VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My all-time favorite is thick-sliced summer tomatoes on whole wheat bread with vegenaise and black pepper. I can hardly wait for summer!

Year round, my current favorite is a TJ's masala burger with lettuce, tomato,vegenaise, avocado and chutney.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Ahhh, this is hard to say. Many are so good in different ways.

One of my favorites is from a small store near me. It is called a Soy Boy. They take some thick sliced 9 grain whole wheat bread and add sliced smoked tofu (sliced thin like lunch meat). Then they add lettuce, red onion, tomato and vegenaise. I get that fairly often when I'm near that store.

Then there was a vegan Reuben from a restaurant in Asheville, NC. They used tempeh for the meat and added some other stuff (I think it was sauerkraut and vegan Thousand Island, but I'm not sure). It was also awesome.

Lastly, there's one from Panera Bread that's good. It's called the Mediterranean Veggie. With a little modification, it can be made vegan, which is what I do. It just has some veggies, some kind of basil-based spread and some really good tasting bread. The secret ingredient for this sandwich is what they call Peppadew peppers. They have some kind of indescribably good flavor.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I have two:

Roasted garlic hummus and guacamole spread on whole grain bread with cucumbers, sprouts, lettuce, etc.

AND

The signature veggie from Quizno's (veganized) It has black olives, red onions, guacamole, lettuce, thinly sliced mushrooms, and italian dressing. I just get it without the cheese or tomato.

Wait! I actually have three! I also love Tofurky hickory smoked deli slices with lettuce and pickle and Vegenaise on whole grain bread

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Ahhh, this is hard to say. Many are so good in different ways.

One of my favorites is from a small store near me. It is called a Soy Boy. They take some thick sliced 9 grain whole wheat bread and add sliced smoked tofu (sliced thin like lunch meat). Then they add lettuce, red onion, tomato and vegenaise. I get that fairly often when I'm near that store.

Then there was a vegan Reuben from a restaurant in Asheville, NC. They used tempeh for the meat and added some other stuff (I think it was sauerkraut and vegan Thousand Island, but I'm not sure). It was also awesome.

Lastly, there's one from Panera Bread that's good. It's called the Mediterranean Veggie. With a little modification, it can be made vegan, which is what I do. It just has some veggies, some kind of basil-based spread and some really good tasting bread. The secret ingredient for this sandwich is what they call Peppadew peppers. They have some kind of indescribably good flavor.
Agreed on the Panera Bread Mediterranean sandwich!
I have a hard time picking a favorite, but there's this diner in New Jersey that does a seitan, pepper and onion sandwich, all of it grilled, and it's to die for. They have several vegan items on the menu, but I always get that sandwich because it's just too good.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Baked tofu, lettuce, tomato, and avocado on whole grain bread or a falafel wrap with sprouts, lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado with tahini dressing.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
It is actually a non-vegan one.
Brie and avocado on granary bread. I wish they would make a vegan Brie......

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Marinated portobello mushroom on thick lightly toasted bread.
Last night I toasted ciabatta bread and made a sandwich with Torfurkey, black olives, pepperoncini, etc

I used to adore BLTs...I'll have to try it with Morningstar bacon or something. When I was little and we would have BLTs for dinner I would eat FOUR of them- and I was a tiny kid!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Balsamic glazed tofu (this stuff is sinful on its own) on good bread with vegenaise, banana peppers or pepperoncini, greens (I like baby spinach), avocado slices, red onion and optional cheez slice or spread. When possible, I order it at my favorite restaurant but I've recently learned how to make it myself because I'm rarely able to go out to eat.

Here's the recipe I use for the balsamic tofu: http://theveganfoodie.wordpress.com/...c-glazed-tofu/

I let it marinade for 24 hours and flip it about halfway through.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Another good one I'm eating right now: The Big Bohemian. Vege pate, hummus, artichoke and lettuce on a ciabatta bun. Yum!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
lettuce, tomato, cuc, peppercini, roasted red pepper, artichoke, green pepper, pickle, black and or green olives, carrot and any other veggie besided onion.....w/yellow and deli mustard smothered on it.....

Peace

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Another good one I'm eating right now: The Big Bohemian. Vege pate, hummus, artichoke and lettuce on a ciabatta bun. Yum!
That sounds delish!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I really love a whole heap of anti-pasto stuff inside a lightly toasted Foccacia or Turkish bread. But sometimes just a simple "cheatin' ham" and pickle sandwich on wholemeal bread will do it for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The best sandwich I ever ate was a tofu scramble and cheezy sauce sandwich.

First, make the Scrambled Tofu from Vegan with a Vengeance. Then, make the Cheezy Sauce from Veganomicon or Vegan Brunch (basically, the same recipe). Spread 2 slices of bread with vegan margarine. Put one slice, margarine side down, in a heated frying pan put your Scrambled Tofu on top of that. Top that with the Cheezy Sauce. Put other slice of bread on top, margarine side up. Fry in pan, pressing sandwich down a little, until bread is toasted. Flip sandwich and do the same on the other side. Yum.

It's the perfect sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The recipes will make enough for several sandwiches.

Scrambled Tofu
(I leave out the carrot and use lemon juice instead of lime cuz that's how it's written in Vegan with a Vengeance.)

Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce (It's under the Tempeh Helper recipe and is basically the same as the one in Veganomicon except it's missing the pinch of thyme.)

You can also make this sandwich in a George Foreman type grill and it gets the bread nice and toasty. The grill marks make the sandwich look nicer, in my opinion. Just butter the bread as usual, assemble the sandwich, and pop it in the grill for 10-15 min.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

That sounds delish!
It really is, I had to get another one today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I really love a whole heap of anti-pasto stuff inside a lightly toasted Foccacia or Turkish bread. But sometimes just a simple "cheatin' ham" and pickle sandwich on wholemeal bread will do it for me.
That sounds amazing, thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Grilled Daiya mozzarella with roasted tomatoes and olives.
Grilled Daiya is just perfect to me, it mimics the grilled cheese with Kraft singles I used to have as a kid. Roasted tomatoes and olives are definitely going in my next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

The best sandwich I ever ate was a tofu scramble and cheezy sauce sandwich.

First, make the Scrambled Tofu from Vegan with a Vengeance. Then, make the Cheezy Sauce from Veganomicon or Vegan Brunch (basically, the same recipe). Spread 2 slices of bread with vegan margarine. Put one slice, margarine side down, in a heated frying pan put your Scrambled Tofu on top of that. Top that with the Cheezy Sauce. Put other slice of bread on top, margarine side up. Fry in pan, pressing sandwich down a little, until bread is toasted. Flip sandwich and do the same on the other side. Yum.

It's the perfect sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The recipes will make enough for several sandwiches.

Scrambled Tofu
(I leave out the carrot and use lemon juice instead of lime cuz that's how it's written in Vegan with a Vengeance.)

Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce (It's under the Tempeh Helper recipe and is basically the same as the one in Veganomicon except it's missing the pinch of thyme.)

You can also make this sandwich in a George Foreman type grill and it gets the bread nice and toasty. The grill marks make the sandwich look nicer, in my opinion. Just butter the bread as usual, assemble the sandwich, and pop it in the grill for 10-15 min.
Oh wow, I'm making that too!!! I love this thread

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
PBJ on homemade wheat bread.....any veggie sammie with some fake meats and veggies on homemade bread.

Peace

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Last summer I found this Middle Eastern restuarant while traveling that had the most amazing falafel/hummus pita sandwich I've ever had. The falafel was so delicate and "melted in your mouth". It was nowhere near hard, dry, greasy and overfried like some places. The owner informed me that his "secret" was to steam the falafels and then very lightly fry them. The steaming method allows the middle of the falafels to remain moist and flavorful after being fried. They were seriously little golden nuggets of deliciousness.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts