VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a block party to attend on saturday, and was wondering what sorts of food items I could grill. Originaly I was thinking about Yvess good dog and some baked beans. Maybe a cole slaw. This one I kind of have to fend for myself, and I also saw riblets which are a good idea to.

Does anyone have any easy bean or other type salads that would work? Or a vegan coleslaw recipe?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Wiccanveg.... not sure if you wanna try this or not... but I take some whole onions, potatoes (cut into cubes), red and green peppers, and whatever else is laying around... and make a "shish kebob" type thing out of it to grill. you can protect it from the flames of the grill by laying down a small sheet of aluminum foil on the top rack.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Ramen Nut Salad (it has its own thread.) It's made with slaw veggies so it has that certain crunch. The omnis love it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
BTW, go with the Riblets. They are super great on a grill. Fruit salads also go over really well with everyone.

Check out the Summer 2003 issue of Veggie Life for salad recipes. They had a load of bean, grain, and vegetable picnic style salads in that issue. I'd link to them here, but they don't offer any of their recipes online. It's well worth picking up the actual mag though; unlike Vegetarian Times, the recipes are mostly vegan and not laden with fat.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how would I go about grilling the riblet, and won't the bbq sauce get everywhere since it's in the package?

·
Registered
892 Posts
coleslaw:

cabbage (green and red)

grated carrots

sunflower seeds

I use Annie's Natural ****ake Mushroom and Sesame Viniagrette

If you don't have this, you can use another vineagrette

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You might not be able to squeeze all of the BBQ sauce out of the packet, but the riblet itself is so loaded with it, you won't miss the extra. When I grilled them I just opened the package and slapped them on the grill, turning only once. They were perfect. The edges get a bit crispy and the BBQ sauce browns a bit due to the high sugar content. My omni mother just about passed out with joy. I had to stab my fish-eating husband's hand to get him away from MY riblet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a question about Riblets...is that the name of them? Or do they have a brand name? Where can you get them...what should I look for? Help anyone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts