIMG1126.jpg]
LL

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Cute bunny.

I love rabbits so much. We just have tippy, and she's quite a handful. So far she pretty much hates being handled, but I hope that will change over time. Who knows what kind of life she had before coming to live with us.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, Morell was crazy when I got her, but after two months I could pick her up and move her, and now I can carry her around

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I adopted Hans (black-and-white Rex- mostly black) and Franz (Dutch) in the summer of 2000. The shelter thought they were both female- but they were both male.

They're both neutered now. Hans is a bit bigger, and apparently a bit older than Franz- he was sexually mature when I adopted them but Franz wasn't. They each have their own cage, but they get along well when I get home and let them out. Franz has more of an attitude- if I've given them both a treat, Franz tries to grab Hans' anyway.

They LOVE pellets, and also vegetables and fruit- but they also eat hay and fresh-cut grass (red top, orchard grass, etc) They like dandelions, plantain, and mulberry leaves too. I watch what they eat- I don;t want them to get overweight.

Hans is more affectionate than Franz. I'll get down on the floor with them, and Hans will work on my head with that little tongue of his. They both like to be petted, but not to be picked up- so I avoid that. I don't take them out in my yard because my first rabbit Sony once was attacked by two cuterebra grubs, which the vet was able to remove fortunately.

I wish they were friends with my cat Crystal, but usually they go nosing up to her and she swats at them (I keep everyone's nails clipped). Or else she tries to push her way into the clump of fresh-cut grass I've brought them and I make her leave them alone.

I don;t know about Hans- sometimes he THUMPs on the floor and tenses up- I know that's an alarm signal for rabbits but don't know why he does that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescas View Post

I have two bunnies, a girl and a boy. As of now they live in separate cages, but the plan is to have them in one cage. The boy is castrated, so no worries! (Soon I'll be getting a new, big cage they can live in)
It is unlikely that two adult rabbits who are not BOTH altered (spayed/neutered) will get along. Even when they are both altered, you'll need to do some "bonding" or there's a good chance they will fight. I hope you have a vet experienced in spaying female rabbits. (There's a high chance for uterine cancer in unspayed females too, so that's an important reason to fix her as well.)

Bonded bunnies are great! Sometimes it's hard to get them to get along at first, though.
Some good bonding info here: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/mor...care.html#bond

I have three rabbits of my own and I foster rabbits for our local rescue (right now I have four fosters living with me). They make neat companions! My dog likes hanging out with them too. There are pictures of some of my guys at http://www.deitchley.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I don;t know about Hans- sometimes he THUMPs on the floor and tenses up- I know that's an alarm signal for rabbits but don't know why he does that.
Some rabbits also thump just to be loud, or excited, or angry, or pay-attention-to-me, or who knows what!

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/mor....html#behavior has some interesting articles on behavior, including thumping. Some ppl especially like The Language of Lagomorphs (direct link is http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had a great big bunny weighed about 9 pounds several years ago.

She was just a mixed breed that loved to snuggle.

I never let her go outside, she was an albino and I was afraid the sun might hurt her eyes.

She lived with my guinea pigs and my cat without problems at all and she never ever bit or scratched my little girl who was an infant at the time could even snuggle with her.

I was at work and came home one day and she was gone
that idiot ******* ex husband of mine had taken her little home outside with her IN it.

He said he was just going to clean the cage but then the dog started barking and she ran away.

The f*cking lieing ******* who with half a brain would take a rabbit in its cage outside to clean the cage in the yard with a large dog?

No one thats who.

I miss my bunny now

I wish I really really wish I could have anotehr one but I have far to many pets as is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have 8 rabbits and I love them all to death.

I have 6 holland lops and two tans. The hollands' names are Jade, Kairi, Bilbo, Hazel, Tiffa, and Alice, and the tans are named Flame and Laurie. They are so full of personality and they are all so crazy I can barely keep up! I would describe each of them to you but there is so much to say about each one. I'll just narrow it down, I guess.

Jade-3 years old...Playful, dominant, curious

Kairi-1 year old...Shy, flighty, hyper

Bilbo-3 years old...Lazy, huggable, easy-going

Hazel-3 years old...Outgoing, affectionate, moody

Tiffa-1 year old...Timid, loveable

Alice-1 year old...Very nosy, pushy, curious

Flame-4 years old...Very hyper, glutton, independent

Laurie-4 years old...Demanding, very loveable, affectionate, hyper.

Well, there you have it...my family.

I also have rescued many rabbits in the past and have adopted them out. I couldn't imagine living without my bunny companions!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAmy View Post

It is unlikely that two adult rabbits who are not BOTH altered (spayed/neutered) will get along. Even when they are both altered, you'll need to do some "bonding" or there's a good chance they will fight. I hope you have a vet experienced in spaying female rabbits. (There's a high chance for uterine cancer in unspayed females too, so that's an important reason to fix her as well.)

Bonded bunnies are great! Sometimes it's hard to get them to get along at first, though.
Some good bonding info here: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/mor...care.html#bond

I have three rabbits of my own and I foster rabbits for our local rescue (right now I have four fosters living with me). They make neat companions! My dog likes hanging out with them too. There are pictures of some of my guys at http://www.deitchley.com
But they do get along though
I've introduced them to eachother, and increased the time they spend together each day. They were arguing, not violent though, at first, but now they just snuggle up and lick each other..

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow you have a lot of bunnies Dark_dicentra!

I think its tons of work just with two :p

Nice names! I love hollands =D¨

And Ayrlin, I think its good he's your ex-husband now
Poor bunny, she sounded wonderful!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I really do hope that these bunnies are getting lots of out-of-cage time. They are easily litter trained, and then they can roam the house! My late, overweight rex Blackjack was litter trained, and he caused a lot less damage loose than the cat does.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes, I do have a lot of bunnies, but I have no troubles with them.

They get a LOT of outdoor time. I have an outdoor pen where they can run and excercise.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have one bunny, Gretta. She's a little difficult--she was taken away from an abusive home, pregnant, at 1 year old, and then spent around 3 years in the shelter. I think she's as happy as she can be, she likes/respects my husband, and that's about it. Me, sometimes she will talk to, sometimes she likes to randomly bite. She does have a relationship with our guinea pig--although unfortunately the one she really liked died of cancer last year.

She gets as much out time as she can, supervised (she lives in our home office) because she is very destructive.

All in all, she's part of our family, and I love her.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same with my bunnies! Morel loves to eat grass, and Leopold isnt that into it, but they get to stay on the grass MINIMUM 6 hours a day, and all day weekends. After morell dug her way out we have put a bottom in the pen, and it also has a wooden roof. My dad built it for me =)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My experience with rabbits is they seem aloof and stand-offish.

I always thought since we were both herbivores, we'd get along better...But no, cats fit me pefectly, thus bringing the dilemma of their diets so I tend to cuddle other peoples' cats.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have two bunnies, well one's my bf's but they are both living at my mum's house.They are both male english lops.Mine is black & white with beautiful butterfly markings on his nose, he's called Hugo, the other is mainly white with one or two small light grey patches, his name is Henry.They live outside in the summer but we bring them inside in winter.I love rabbits, my two are so friendly.Don't forget to get your buns vaccinated though!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Vaccinnated from what? Our vet (who is very rabbit savvy) said there is no currently approved vaccinnations for rabbits. Plus, wouldn't being a house rabbit curtail most of her risk of picking something up?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sometimes they can pick things up, or already have things. You usually don't know where they've been, or what they've been exposed to, before they come to you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Vaccinnated from what? Our vet (who is very rabbit savvy) said there is no currently approved vaccinnations for rabbits. Plus, wouldn't being a house rabbit curtail most of her risk of picking something up?
There are currently vaccines for VHD (Viral Hemorrhagic Disease)& Myxomatosis, both of which are almost always fatal.Both can also be transferred to house rabbits via other pets & humans.

Here is some info on VHD http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Rabbits/Vhdntk.html

& mxyomatosis http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/a...nding_myxo.htm

I had a pair of male rabbits who contracted myxomatosis & both had to be euthanazed as a result, so i cannot urge you more strongly to get your buns vaccinated, although i understand that vaccines aren't available in some parts of the US & Australia, although i'm unsure why that is. I'm in the UK & all rabbit owners would be advised to vaccinate by their vet.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.