1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground red chili flakes

1/2 cup chopped peanuts

2 cups bean sprouts

3 green onions, sliced

1 lime, cut into wedges

*Tamarind liquid = 1 Tbsp tamarind concentrate + 2 Tbsp water

Directions

Place the dried noodles in hot water for 15 - 20 minutes. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix the stock, tamarind, hoisin, sugar, soy sauce, and salt. Set aside.

Pour about 1/4" veggie oil in a skillet. Place over medium heat until a bit of tofu added to the pan sizzles at once. Line a plate with paper towels and place near the stove. When the oil is ready, add the tofu in small batches to discourage them from sticking together. Fry, turning to cook evenly, until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes each side. Using a slotted spoon, remove from oil and transfer to paper-lined plate.

When the noodles are limp and white, drain & set aside. (they will still be stiff)

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the garlic and toss until golden. Add the egg and tilt the pan so it coats the surface in a thin sheet. As soon as it is opaque and beginning to set, scramble it well and transfer it to a serving platter.

Add 2 more Tablespoons oil to the pan and heat for 30 seconds. Add the softened noodles and, using a spatula, spread and pull the noodles into a thin layer covering the surface of the pan. Then scrape them down into a clump again and gently turn them over.

Add stock mixture and toss well. Hook loops of noodles with the edge of your spatula and pull them up the sides, spreading them out into a layer again. Repeat this process several times as the stiff noodles soften and curl. Add the chili flakes and about half of the peanuts and turn the noodles a few more times.

Set aside a little less than half the bean sprouts for garnish. Add the rest to the pan along with the garlic/egg and green onions. Toss well & cook until the sprouts wilt. Add the tofu and toss for 1 - 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and squeeze the lime wedges over the top. Garnish with remaining bean sprouts, peanuts and some cilantro. Serve.

** we did this without the egg. We also added chopped snow peas at the same time we added the green onions. YUMMY! Tamarind concentrate can be purchased at an Asian or Indian grocery store.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks, Amy, your recipe looks great!

Kreeli -- I've always substituted lime juice or rice vinegar for tamarind in paad thai and it tastes fine to me (possibly because I've never tried it with tamarind
I've also seen a lot of recipes that use ketchup as a substitute, but I've never tried it since I never seem to have any ketchup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.