VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months now, and last month I opted to go vegetarian with intentions to transition to veganism within the next year or so. He's been super supportive, but I try not to talk about it too much because I don't want to make him feel judged or think I've changed.

A few nights ago we were heading over to a friend's for movie night. He insisted on stopping on the way to pick up a vegetarian pizza and some frozen chocolate dipped bananas to make sure I'd have something to eat. (<3!) When we got back to the car, he was acting a bit weird trying to get me to look at the box of frozen bananas, until he finally pointed out what he was getting at... He was excited to show me that the frozen treats he picked out for me were COMPLETELY VEGAN!

As we were riding in the car after that, he started talking about veganism (without me prompting him) and saying that, honestly, he agreed with me 100% on the health, environmental, and ethical reasons for being vegan. He even went so far to say that he doesn't think, biologically, humans are meant to eat meat, and that he'd love to watch Earthlings with me sometime.

Of course, he concluded this with "The only reason I'm not a vegetarian is... well, I guess I'm just being lazy."

Nevertheless, boy was I excited to hear him say that! <3 I won't be pressuring him too much as I get back my footing as a vegetarian, but its amazing to see that just by being around and cooking him a few vegan meals, my presence has already had a tremendous affect on his awareness.

I think I see the veg*n boyfriend I've always wanted in my future...

I'd love to hear more stories about SO's being super gracious/accommodating/understanding about veg*nism---bonus points if it ends with them joining us!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My husband won my heart on our fist date by cooking me a vegan meal. Neither of us were vegan at the time. I was lact-ovo vegand he was pescatarian. We went vegan after being married for a bit

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
On our first date I was vegetarian transitioning to vegan, and my omni boyfriend cooked me a vegan dahl. He's not the best cook but it was a lovely date. He is generally understanding of my choices and recently even said he wants to eat less meat, though doesn't want to give it up entirely. He is making great steps, small as they may be. =]

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
When me and my boyfriend started dating, he told his mum I was a vegetarian and made sure there was plenty of food I could eat at his place. He learnt how to label-read so he could check foods for me, looked up things about veg*n beers, got apps on his iPhone with lists of ingredients and veg-friendly restaurants... when I went vegan, he was super-supportive, and went through all the same stuff for me. He's also started doing meat-free mondays, and proudly points out to me whenever he goes a whole day without meat/animal products. He was up last weekend, and didn't eat meat the whole time. He also didn't buy any cheese/milk to keep in the house.

I don't know if he'll ever make the switch, but he's been super supportive so far

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm quite lucky to have a supportive partner

We've been together for 5 1/2 years, and when we got together I was an omni. I decided to go veggie a couple of years in, and although he wasn't really prepared to give up meat, he got on board and all our meals became veggie. Now that I'm vegan (1 week today- yay me!
) all our meals are vegan too. He actually enjoys the challenge of creating vegan food that tastes great. I think he was a chef in a past life or something! Of course I cook as well, but there's no way I'm cooking meat. He does still eat it, but no where near as much as he used to.

I have put him through a lot in our relationship, and he has always been supportive and respectful. Of course I would love it if he became vegan... but I know how lucky I am to have someone like him, and while nobody's perfect, he is damn close!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My husband is vegan. He was raised in a small town hunting and fishing and his parents raised animals to eat them and all sorts of stuff. When I went vegetarian he was supportive but said he'd never go veg himself. He still ate meat when he ate out but he was fine with having a vegan kitchen (when I went veg I was transitioning to veganism) and eventually he stopped eating meat out also. Winter of 2009 he was on a trip and went out to dinner and decided to have something with fish in it. He felt so guilty that he couldn't enjoy his meal at all and he said he would never do that again. Then last summer he saw the Mercy for Animals dairy video at Conklin farms where the calves and their moms where being punched and stomped on and rammed with pitchforks. He was already eating vegan a lot and didn't buy anything with animal products in it or any sort of clothing from an animal, but he would still ocassionally eat cheese out somewhere. Well, two days after that video he was driving through Oregon and he passed a truck full of calves that he said looked really really young like maybe a couple days old if that. So they were most likely veal calves. He has never touched dairy since then. We have rescued chickens and the idea of eating eggs is completely repulsive to him now also. I'm really thankful that we share the same values when it comes to ethics regarding speciesism and exploitation of others.

He has come a long ways from his background of hunting and fishing. I'm really proud of him.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
My boyfriend is lacto-vegetarian. He ate meat when growing up but nowhere near the amount that a Westerner would and his diet has always been plant-based, but he didn't go vegetarian until he started to take spirituality more seriously. He also spends his days looking after the cows with me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts