VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I volunteer at the wildlife rehab center where the fawn was initially brought and where most of the video was shot. Although we don't name the animals, this fawn became something of a celebrity and everybody called her Bambi. She did very well here, and on Sunday I drove her out to the rehab facility where she'll be raised until she's ready to return to the wild.

Here are a couple of photos of her:

Attachment 15943 Attachment 15942

There are 40+ fawns in the rehab facility where I took Bambi, most of them there because of the severe drought conditions in Texas this spring. The fawns stay at the facility until they're about 4 months old. At that point, they're pretty much eating on their own and ready to be returned to the wild.

Here's a photo from one of the pens:
Attachment 15944

In the photo above, these are the youngest fawns; they're just learning to feed from the bottles on their own, but they still get hand fed, too. (Bambi isn't in this photograph; she won't be ready for this pen for a couple of weeks or so.)

Their rehab facility is pretty impressive, and they are very well equipped and experienced. Bambi is definitely in very good hands.
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! Amazing pictures! Thanks so much for sharing this. You all are heroes in my book. Do you have a facebook page? I'd love to post these pics .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's the link to the Facebook page. There are lots of photos of the various animals that are brought in, plus a few more of Bambi.

I volunteer there once, sometimes twice, a week. I find it fascinating to see these animals up close. There are a number of raptors in right now, and they are every bit a fierce as they look. I was very surprised at how large a pelican really is but even more surprised by how large its bill is - it's like a sword. But not everything is rose petals - the water fowl eat fish; and the smell of dead (or biologically processed) fish should be enough to turn any pescetarian into a veg*n.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What an amazing experience, and yes, the smell of dead fish is gag inducing! Thanks for being an angel to these guys. I'm going to check out the page right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts