VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every watched it?

I've loved the show since it came out for it's uniquely "nerdy" humor. References to everything from science to video games abound.

However the most recent episode that aired April 28th, well, appalled me. It featured a monkey smoking cigarettes, and it was used for humor rather than disgust like it should have been. (Note: The monkey wasn't REALLY smoking, according to the vanity card at the end - it was all CGI) But it still grosses me out that they would depict such cruelty as "funny."

Thoughts?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I can't really say it upsets me. once i found out that it wasn't really smoking i am fine with it. i can't say i personally fond it funny, but i feel that there should be humor about anything, even things that are sad in reality

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't bother you, even a little bit, that one of the characters,Amy, A scientist, has a "pet smoking monkey to whom she's giving emphysema" from her research lab in the scene, whilst the show makes jokes about it?

I just don't think things that awful and disgusting should be "humorous."

·
Registered
824 Posts
The show has been going down the drain since the second season, I stopped watching it a while back.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

It doesn't bother you, even a little bit, that one of the characters,Amy, A scientist, has a "pet smoking monkey to whom she's giving emphysema" from her research lab in the scene, whilst the show makes jokes about it?

I don't either, good thing I don't watch the show as I would find that to be appalling.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I'm a fan of the show, but I pretty much was auto turned off for the rest of the episode when they walked into Amy's apartment with the monkey. So glad the larger TV viewing demographic needs smoking monkeys to blow smoke in Sheldon's face to induce laughter> *sarcasm off*

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was obviously CGI (I got hi-def) and the monkey was trained. However, experiments in real life are bad. I see it the same way I see fake violence versus real life. I have no problem with serial killer movies, but I don't like real serial killers.

And it's my opinion that there are not enough monkeys in shows. They rock.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was obviously CGI (I got hi-def) and the monkey was trained. However, experiments in real life are bad. I see it the same way I see fake violence versus real life. I have no problem with serial killer movies, but I don't like real serial killers.

And it's my opinion that there are not enough monkeys in shows. They rock.
It's the difference between the aestheticisation of it and the negative representation of it. For example, Krusty's monkey in the Simpsons used to smoke, but you always knew that that was a sad, horrible situation. If it was played for laughs, it was laughs that made you think, not just chortle at HURR MONKEY SMOKE LIKE MAN.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

the reality bothers me, not so much that it is used on the show. i am for people making dead baby and holocaust jokes as well. people often have death as being part of comedy as dark humor. that doesn't mean that death is a fun thing or that its ok for example to kill your husband to inherit money.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I am a bigg fan of BBT and honestly fake or not I didnt like it at all......as for the BBT theory as a whole I like the show but how about more Sheldon and Penny and less of Rajs Sister who I cant stand at all.....just saying....

Peace

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
oh yes, i can't stand Priya, kick her out! I like Amy and Sheldo and the jewish guy, Wollowitz i think it was

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I am not only mad at BBT for this.....I am mad at Desperate Housewives (a fave show of mine) for two things that were on their last Sundays show.....I am a bit behind I just watched it........one of the characters Bree is dealing with Critters and shooting and bombing and poisoning them and another character Gabby was treatening her kids who were being terrors that she was gonna buy them a puppy and then kill it in front of them.....made me sick and very angry.......

Peace

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I just watch this show for Sheldon really. He has so many lines to deliver and at a fairly rapid rate, I don't know how he remembers them all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I gotta say, I love BBT, but mostly for Sheldon. He's my hero.

As for the monkey, I agree with an earlier made comment. The act itself is wrong (of making him smoke, as well as intentionally giving him a disease), but comedy, and moreso dark comedy, is sometimes one of the few ways that troublesome ideas can be shown to the public. The court jester, for example, could be more frank with the king than almost anybody else, because he made everything a joke, while still being able to comment on anything he wanted. It is a horrible idea for comedy - that is true. But if you were appalled, then lots of other people were appalled as well. My advice would be to contact CBS and tell them your thoughts, or get a petition together and send it in formally. They give the public what the public wants. If we tell them we don't want animals being abused (literally or just for fun), they'll stop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts