VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The variety of new foods I'm trying that I would have never considered when I was an omnivore.
I had pizza today with no cheese, but eggplant mushroom cilantro green peppers green onions and sesame seeds yum

·
Banned
437 Posts
I agree about the new variety of foods! I've tried so many new things since giving up meat that I'd never have tried otherwise. Love it.

Also, last week I visited a local farm with family. We were able to pet and spend time with the cows. I always liked animals, even as an omni, but I felt such a deep peace around these cows, knowing that I wasn't consuming them. (Not those specific cows specifically, obviously, but you know what I mean.) It just felt good. My conscience felt light, and I enjoyed the time there so much more than I think I would have otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Knowing that by deciding not to eat something I am preventing animals suffering and death, and also that I am helping the planet.... Plus all the new yummy food that I get to eat
and I think that being healthy is a great added bonus.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've definitely tried more new foods in the last 18 months than I've tried in my entire life. There used to be 4 spices in my cabinet....salt, pepper, cinnamon, and steak rub. LOL Now I have a large shoebox overflowing with spices!

The best part for me is the health benefits! No more GI problems (the heartburn was PAINFUL!) and I've lost a ton of weight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've found this too since becoming a vegetarian/starting veganism. Even if you try to explore new natural foods when you eat meat, you always have the subconscious thought that you have meat to fall back on, should your vegetarian meals fail, so being a veg*n helps keep you on track with finding new dishes.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I've definitely tried more new foods in the last 18 months than I've tried in my entire life. There used to be 4 spices in my cabinet....salt, pepper, cinnamon, and steak rub. LOL Now I have a large shoebox overflowing with spices!
Shoebox?

I had to buy a 6 drawer large Rubbermaid storage bin for all of my spices I've started using since going veg and re-learning how to cook! I use the larger drawers for "liquid spices" like rice vinegar, soy sauce, cooking saki, bulk spice bags I buy at Indian grocery stores, and the topmost tiny drawers for the tiny spice jars from the grocery. Heck, I even have 8 different kinds of salt!

·
Registered
92 Posts
...knowing that I'm not killing animals.

I know that I, deep down, am not a good person, but I feel so much better about myself post-veg*n

Trying new foods is awesome too, <3 tempeh & tofu, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble pre-veg*n.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Shoebox?

Heck, I even have 8 different kinds of salt!
jealous.....I want black salt, and I can buy it locally, just don't want to spend the money on it...... I have many spices and herbs too....love it!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

jealous.....I want black salt, and I can buy it locally, just don't want to spend the money on it...... I have many spices and herbs too....love it!
There's the black salt you get at Indian groceries(cheaply) that has a sulfur-egg taste to it. I'm still unsure about that one.

The other black salts are disappointing to say the least. I like them on boiled okra just to use them, but that's it. I'll probably never buy another black salt.

I use Himala salt the most because I really like it and I bought a lot of it a long while ago. But, my favorite salt of all time is Pink Murray River Salt. It's a flake. I smush the flakes up so they'll sprinkle how I like them. They definitely lend the best flavor to foods IMO!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why do you say you're not a good person pony girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyGirl View Post

...knowing that I'm not killing animals.

I know that I, deep down, am not a good person, but I feel so much better about myself post-veg*n

Trying new foods is awesome too, <3 tempeh & tofu, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble pre-veg*n.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have learned to enjoy cooking and also dropped weight and kept it off without even trying anything. Knowing I dont hurt animals to feed myself.

·
Registered
765 Posts
this may sound weird but becoming vegetarian stopping the abuse against animals also made me stop the abuse against myself, i dont self destruct anymore... which is awesome.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

why do you say you're not a good person pony girl?
Haha, that is probably a topic for the religious beliefs topic
I don't think I'm worse than the average person, but comparing me to perfect... Yeah, not there yet

@kasandra, that is so amazing that vegetarianism helped you so much!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me, all the new foods I've pushed myself to try, everything I've learnt about nutrition, and the 'positive' control it gave me. I now no longer suffer from anorexia. C:

·
Registered
566 Posts
It would definitely have to be eating guilt-free.

Plus, I've spent so much time researching nutrition and discovered a deep interest for it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
definitely new delicious foods and also a stronger relationship with animals, all of them, a guiltless relationship.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I feel less like an evil monster. Also I can eat more than my boyfriend even though he's a foot taller than me and 100 pounds heavier

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've got into cooking a lot more, which i enjoy. I do really wish when i ate meat i would have been cooking, at least then i would have had better tasting and healthier meat based dishes, instead of my crap frozen things. But yup cooking and eating healthier, and going vegetarian has led to me using more natural things, i don't use shampoo, body wash, face wash, conditioner, or commercial lotions anymore, which is better for my body, although idk if i'll stick to it forever, since my face seems to be breaking out when i never had pimples before, odd since the things i'm using are supposed to help with acne. Ok got off track there lol, and of course knowing i'm not participating in animal suffering as much. All my changes make me feel like i'm turning into a hippie lol, all that's left is i need to freaking chill out and not have so much anxiety!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I feel WAY healthier, and I feel 'pure' in some way... knowing that I prevent taking the life from other beings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts