VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board.

I don't know what is happening to me. I have been a vegetarian for 4 years. I recently switched to a vegan diet. All of a sudden I have been craving meat. It's beyond a craving, I really can't explain it. I have never had this happen before. I never

cared for meat, and now I crave the most disgusting things. Has anyone ever been through this? This is really making me feel guilty as hell, because I love animals so much. I hate the meat industry with a passion and I know that I don't want to contribute to animal suffering. Please help!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can you give us a little more information about yourself? Age, etc and also provide a list of what you eat in a day.

It is possible that you're craving something like meat (protein, heavy foods, long-digesting) and not the actual meat itself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a 25 year old female. I am not as active as I used to be. In a day my menu goes something like this.

Morning

Soy Latte

1 serving of Scrambled tofu with organic hashbrowns cooked w/o oil

1 cup strawberries

Snack

Raw veggies/hummus

Lunch

1/2 sandwich with soy deli meat soy cheese and mustard

Thai Noodle bowl

1 cup Soy milk

small tangerine

Dinner

Gardenburger Riblet

1 cup ofGreen Beans

Mango

1/2 cup soy milk

Snack

popcorn or 1/2 peanut butter and banana sandwich

** I should also add that I am recovering from a ED and I am trying to lose weight (the right way).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can think of 2 reasons you're craving the meat:

1. You just have a craving for it. Nothing to feel guilty about. I've had cravings to choke people to death. It doesn't mean I'm going to do it, not do I feel guilty about it.

2. You don't seem to have what I'd call "heavy" foods in your diet. No nuts, no oils, no beans/lentils. I'd be craving meat, too.

Being a vegan, digestive wise, is a little different then being an lacto-ovo and a huge difference then being an omni. Dairy, eggs, and meat are heavier foods, that take longer for your body to digest. They allow you to feel fuller longer.

When people transition to lacto-ovo vegetarianism, they often eat more cheese/eggs then before, to make up for that empty feeling/hunger.

When you're vegan, you have to rely on heavy protein foods (lentils, beans, tofus) to fill that gap. But also, things like nuts and seeds become vital. Not only do they help provide many of the nutritents you need, but their fat and protein count allow them to stay in your stomach longer and stave off cravings.

Do you follow what I'm saying?

As a side note...Have you talked with a doctor or someone weight knowledgeable to ensure that you need to lose weight?

Also, squeezing more vegetables and fruits into your diet, along with some fats and a tad more protein (1 serving or beans/lentils for sure) would probably help with the cravings.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. My Psychiatrist thinks that I am fine the way I am. According to weight charts and stuff I am considered overweight. She says that I am dense, and I have muscle so I am going to weigh more. I was at the gym, and I happened to take a glimpse of a woman on the scale. She weighed 22 pounds less than me but she looked a lot worse that me. Most people won't guess my weight just by looking at me yet, I fell into the ED trap. I got really sick and I don't want to go back there again. I just want to lose 10pounds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dani,

Post to the "Eat to Live" thread sometime. There are some people over there in the same mindset as you.

I'm a muscular woman, too. It shocks people to know how much I weigh. Try not to get too set on the weight scales.

Eat well and look after yourself!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
wenever I crave things high in protien I opt for beans or fake meats. One I really like is the buffollo wings by health is wealth. I also like the gardenburger riblets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts