VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going for Thai food on Friday and just curious if anyone has any suggestions? I don't eat dairy or eggs and noticed Pad Thai is made with egg.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

I am going for Thai food on Friday and just curious if anyone has any suggestions? I don't eat dairy or eggs and noticed Pad Thai is made with egg.
You can order it without the eggs. Just specify no dairy, no fish, no eggs. It all depends on the restaurant but a lot of curries and other Thai dishes can be easily veganized. Have you already looked at the restaurant's menu?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Just be careful--every Thai place we' ve ever tried they used fish sauce (and it wasn't mentioned on the menu) so we had to specifically say "no fish sauce"

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Curries are most often made w coconut milk and can be a good choice

There is usually a mixed veggie stir fry

Some soups may be safe too

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I did look at the menu and it seems they have a lot of vegetarian options, but I thought I would ask others so that I came prepared. The Pad Thai sounds really good and I will see if I can get it with out eggs.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My daughter gets pad Thai with tofu and extra vegetables and it's wonderful.

There's often an eggplant in basil sauce on the menu - it's usually very good, and a bit spicy. Yeah, the curries are divine, but you do have to ask about the fish sauce. One restaurant nearby uses fish sauce in it's red curry, but not in the green.

·
Registered
25 Posts
eggplaaaaaaaaaaant.....get eggplant

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

There's often an eggplant in basil sauce on the menu - it's usually very good, and a bit spicy. Yeah, the curries are divine, but you do have to ask about the fish sauce..
I think this is called Pad Phed (or pad phet) at most restaurants. It is my favorite thai dish. (and I don't even like eggplant in general)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that sounds good. They have something called Yen Ta Fo Noodles, which is rice noddles with spinach tofu in spicy tomato broth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love Thai food, when I go to my local restaurant, I simply ask for no fish sauce in any of the curry's, then I'll get mixed veg green curry, maybe a tofu + Mixed veg massamun (a coconut kinda curry with potatoes and cashews), steamed jasmine rice and of course the legendary pad Thai with tofu and veggies - hold the egg - hold the fish sauce.

I have only been a vegan for around 12 weeks now, and I assure you, having eaten Thai food in most parts of Thailand you are not missing out on any of the flavour by eating it vegan, it is a great cuisine!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You know.. I always see eggplant and basil on menus at Asian restaurants, eye it at length and pick something else. Sounds like I am really missing out and it's worth a shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts