VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a set of volumes of books with short stories in them called The Books of Blood by Clive Barker.

In volume 2 there's a story called Dread and, while vegetarianism isn't the theme, it does play a part in it.

Click the link below to read it (I guess I should put some sort of warning..... there's swearing and some people may find parts gross).

Dread. (160KB HTML)

ETA: It's about 12,500 words. You could just search for the word "vegetarian" and read from there until the end of the "Test".

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I haven't read that since I was in high school, before I went veg. It's weird to read it now, it has a whole new feel to it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Another story about a woman being abused and apparently not really being that bothered by it. I only read from the part where he starts talking about his experiment. I rather disliked it.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
So the "test" is would we eat meat if we were starving, locked in a room, and no other food is available?

What constitutes passing the "test"?

Eating the meat and living?

or

Not eating the meat and dying (or going insane from hunger)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The focus though is on Quaid. You could replace any of the genders and phobias in the short story with something else but the conclusion to it would be the same. Forcing a girl to eat rancid meat and psychologically destroying a young guy by recreating a past fear is morbid (the former even more so for us than most other people) but we have 3 different time sets for the phobias: past (Steve), present (Cheryl) and future (Quaid). It's very unpleasent reading but strangely gripping and I really liked the imagery.

I dunno, I just love a good psychological story. When it came to Steve's turn to face his fears I really felt disorientated and not entirely sure as to what was going on. The story follows him in third person so that was effective, climaxing with a nice (but expected) 'what the ****' ending.

I could be completely wrong though

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are some great stories in The Books of Blood. Particularly In the hills, the cities and The midnight meat train (which doesn't really have a veg theme, but could be seen to depending on what thoughts it provokes..... all I know is that for me I was scared of catching trains at night after reading it).

I've bought the whole set 3 times; first time my brother's mate borrowed it then moved. Second time a mate of mine borrowed it and lost it. Third time I lost it.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I read all the Books of Blood as a teen. I reread volume 2 and 3 last year.. now I need the first one.

Yeah.. that story you posted was a good one. *shivers*

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
>>It startled me," said Quaid, "how suddenly she gave in.<<

Cheryl had the choice between dying or survival. The choice didn´t become better with time. So she could have made the choice right from the beginning and eat the meat. It wouldn´t have been an unethical choice. Unethical would have been the choice between meat and bread, but she didn´t have this choice. She could have waited longer. After two weeks the meat would have been rotten away; Quaid could have supplied a fresh piece of meat and she had the same choice again.

About 20 years ago a plane crashed high up in the Andes (somewhere in between Chile and Argentina), on board were members of a soccer team. Some survived the crash. A couple of days later, when they knew help wouldn´t come, they dicided to eat their dead friends. They survived.

Omnivores often tell us about Eskimo or other people in extreme situations, who eat meat to survive. We aren´t in such a situation, we have choices. We don´t have to kill in order to survive. Actually the hunger (or I´d rather say the lust) for meat is killing the ecology of our planet. With our ethical choice of what we eat, we can make a difference, we can set an example, if only for the person sitting next to us at a meal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think the story was meant to be a statement about vegetarianism in any way. It was pretty good though.

I would've asked for new meat if I were in that woman's place when she decided to eat the meat.

rigamrole

1 - 12 of 12 Posts