VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seat of the soul is in the sole.

Barefooters are people who refuse to believe that the feet we are born with are somehow defective, needing coddling and cushioning. We recognize that, on the contrary, shoes are bad for our locomotive health. The incidence of flat-footedness among the nations of the shod, and the absence of this structural defect in unshod nations, speaks for itself. Shoes are bad.

Why shoes are bad:

1. It causes flat-footedness in adolescents (and adults).

2. It reduces your ability to receive information when the load being placed on your feet is too great, thus leading to injury.

3. It drastically changes your walking gait, preventing the tendon and calf muscles from providing propulsion and thus forcing other muscles in the knees, thigh muscles, hips and trunk to take up the slack. This causes anatomical reinforcement in these areas which then is the cause pain in the legs, backs, and shoulders as these regions are being over-strained by being put to use in ways they were not meant to be used.

4. It silences one of the bodies most sensitive tactile organs, the sole, preventing one from enjoying the wet, waxy texture of a dewy lawn; the brittle, sharp crunch of autumn leaves, or sink in the thick, fecund, loamy humus of a recently tilled garden.

I have personally experienced #3. When winter came, I was forced to start wearing shoes again. My legs, knees, back and shoulder had to readjust. The first week was torture. I was constantly reminded of the unnaturalness of the shod life by running cramps in my thighs and hips. Its just not natural. Your thighs, hips, back and shoulders aren't meant to accomplish work meant for your calves and arches.

Be healthy. Go barefoot.

With Spring coming, I thought I would start this thread as a place where other barefooters can come to talk, discuss barefoot topics and post stories about the pleasures of barefoot hiking. You needn't be a committed barefooter, anyone who enjoys keeping the shoes off and letting their feet breathe, whether just in the house or during the occasional walk in the park, is welcome.

For those who are committed barefooters, do you go barefoot in businesses, such as grocery stores, public buildings, schools, etc? What kind of reaction do you get? What do you do during winter? If you do use shoes during winter, when do you usually start going barefoot again? How thick is your sole leather? How long have you been living life day to day habitually barefoot?

Looking forward to meeting other barefooters!

I will end this post with these beautiful words from Barbara Holland:
Quote:
Maybe the whole world secretly understands that free feet produce a different, more philosophical, relaxed, and unbusinesslike mindset. Without shoes, our ambitions would fade away, wolfish trade practices seem too much trouble, international frictions look foolish. Armies would curl up to take a nap. Nobody would get any serious work done and the world would go straight to hell.

Considered in this light, going barefoot is almost as much a vice as a pleasure. Subversive. Counterproductive, like smoking pot. Which isn't likely to stop us two out of five who revel in it.

Yes, Mother, some of the time our feet are cold. And yes, we do run the risk of stepping on bits of broken glass in the house and, outside, bees in the clover. As they say in the Pentagon, it's an acceptable risk. Highly acceptable.
http://www.barefooters.org/key-works/endangered.html

Some resources:

The Barefoot Bible: http://www.bhthom.org/hikertxt.htm
Society for Barefoot Living: http://www.barefooters.org/

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The only reason I wear shoes in general (besides the fact that heels are adorable) is because it's illegal to go barefoot everywhere.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I'm typing this with my toes!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
824 Posts
I actually have some martial arts shoes that are so thin soled that it's like being barefoot without the fear of cutting my foot on broken glass (high probabilty here!)
I do love the feeling of bare feet in warm grass though. So screw you Rotoshave, you've just exacerbated my recent cravings for camping

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

So screw you Rotoshave, you've just exacerbated my recent cravings for camping
I'm sorry!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:

I actually have some martial arts shoes that are so thin soled that it's like being barefoot without the fear of cutting my foot on broken glass (high probabilty here!)
because of your thread I gave in and ordered some earlier today : p

But yeah I WISH i could be barefoot all the time. I appreciate some big winter boots when its cold, but my feet need to be freee! I have tried walking barefoot outside before and didnt last long. its one thing going to the shop opposite my house or round the back, but walking on tarmac gravel etc can get sore quickly.

I hate when people say to me "you wear sandals so much, arent you scared your feet will get really wide?". Uuuuuh ever figured feet are MEANT to be that shape?

roll on summer so the sandals can come out

·
Registered
824 Posts
Haha, they're really comfortable, enjoy them when they arrive. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, but then again I'm used to steel toecapped vegan 'Doc Martens,' so the weight difference is considerable!

Not big on sandals though, I find them uncomfortable to wear D:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Haha, they're really comfortable, enjoy them when they arrive. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, but then again I'm used to steel toecapped vegan 'Doc Martens,' so the weight difference is considerable!

Not big on sandals though, I find them uncomfortable to wear D:
What are they made of? are they light shoes?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for winter:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

What are they made of? are they light shoes?
The martial arts shoes are made from canvas and soft rubber. Very lightweight.

I've heard really good things about those foot shoes!

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Walking barefoot is fine and all, until you walk into the wrong pile of dirt and get hookworm.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i am barefoot at home. walking barefoot outside right now would freeze my toes off and make me sick

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have foot problems and I don't like my feet to be dirty so I wear house shoes or flip flops at home. I used to go barefoot a lot but rarely do these days and I have a lot less foot, leg, and back pain because of it. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I can't do it. I need something on my feet at all times. I like my feet covered. I wear socks/slippers or socks/shoes around the house and always shoes when I'm outside. I don't even like taking off my shoes at other people's houses. Sometimes I'll wear flip flops around the house during the summer but only on rare occasions. I could never walk around in public places without shoes or even outside. I wouldn't want my feet to get dirty or to step in something nasty or harmful.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Walking barefoot is fine and all, until you walk into the wrong pile of dirt and get hookworm.
Maybe if you live in Florida or southern Cali; but here those worms can't survive the winter freeze.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I'm always barefoot (but not pregnant) at home, but outside my house, there are things like extreme heat on the concrete pavements and dirt on the ground to consider before I go skipping around with naked tooties.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
hhhmmmm. i wear flops all the time (florida) but i don't think i'd walk around barefoot outside our house. i don't like dirty feet or stepping in other peoples spit, etc.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Or step on that broken glass hidden in the grass. Tetanus shot anyone?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts