VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing actually that even after being vegetarian for 2.5 years I've avoided trying new foods, because I always thought they were more expensive, but TVP is actually quite cheap! I bought some Bob's Red Mill TVP at the store recently and look forward to trying it out. Does anyone have a good recipe for tacos, or other uses for it? Does one cup of TVP = approximately one pound of 'meat'? Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
basically, I guess......I remember asking a similar question onhere when I first went veg, about how much beans would equal a pound of meat......kind of funny looking back now!
always use some soy sauce in the water you cook it in, because TVP by itself is rather yucky!

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
If you rinse the TVP in a fine mesh strainer before you reconstitute it (and only rinse what you're using right away!), it helps with that weirdish taste. I generally don't bother rinsing, because I tend to use a lot of seasonings anyway.

I reconstitute it to the point where it still needs to absorb some liquid, and then I use it in whatever recipe I'm making. That way, it absorbs more of the flavors of the recipe. When I reconstitute, I use veggie boullion, or a veg *beef* or *chicken* powdered boullion.

A really easy thing to do with it is make Sloopy Joes. Reconstitute with some veggie broth or boullion, then add either a jar of Not-So-Sloppy Joe or your own homemade Sloppy Joe sauce.

I also make *meatloaf*. The secret to maing real meatloaf flavored *meatloaf* is to use the meatloaf flavoring packets (some of them are vegan.) I reconstitute the TVP with beef flavored veg boullion powder (the Frontier spices version is good), add sauteed onions, a bit of mustard, parsley, and other spices to taste. (Use whatever you're used to in meatloaf.) Then I mix it with some vital wheat gluten to bind and also provide a meatier texture, top it with ketchup, and bake it. The leftovers make really nice sandwiches.

There is another thread about TVP lower on this page in which someone linked to a recipe for sauteeing TVP like ground beef. I haven't tried that, but it looks as though it work well for tacos, with the addition of taco seasonings,

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
You're welcome! I also use it to make stuffed tomatoes in the summer, when I have tomatoes, and stuffed green peppers. For those, I use ground flaxseed whipped with water as a binder, instead of the vital wheat gluten.

The nice thing is that, unlike when mixing ground beef, one can taste it periodically as one is mixing in seasonings, and decide whether to add more of something.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to try making tacos with the TVP tonight since from what I've read here it works best with spicy dishes. I think I'll add the taco seasoning to the hot water I use to rehydrate the TVP and maybe it will soak up the flavor that way.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
When I reconstitute I simply pour over boiling water and then I strain it in a wire mesh strainer, pushing down to squeeze out the extra liquid. That way it absorbs more flavors, oils, ect. And I actually like the distinctive flavor of tvp.

I usually just add it to burgers and chili, but some of the suggestions here sound good.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Several of you have mentioned straining the TVP but it's so fine don't you lose a lot? Maybe I got a bag that's been knocked about because the stuff at the bottom is all crushed up like flour. Anyway, I got lazy last night and didn't make my tacos so I'm making them today.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Surely you can get TVP chunks in the US? That's what I use anyway, but it's mainly for the high protein content which I use for muscle building.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a can of TVP that I bought and year ago and for some reason have been too intimidated to try to make it. I think I'll just go dig it out of the pantry and see what I can do.....

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Several of you have mentioned straining the TVP but it's so fine don't you lose a lot? Maybe I got a bag that's been knocked about because the stuff at the bottom is all crushed up like flour. Anyway, I got lazy last night and didn't make my tacos so I'm making them today.
Eh, I don't usually rinsing it, and I get by without draining it, because I add the last of the liquid a bit at a time, to ensure it still has the ability to soak up some of whatever liquid(s) I'm using in the recipe.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Digger, yes Bob's Red Mill TVP has smallish pieces. When you get down to the bottom of the bag, you will have a lot of TVP dust. I have only ever used it in making chili and it's excellent for that. It seems to swell up to about twice its size. About 1/3-1/2 of a cup of dry TVP does good for a decent sized pot of chili (about 2 cans of beans, 2 cans of tomatoes).

In the past, I have seen TVP chunks in the bins at health food stores. I haven't looked for it lately. Alternatively, you can order chunk TVP from websites.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the tacos turned out great!

I'm not sure I liked them any better than simply using refried beans for 'meat' like I usually do but it was fun playing with something new. I may have used a little too much water as the texture was a bit like overcooked rice, but the taste was good, in fact I was eating TVP by the spoonful out of the pan.
I took PJ's suggestion and added a little soy sauce while rehydrating, then sauteed the TVP in oil along with onions, peppers, and taco seasoning just like I would do with ground beef. All in all a pleasant culinary experience.

Sleepydvdr I'll definitely try it in chili next! I'm not sure if there's much difference in flavor among the various brands, but Bob's Red Mill is what they sell at my local supermarket and the price is reasonable (2.50 a bag) so I think I'll just stick with that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get vegan taco seasoning and add it to the re-hydrated TVP plus a little bit of water, a teaspoon or so, on a skillet and let it cook so the TVP absorbs the flavours. I only need to add a little bit of the taco seasoning since I only cook for myself. One packet usually last me 3-5 taco meals. It tastes just like what I remember tacos taste like, with some daiya or sour supreme, and tomatoes and lettuce. Yum! Very easy and quick too since cooking with meat would take a bit longer to cook. Avocados are great creamy substitute on tacos as well.

TVP is great for a "meat" sauce spaghetti sauce, and peaceloaf, or meatballs or burgers, as long as you use the right seasonings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use veggie broth and taco seasoning to reconstitute it and ten mix wit black beans and other veggies for a taco filling. My kids love it and will readily eat anything I make with TVP in place a hamburger...which is another way I use it often

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Some sources indicate that "TVP is a registered trademark of Archer-Daniels-Midland Company." So saying TVP may be like saying Xerox instead of photocopy.

It's not clear what the "generic" name is--possibly, defatted soy flour.

If you do a search at http://www.recipesource.com/
for recipes using TVP as an ingredient, you will find 109 recipes--not all are vegetarian or vegan, though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
American Vegan Kitchen has a bunch of great TVP recipes. There's a shepherd's pie type thing that uses tater tots instead of mashed potatoes that's insanely awesome.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really getting into the TVP thing now. Last night I made sloppy joes and it turned out fantastic. Quick too! Used Manwich sauce and added lots of diced green peppers and onions to give it some chunkiness. Had some corn on the cob for a side dish.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I made some chili with TVP. Made exactly like I did with ground beef in my meat eating days but added a few extra beans. Turned out very yummy. I have Honeyville Farms brand. Is there one that's better? Never tried any others.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts